Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wow, OCS...

Probably wouldn't stand up in a court of law. JBL does not condone refoaming their speakers. Therefore, any refoaming is inherently wrong.

While original foams came on the back, there are certainly many examples of quality speakers (JBL INCLUDED!) that foam to the front ($700 W15GTI attaches surround to teh front). As such, it could reasonably be argued either side could be acceptable if total JBL assemblies were not installed.

Not saying it's right, only that if pressed, a valid arguement could be made for their side also.

Quote Originally Posted by norealtalent
    For simplicity, give OCS the opportunity to make it right to your satisfaction. They are "professionals," at least they claim to be, and they know how to refoam a JBL properly. There are legal implications here. As paid "professionals," they have a responsibility to perform work in accordance with professional standards or be held liable for the damages. Any credit card company will back you up on this. You also have legal rights and government resources at your disposal. When I had problems with a licensed California business who sent me a pair of "Lancer" speakers instead of a pair of JBL Lancers as they described them, this is who helped me get a full refund and informed me of professional liabilities and consumer rights in the State of California.

Consumer/Environmental Protection Unit
    Orange County District Attorney's Office
    401 Civic Center Dr.
    West Santana, CA 92701
    714-347-8706
    Fax: 714-568-1250

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin
    Probably wouldn't stand up in a court of law. JBL does not condone refoaming their speakers. Therefore, any refoaming is inherently wrong.

While original foams came on the back, there are certainly many examples of quality speakers (JBL INCLUDED!) that foam to the front ($700 W15GTI attaches surround to teh front). As such, it could reasonably be argued either side could be acceptable if total JBL assemblies were not installed.

Not saying it's right, only that if pressed, a valid arguement could be made for their side also.
    OK....everyone take a deep breath...hold it.....let it out....aaahhhh...relax .

Tell OCS your speakers have a problem...and you are not satisfied with the repair. No need to yell...just stand your ground from a satisfaction standpoint. You assumed that they would do the repair to what a factory original speaker should look like, since they are JBL Authorized Service. Did they mention the spiders are fatigued and recommended a recone to do the job thoroughly? Or did you ok the economical approach to refoam, knowing that it might be a temporary fix? Did they point out all the details and costs?... or just say a refoam is x-amount of dollars and leave it at that and you said "ok"?

Todd...the newer JBL models were designed and aligned with the foam on the front so that's not really the issue. It comes down to repairing to as original as possible within cost options....that's what a true repair is. A rebuild as in "recone" is a different process with all new moving parts just like rebuilding an engine with an old block and all new moving parts.

At the end of the day...did all parties come away satisfied? If OCS wants to maintain customers in the internet age, they will do what they can to rectify the problem...and possibly do better, more diligent work in the future. If they don't...bad news travels faster than good...especially in today's world. Give them a chance to redeem themselves...OCS is run by a pretty nice family...I do business with them frequently. I buy some parts from them...and they sometimes buy from me.

I truly hope you both become satisfied and move on. If not...lick your wounds and find another service facility.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thanks for the recone wisdom edge!!. This is one reason we all come here!!
    Always fun learning more.......

Southern California, Orange County, Huntington Beach
    Thanks for all your wisdom guys! honestly im not even mad really, though my dad encourages me that i should get angry with this. When i first saw the edges, the 2nd thing i thought, ohwell looks like i'll have to be like Titanium Dome and specifically question about how they reedge things if i ever do this again in the future. But i'll probably call them anyway since it is definately not right what they did, and as a consumer i should atleast have standards.

Goes to show however, you can never work based on assumption in this world.

Lesson Learned: Always question about the exact procedures in the future when getting anything repaired, for me
    Young, but i love speakers!

I don't buy that, "if the back of the cone is too damaged" business. With the glues that fully-stocked reconers have available, you could glue a surround to the Rocky Mountains... the glues are THAT tacky. Ask any good reconer about Waldom AA-74 or WVS A-74, for one example...

It's one thing to "fudge" when the alternatives are HARD (ie, not being able to get "perfect" parts, etc)... but when it's this easy, it's just disappointing. I've never had a situation with a 2214H, where I had to do ANYTHING other than properly install the surround FROM THE BACK. The surrounds are easily avilable, to do the job properly. I know, I just re-ordered some less than a month ago...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Thread Information