Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: A Forum Membership Fee

Quote Originally Posted by RobH
    The idea of rating a persons Membership Fee based on their contribution seems odd to me. How do you determine what merits a real contribution to the forum?? Did someone else say the same thing 2 years ago?? Do they get a discount because they said it first and does the new guy loose his?? ,,,,, snip
    - Yea, I can see how a credit system that rates posts where the credit is ultimately based on a question of the worthiness of this new content / would become ungainly & tedious for those given that task .
    - I guess my suggestion, merits an "F" for insight & practicallity / though hopefully an "E" for effort

And yes, I'm also finished with this thought .

Obsolete
    That would be your take on the situation and you could be wrong in your assessment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    If you're thinking about the Valencia thread, Rob, (now at 18,000 views and 800 posts comprising 54 pages, for those with interest in the numbers,) bear in mind that it has brought together members from Alaska, California, Arizona, Colorado, Arkansas, New York, Minnesota, Kentucky, and Virgina, plus another half-dozen from another site, as serious participants in an unprecedented, open-source, pan-forum, interactive collaboration focused upon investigating and resolving specific issues associated with a vintage Lansing product.
    Oh wow! My response is:
    A.) <deleted>
    B.) <deleted>
    C.) <deleted>
    But my response doesn't matter right now. We are taking this issue offline and solutions will come after the administrators and moderators review them.

If you're thinking about the Valencia thread, Rob, (now at 18,000 views and 800 posts comprising 54 pages, for those with interest in the numbers,) bear in mind that it has brought together members from Alaska, California, Arizona, Colorado, Arkansas, New York, Minnesota, Kentucky, and Virgina, plus another half-dozen from another site, as serious participants in an unprecedented, open-source, pan-forum, interactive collaboration focused upon investigating and resolving specific issues associated with a vintage Lansing product.
    Hello Zilch

The Valencia thread is a half a dozen guys having fun and enjoying the hobby. It’s fine for the moments in time but when it’s done how do you get the useful information out of it without slogging through the whole thread?? Do an index like the QD 4430 thread???

That would work but how about trying to keep it shorter more on topic and concise from the get go???

I was trying to come up with a definition of Bloging that would work on the site. All DIY threads are subject to what can be abrupt changes in direction and content depending on what works. You could start one with a defined driver set and end up with a different set at the end. That’s just the nature of the beast.

One way to keep them more concise is not to post the day by day details of the whole process. We don’t need a daily diary of the project.

Daily posting like that for all intents and purposes is a blog. Running the same thread on 2 forums with links back to here??? Daily updates??? All the links to you own posts between the Forums???

When you post like that you have the usual daily comments and before you know it , it’s a 200 post thread with 75% dead content. What's important is what works. Can we just keep the threads more concise. If it takes a day or a couple of days to work something out we don’t need to see every stage of the work up to the solution on a daily basis. If you feel it’s important to post the "How you got there", do it in a single post with the solution. That way we end up with shorter easier to read and search threads.

You are saying that it's all in one thread??? More like 2 seperate threads on 2 seperate forums. Are you going to add a summary there as well or link to the summary here when your done???

Rob

There is a book out there by Jack Handy.....It's called "Deep Thoughts" and has been translated throughout the world. It covers conspiracy theories, Deja Vu, Questions concerning the "feeling of Inadequacies after the Post". It's a good read for all of us. It changed my life. I went from a 4.7 to a 1.3 post per day average and found that I was able to get things done in my life I have never been able to do before like get that ring around the toilet, get the lint out of the dryer hose and hose down those huge Bull dog turds in my back yard.......I mean that dog knows how to serve a loaf. Anyway thanks to Don for the boards!

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Zilch

The Valencia thread is a half a dozen guys having fun and enjoying the hobby. It’s fine for the moments in time but when it’s done how do you get the useful information out of it without slogging through the whole thread?? Do an index like the QD 4430 thread???
    I believe so, yes, but in a different format than I used there, perhaps, more subject-oriented.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...46&postcount=9

Thank you for your analysis of this forum issue. An open-source collaboration such as this is certainly fun for the engaged participants, but clearly less so for casual observers. I think it's valid activity here: hobbyists getting together to work as a group toward a defined objective. You said it yourself, actually:

I am here to share this hobby with like minded people. That's really about all that motivates me. I am sure I am not alone.
    Before I'd participate in another such endeavor, tho, I think I'd have the presence of mind to formally petition for a slot in "Project Forums." There, it could be accomplished without impacting the main forums in any way. Despite the title: "Specific Projects Undertaken by Lansing Heritage Members," it has not previously been used for this individualized a purpose, so it's new territory I'm exploring here.

[Still thinking this through, obviously.... ]

Obsolete
    You've kind of poisoned the well at this point Zilch... sorry.

I'd recommend following Rob's guidelines instead of arguing the point further. They're super simple solutions.

I'm also sure there is a huge spot on AK that could accomodate your various DIY projects. The audience is much larger and more diverse so you can reach out to more people needing your help or guidance.

Just a thought of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    You've kind of poisoned the well at this point Zilch... sorry.

I'd recommend following Rob's guidelines instead of arguing the point further. They're super simple sulotions.

I'm also sure there is a huge spot on AK that could accomodate your various DIY projects. The audience is much larger and more diverse so you can reach out to more people needing your help or guidance.

Just a thought of course.
    ________
    He is so delusional, so full of himself, he'd "fix" Everest II if he could get his hands on one. Fortunately that is completely out of his grasp... at least for now. I'm sure someday we will all have to suffer through a blog of him hacking one up and making it "right" in lurid detail
    Hmmm. Don't know that I'm "arguing" anything, actually.... :dont-know

A Thought; Limit any Thread to a Maximum Post Count

- The administration could always impose a maximum post count allowed within a thread before it gets closed & locked down . This "known" expirary notice will offer the posters a bit of system discipline since they will know that a deadline looms .

- The admin could also disallow a continuation of the subject ( by the same group ) until they write & post a reasonable index/summary to the present thread ( especially useful if it meanders some ) .

- I see the usefulness of these points as a fewfold ;

(i) It entails a stopping to catch ones collective breath . This in itself allows the participants to divert their attention elsewhere . Maybe good , maybe bad .

(ii) An index needs an organization of posted thoughts to date. The very act of creating this index requires pondering what has been said ( and requires a bit of offline activity to accomplish something comprehensive )

(iii) Some communication may need to be taken offline to jam things into a specific post count . This should mean that OT posts will be unwelcome distractions ( at least in the last 50 posts ) and ought to result in more of them being flagged and deleted by the moderators .

( My time is kind of pooched till Friday / though / I'll endeavor to check in on this subject to see if there's any interest in developing the "limitation" concept )

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Hmmm. Don't know that I'm "arguing" anything, actually.... :dont-know
    Now here we have a classic example of a definite difference of perception. I did not take post 90 as a query for answers at all so therefore view posts 94, 95, and 96 as superfluous.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    - The administration could always impose a maximum post count allowed within a thread before it gets closed & locked down . This "known" expirary notice will offer the posters a bit of system discipline since they will know that a deadline looms .

(i) It entails a stopping to catch ones collective breath . This in itself allows the participants to divert their attention elsewhere . Maybe good , maybe bad .
    We've talked about this - it cannot work.

You are presuming posters would judge the merits / usefulness of their input before posting. No-way. And, no-way everyone would judge things sanely or evenly.

Lastly, if the door is closing, many would rush-in to be heard before they cannot, hastening the closure.

Second lastly, this would merely engender (and require...) duplicate threads and worsen the already less-than-ideal continuity.

It is what it is - free form, often streams of (un)consciousness and gems of real knowledge and experience. It's like panning for gold - it takes discipline and diligence to sift through all the dirt...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

You are saying that it's all in one thread??? More like 2 seperate threads on 2 seperate forums. Are you going to add a summary there as well or link to the summary here when your done???

Rob

Now here we have a classic example of a definite difference of perception. I did not take post 90 as a query for answers at all so therefore view posts 94, 95, and 96 as superfluous.
    I read post 90, by Robh3606, as a query looking for answers. And Zilch answered the query in post 94. If post 94, 95, and 96 are superflous, why did you make post 95? What is the real burr under your blanket?

If the LH forum was to be limited to the people who have such deep knowledge of the audio industry, the unwashed and unclean should have been eliminated from the start. But once you allow us in, the forum becomes what it is. I wonder if Don will allow the cleansing you are discussing. I sure hope not!

Jack Gifford

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by jackgiff View Post
    I read post 90, by Robh3606, as a query looking for answers.
    Well, I had the advantage of a phone call containing additional data. :dont-know
    What is the real burr under your blanket?
    A coprophagous fraud? But that really doesn't matter right now.
    But once you allow us in, the forum becomes what it is.
    We have, and are, discussing that very fact right this moment.
    I wonder if Don will allow the cleansing you are discussing. I sure hope not!
    What cleansing? Suggestions were made.

In any case, this wraps it up:

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    It is what it is - free form, often streams of (un)consciousness and gems of real knowledge and experience. It's like panning for gold - it takes discipline and diligence to sift through all the dirt...
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    I'll know more by midnight Sunday.
    The forum as it currently stands is open. Put into it what you want, take away from it what you want. There is no mechanism in place to curtail spamming or blogging by members who simply cannot help themselves. It is the reader's responsibility to determine the veracity of any information, that burden does not belong to the author or the website, etc., etc., etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo
    We've talked about this - it cannot work.
    I disagree ,

- I'd suggest simply trying it . Set the post count high, to say 500 and see what happens.

- You guys have tried structural changes before and then tweaked them later as the need arose.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    I disagree ,

- I'd suggest simply trying it . Set the post count high, to say 500 and see what happens.
    Hell, I'd choose 99 - we'd already be done with this thread...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Hell, I'd choose 99 - we'd already be done with this thread...
    Geez! I was thinking ten...
    That could be a good project for someone. Figure out the average number of posts before a thread thoroughly goes to hell in a hand basket and that's the number we are looking for.

Thread Information