Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: A Forum Membership Fee

Never stop the flow of information and there is never too many suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
    Never stop the flow of information and there is never too many suggestions.
    Sure, and some people have taken the time to be quite thoughtful and really are trying to be helpful... and a few have simply been trying.

I do not think we can or should devise a filter for "worthy" members... this is a public site and everyone who hasn't been banned for disruptive behavior has the right to post comments as intelligent or otherwise as they like.

The Moderators, Administrators, and even John Nebel, the Forum Member and extremely generous person who helps keep this site running have all said that bringing a mandatory monetary dimension to the site was either unwanted, unwise, or both.

We do have a problem with spammers and have been discussing a variety of methods to reduce the spammer's impact... many of the suggestions that have been posted have been discussed... currently the Spammers are doing no real harm, but we would like to reduce their impact further and will likely be making changes to the registration process.

I personally appreciate the efforts of thread starter EarlK, Pasadena, Johnaec, and the many others who have obviously given this some thought... that said, I'd much rather read Pasadena's comments on his XPL 200s after having lived with them all this time... or hear about John's or Earl's construction projects.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
    I suggest that if anyone who hasn't already put forth their suggestion or those that already have and wish to continue posting further sugeestions without treading on other people's toes, should do so via a PM to the moderator(s).

There's plethora of suggestions already provided in this thread that the moderator's can use, along with PM's that they can make an informed decision and then advise us of their recommendation(s).

The moderator(s) could give us one solution and have that applied and be done with it or give us a top 3 poll.

Cheers
    Pasadena
    Widget,

I think what they are saying is the ball's in your court to take some action.

They are if you like the customer and its your dirty shop that needs sweeping out.

Ultimately if someone was making the right kind of decisions you might actually see more of the right type of people actually posting here. These forums are regarded as a bit of a joke by industry insiders. Go figure.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Ultimately if someone was making the right kind of decisions you might actually see more of the right type of people actually posting here.
    We've talked about that via telephone and ventrilo for years and it just isn't going to happen. They simply do not have the time, nor inclination, to engage in such activity. Plus it's just too pedestrian. Don has stories of very highly gifted individuals with substantial knowledge and experience with respect to their topics literally getting run off forums by the hordes.
    These forums are regarded as a bit of a joke by industry insiders. Go figure.
    Yes, they are, and there's not a whole lot we can do about it. Besides, it really doesn't matter. The industry isn't all that great, it's based on a product that is by no means necessary. It's pure luxury. And a number of them have confessed to me that they wish they had done something meaningful with their lives instead of screwing around with speakers and whatnot the whole time. For alot of people, it's just a job.

...My point is, those who have a vested interest LH will be prepared to waiting and are more likely to be genuine like minded members.
    I couldn't agree, less. Many find this place mid-stride a refurbishing project, or stumbling into something on eBay or in their parent's attic, and are anxious and/or in-need of some information. The immediacy of the Internet is contrary to such arcane membership rules.

...its your dirty shop that needs sweeping out.
    It's actually not so bad - if you ignore the irrelevant pests, there is much relevant going on. As said earlier-on, posters distinguish themselves by their posts - that continues.

Our biggest problem is the mounting and increasingly sophisticated spam - it is dangerous, rude and annoying. At-least Forumites reply to it less which makes it easier to spot...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    It's actually not so bad
    Well, that would be your take on it because you are comfortable with the current state of it. I'm also trying to become comfortable with the current state of it instead of fighting it. Some obviously are not. Some obviously couldn't care less. There have been times when we've all said "Gee, this is really bad!" I think what we have to do is adopt the same attitude Don has. It seems the best course.

For instance, questions pop up about repairing loudspeakers. What do we do? Do we let the people who actually have the depth and breadth of experience handle it or do we let the quick and dirty bailing wire and bubble gum crowd handle it? The answer is, we don't do anything. We don't try to control it. As Don suggested, we make our post based on our knowledge and experience and then get out of the thread. Everyone is free to post whatever, whenever, wherever within the stated guidelines and it is each reader's burden to figure out the best course of action for them. I believe some people will see this as a pretty radical departure from the past but it's really the only way it can work. As Don stated the other day, the astute will quickly figure out for themselves which way is up. As someone at JBL stated, it's a real PITA to have to sift through all the idiotic posts to find that one answer you were looking for but what else can you do. Make your post if you feel it is pertinent and make it as clear and concise as possible and then disenage from the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    For instance, questions pop up about repairing loudspeakers. What do we do? Do we let the people who actually have the depth and breadth of experience handle it or do we let the quick and dirty bailing wire and bubble gum crowd handle it?
    Your answer is the correct one. Let people decide by themselves. To assume knowledge comes with the ability---or desire---to pay the entry fee is the definition of insanity. I've learned who here gives the useful advice and who does not. I've also learned who those are who would rather snub someone asking a question beneath their ken than help someone with less knowledge than they have. As we get older, we're supposed to tolerate the ignorance of those younger, or with less experience, than ourselves. We were all newbies at something once. But then I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about.

...Besides, it really doesn't matter. The industry isn't all that great, it's based on a product that is by no means necessary. It's pure luxury. And a number of them have confessed to me that they wish they had done something meaningful with their lives instead of screwing around with speakers and whatnot the whole time. For alot of people, it's just a job.
    All true, but I hope these people don't sell their contribution short. Most of the time, the only way most people have to listen to music is to reproduce a recording.

As I said elsewhere, the power that music has to move a soul is truly a wonder. When the Taliban fell, it was found that Mullah Omar had been listening to recorded music the entire time. (Remember, under the Taliban, no television, radio, cassettes, records, cd's - nothing was allowed.)

When asked about it by a confidant during his stay in power, he replied, "What is life without music?"

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Why can't we do it like Craig's List does?
    That seems to work very well.

If a post receives a certain number of spam votes from other members, the post is automatically deleted. If it's the first post in a thread, the thread is automatically deleted. No moderator action required.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I've also learned who those are who would rather snub someone asking a question beneath their ken than help someone with less knowledge than they have.
    That's a new one for me. Who here has demonstrated that kind of behavior?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    All true, but I hope these people don't sell their contribution short.
    I think that happens across all occupations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
    If a post receives a certain number of spam votes from other members, the post is automatically deleted. If it's the first post in a thread, the thread is automatically deleted. No moderator action required.

As Don stated the other day, the astute will quickly figure out for themselves which way is up.
    ??? The last time I looked, Don M had not posted here since November of last year. I have been wondering what his opinion was regarding all of this free advice.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    ??? The last time I looked, Don M had not posted here since November of last year. I have been wondering what his opinion was regarding all of this free advice.
    His opinion as expressed to me is that he left his Administrators and Moderators in charge to handle it. So far he seems perfectly fine with how everything is going. I've decided to be perfectly fine with is as well. Less stress. The only issues I know of that have his interest are the spam issue, the inability to publish to the website, the flaky search feature and the broken ftp site, and all that is being worked on.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    ... or hear about John's or Earl's construction projects.
    Well, not a big job, but more complicated than it looks, what with getting angles, clearances, and distances just right... http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...7&postcount=12

John

MEMBERSHIP

Well folks, I've not been on here in a while because of a new venture that requires lots of night work. Goin' to Sturgis in two weeks for the summer, blah blah blah. I've proposed a while ago, some type of membership for a small annual fee of whatever, say 25 bucks, etc and have been a big proponant of contributions to this site and a few (you know who) have stepped up to the plate, most have not. So thats it... $$ talk and bullshit walks. I've received many great ideas here which otherwise could not have been obtained. So I piss a few people off with this idea, so be it. I propose no free-loaders. Now we'll see who's real and whos not. Let the shit fly . Bring it on.
    "It only costs 80% extra to go first class"

In reference to this and your other posts here recently that sounds more like plausible deniability than anything else and it does not exactly explain what your about unless you have micaculously changed your spots or your agenda overnight. ie are you the new owner?
    IAN, you must be drinkin' the same stuff as me, HA
    "It only costs 80% extra to go first class"

Thread Information