Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: early christmas gifts ....

early christmas gifts ....

I was driving down the street last weekend after some Christmas shopping and spotted some big speakers out at the curb. turned out to be an Olympus (S-7 system) and a D1002 (with hi-freq modified to match the Olympus with the slant lens) and a third speaker that I've yet to identify. The guy clearing out his garage helped me load them, and refused any payment at all. I think I'll have to send him a Christmas basket. Any guesses on what the third speaker is?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

closer look at mystery speaker

I thought it might be a furniture finished version of an old Altec when I saw it from the street.
    glen

Quote Originally Posted by glen
    I was driving down the street last weekend after some...
    Maybe he stole them from the proverbial "little old lady from Pasadena"... Congratulations!!!!

Merry Christmas and all that lot!

Widget

label on back of the D-1002 cabinet

woofer is torn up, haven't tested horn
    glen

Congratulations.

Keep us posted.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Wow

I am a trashpicker from way back, but you have me beat.
    Did you get a chance to look in the other cabinet yet?
    Might be a 604, or an old Jensen, that guy had great taste.
    Harry

Love it. Maybe I sould relinquish my "Fred Sanford" nickname to you?

Good luck with them. Now you see why I always drive a big, empty truck...just in case!

je

So Glen if I am reading this right, you now have several singles?

It might be awhile before their mates turn up...

Widget

Regis
    Great find! Gawd, I'm envious!

singles...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    So Glen if I am reading this right, you now have several singles?

It might be awhile before their mates turn up...

Widget

Yeah, these will be joining my other lonely singles: A C-34 and an L54 trimline (shown in the photo gallery) and ***warning: non-lansing*** Stephens Trusonic 12 inch 2-way cabinet. The fruit of years spent scouring thrift shops and rummage sales.

Maybe we should open a Lansing Heritage singles bar where lonely speakers might meet their mates?
    glen

unwrapping gift #1

Quote Originally Posted by yggdrasil
    Congratulations.
    Keep us posted.
    Opened up the newest cabinet, the wood grilled Olympus, to start things off.
    It was an S6 system (not the S7).
    An early one with an LE15 (not LE15A) making it a vintage 1960 or 61.
    The edge surround is solid as a rock! But apparently not cracked that I can see, a candidate for the brake fluid treatment?
    Pictures below, opening the D-1002 next, saving the mystery cabinet for last.
    glen

opening up the D-1002

Well, this was good news and bad news.
    First the bad news: no Jim Lansing Signature components that would have been appropriate for a D-1002, and no crossover at all. And the D130 woofer has a torn, stained cone.
    The good news: bolted to the butchered baffle that doesn't even cover the square hole in the front of the cabinet is an LE75 driver with horn and lens matching the one in the S6 system in the C50 Olympus cabinet. In fact the serial number on the fracturing decal is just 10 off from the one in the Olympus (3726 & 3736)

Looks like when the owner wanted to update to stereo he bought the C50/S6 and then installled some sort of matching components in the empty D-1002 box. Maybe he already had the D130 around? I wouldn't think a JBL dealer would sell that as a match for an LE15. And that weird cheese-cloth wrapped batting on the sides and back of the enclosure? Maybe Steve Schell knows whether that is original?

I was pretty down hearted when I realized the D-1002 didn't contain any of the original components, finding replacements for a restoration wouldn't be easy.

But then, there was that third "mystery" cabinet...
    glen

mystery solved! (sort-of)

Opening up the third speaker, the one that originally caught my eye as I was driving along an unfamiliar street proved to be the most fun of all.

Here were the D-1001 Jim Lansing Signature components!

No crossover, mounted eccentrically, and the H-1000 horn seems to have one corner of the mounting flange cut off, but there they were.

The woofer is the D130A and the horn driver is designated D-175 as in the 1948 brochure (compared to the D-175H name in 1949) BUT neither has a serial number that I can make out on the typewritten model tag. I was photographing the tags with the aid of an inspection mirror, didn't actually lay eyes on them until I blew up the digital pictures later, but no serial numbers?

Did they only assign serial numbers to the drivers that were sold separately?
    Could this have been a system sold to a factory employee?
    And does anyone recognize the cabinet? material attached to the back looks like crepe paper. Original baffle cut-out looks like it's for a single 15 with a big rectangular port below.

So it looks llike Santa brought me MOST of a D-1002 after all!
    glen

Outrageous!!!!!!

Glen, it is just so neat that you scored all this stuff. I'm just in from an 18 hour workday, but I'll try to remain coherent. Perhaps this glass of merlot will help... hic!

It does look like the owner was trying to cobble up a match for the Olympus in the D-1002 cabinet. The original components and baffle board are long gone. The cheesecloth and rock wool padding are typical of the way Jim Lansing did things and absolutely original- the Lansing Iconic boxes are padded the same way, only with thinner pads. He probably made this box himself, so guard it with your life!

The other cabinet was made by Stephens; I've got the catalog somewhere that shows this box. The paper padding is probably Kimsul, an insulation product of Kimberly Clark in those days that was often used for speaker box padding. My parents packed the ashtrays they made in their 1950s ceramics business with Kimsul for shipping. Just search for "Annie Laura" most anytime on ebay to see the map ashtrays they made. I've had Stephens utility enclosures (Iconic copies) in the past that were lined with Kimsul.

The drivers in the Stephens box are pure gold- Van Nuys era D-1000 series drivers. The woofer is a "flat back, no hole" as I call it D130 or 130A. Can you check the label on this one? I have believed up to now that all of the drivers with no vent hole in back were made in San Marcos or Venice. The H1000 horn and 175 driver are correct for your D-1002. Hey, come to think of it, the previous owner may have pulled these components out of the D-1002 box when he installed the components to match it to the Olympus.You will be able to make a new baffle for the D-1002 box, reinstall these and have a close to original system.

Anyway, most all this stuff is worth a lot on ebay, and I regard the early JBL components and cabinet as priceless. Fantastic score.

norealtalent
    Nice score Glen. Been livin' right eh?

Merry Christmas everybody

Thread Information