Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HD DVD format death knell...?

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...YHbKwD8URS5400

Report: Toshiba May End HD DVD Format

46 minutes ago
    TOKYO (AP) — Japanese electronics maker Toshiba might withdraw its HD DVD next-generation video format, Kyodo News agency reported Saturday.
    The report cited unidentified individuals from the industry as saying Toshiba Corp. is reviewing its operations, with the timing of the withdrawal to be decided later, depending on U.S. demand for its HD DVD products and other factors.
    Calls went unanswered at Toshiba Corp.'s Tokyo office, which was closed for the weekend.
    HD DVD has been competing against the Blu-ray technology, backed by Sony Corp., other makers and five major Hollywood movie studios.
    Recently the Blu-ray disc format has been gaining market share, while Toshiba has been forced to slash prices to sell its HD DVD machines. A Toshiba pullout would signal the almost certain defeat of HD DVD to Blu-ray.
    On Friday, Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the largest U.S. retailer, said it will sell only Blu-ray DVDs and hardware and no longer carry HD DVD offerings.
    The announcement came five days after Netflix Inc. said it will cease carrying rentals in HD DVD. Several major U.S. retailers have made similar decisions, including Target Corp. and Blockbuster Inc.
    Last month, Warner Bros. Entertainment decided to release movie discs only in the Blu-ray format, becoming the latest studio to reject HD DVD.
    Warner Bros., owned by Time Warner Inc., had been the only remaining Hollywood studio releasing high-definition DVDs in both formats.

JBL 4645
    Well that didn’t take too long for the demise of HD-DVD only leaves Bluray now doesn’t it and I’m not even going to touch that because SONY will never every realise SDDS8 channel onto the format war disc yes true five screen channels I don’t want more surround channels I can get that though matrix techniques.

So I really hope Bluray is next on the casualty list, because I hardly see anyone looking at Bluray discs in ASDA also HMV, this whole thing has been a waste of bits that must have cost billions worldwide.

JBL 4645

Talking Don’t cry for me HD-DVD

It won't be easy, you'll think it strange
    When I try to explain how I feel
    that I still need your love after all that I've done

You won't believe me
    All you will see is a HD-DVD you once knew
    Although she's dressed up to the nines
    At zeros and ones with you

I had to let it happen, I had to change
    Couldn't stay all my life down at heel
    Looking out of the window, staying out of the sun

So I chose Bluray
    Running around, trying everything new
    But nothing impressed me at all
    I never expected it to

Chorus:

Don't cry for me HD-DVD
    The truth is I never left you
    All through my wild days
    My mad existence
    I kept my promise
    Don't keep your distance

And as for fortune, and as for fame
    I never invited them in
    Though it seemed to the world they were all I desired

They are illusions
    They are not the solutions they promised to be
    The answer was here all the time
    I love you and hope you love me

Don't cry for me HD-DVD

(chorus)

Have I said too much?
    There's nothing more I can think of to say to you.
    But all you have to do is look at me to know
    That every word is true

What a waste of good bits in your doublepost!

Like I told you before, just wait a couple years and it will be affordable, but, its NOT going away ...Bluray is NOT going to be on a casualty list - its too much of a money-maker. The studios can sell all their films again, in an improved format. Its like selling Remastered albums to folks who already own the original LP, and own the first CD release and own the previous remaster, etc ... Some folks will buy the same content over and over each time it gets "improved", and that makes the Studios and the content owners lots of money.

There will be a HighDefinition DVD system, it looks like the standard is gong to be the Blu-ray system and vendors are jumping ship from the cheaper HD-DVD system. None of your whining (or cheeseball screen-caps) will going to change that. Get over it Ashley, in 10 years or less your Standard Def (SD) DVDs (and mine, and everyone else's) are going to look as ugly on screen as VHS tapes do to us now. Once the price comes down (and it will) folks will get used to the better image quality and
    sound of the blu-ray discs.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Well that didn’t take too long for the demise of HD-DVD only leaves Bluray now doesn’t it and I’m not even going to touch that because SONY will never every realise SDDS8 channel onto the format war disc yes true five screen channels I don’t want more surround channels I can get that though matrix techniques.

So I really hope Bluray is next on the casualty list, because I hardly see anyone looking at Bluray discs in ASDA also HMV, this whole thing has been a waste of bits that must have cost billions worldwide.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Never I, will not go quietly into the night without saying, this is all a big Hollywood Jewish conspiracy, to milk consumers. I don’t want any rotten Sony play station I, dislike playing games, with a bunch idiots who drink.

The only way there get me to buy a Sony Bluray is when they take my DVD player away from dead cold fingers.

I don’t want Bluray, Bluray is Evil…

I hear you 4645. Nobody's going to take my Betamax or 8-track player from me either.

JBL 4645
    I see a real bad development here what if, 90% are still buying DVD discs and only 10% on Bluray, now that SONY has hold of the market, what if, no one buys the Bluray players and the discs are just sitting on the shelves.

While at the same time most are buying DVD discs, which are far more affordable and enjoyable as well.

This format-war was all about [bit size date storage] nothing more oh, what a palaver.

I see a real bad development here what if, 90% are still buying DVD discs and only 10% on Bluray, now that SONY has hold of the market, what if, no one buys the Bluray players and the discs are just sitting on the shelves.

This format-war was all about [bit size date storage] nothing more oh, what a palaver.
    But - they ARE buying Blu-ray and Playstation3 is a cheap way into it ...
    Ashley, you REALLY need to LOOK at HDTV and DVDs to see what the hooha is all about, it IS a cleaner better picture than standard DVDs -

Even Harman Kardon is going the Blu-ray way ...

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/02/13...ray-bandwagon/

http://www.electronista.com/articles....does.blu.ray/

('cause after all, this IS a site for Harman gear, hey?)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    But - they ARE buying Blu-ray and Playstation3 is a cheap way into it ...
    Ashley, you REALLY need to LOOK at HDTV and DVDs to see what the hooha is all about, it IS a cleaner better picture than standard DVDs -

Even Harman Kardon is going the Blu-ray way ...

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/02/13...ray-bandwagon/

http://www.electronista.com/articles....does.blu.ray/

('cause after all, this IS a site for Harman gear, hey?)
    Well Heather until someone is very kind enough to let me see hear a demonstration and under my own inspection I will not be satisfied with it and I will not have a Sony play station in the home no way, it looks like a kiddies toy for playing games on.

Go out, go to the store and give them a view - they are selling like crazy on their own, so no one is gonna loan you one.

Then again, if you don't have an HDTV to watch on, its all moot anyway, now isn't it?

You have no HD television, so you have NO IDEA what you are even talking about.
    Playing HD on that little TV of yours, yeah, you'd never see the difference, it wouldn't matter to you.

Well Heather until someone is very kind enough to let me see hear a demonstration and under my own inspection I will not be satisfied with it

JBL 4645
    Well I might buy a HD-Ready video protector one day, maybe I mean it’s an option, but I see it mostly being used for laserdisc and DVD, maybe Bluray, maybe.

I don’t want to borrow a Bluray player and few discs I want to see it being demonstrated around someone’s home not some junkyard electronics store down Bournemouth high street. Well there is that Hi-Fi store in Westover Road, Suttons Hi-Fi but I doubt they could even impress me to the fullest, well maybe.

Sorry, no I’m not sorry at all, because of this format war that is why I’m so cynical about the whole thing.

RIP 2009
    Home Theater Magazine recently chose the Playstation 3 as the Product of the Year because of it's Blue-Ray DVD capabilities vs. cost. Besides an expensive Pioneer unit, it said it was the only DVD player that lets you advance movies frame by frame. That said, they had reservations about its audio capabilities, mainly that you have to use optical connections for "theater" audio, and PCM, not HDMI: http://hometheatermag.com/discplayer...lu/index1.html

It still received Product of the Year in their 2008 Buyer's Guide.

John

JBL 4645
    Pioneer has always been a favourite in the days of laserdisc even duel laserdisc with DVD. So does Pioneer do a HD-DVD Bluray version combining both technologies this will take a lot to convince me that Bluray is the thing for me.

And it only took one listen to JBL at the Empire back on Wednesday 13th September 1989 Indiana Jones in 70mm six-track Dolby SR a mere few minintes and I was hooked on JBL from that day onwards.

So should I take my cynical hide down to a showroom where they have one set-up and go though it with a fine tooth comb?

Never I, will not go quietly into the night without saying, this is all a big Hollywood Jewish conspiracy, to milk consumers.
    I've been somewhat forgiving of your peculiarities, until now. I'm pretty sure you've crossed the line here, but then I'm certain you'll never, ever, notice any such line. At 5'-6" and 250-lbs., my father was a "big Jewish conspiracy" who'd not have taken your reference lightly. At 6'-2", 205-lbs., with a Protestant mother, I may be only half the Jew he was, but I'm still offended by your choice of words. We're a very tolerant lot here, mostly because we don't go out of the way to offend anyone, anyone's beliefs, or anyone's sexual preference. You might want to engage your brain before you put your mouth in gear the next time. I'm disappointed in you. Just a well-intentioned suggestion.

JBL 4645
    BMWCCA

It was flipping joke most know that Hollywood is made up of Jewish directors and producers and so on and I have every respect for them. Come on mate if you want I’ll take the piss out of my own country right here if you want, but I’d rather do it in the pm.

If I didn’t like them I wouldn’t see any of Steven Spielberg’s films.

I’m not Mel Gibson, and we all know how he feels about the issue LOL and I bet he’s on the Bluray conspiracy with a theory.

Thread Information