Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Break-in. Best Practice or BS?

All things mechanical need time to "seat". There is an optimum temperature where things are just "right". Sort of like a Pitcher warming up before a game...or a cold engine in the morning. Even compression driver's sound a little better after some "run-in" . I don't understand the cut and dried nature of some of the posts here....a little thought and common sense will usually answer the question. Non of this stuff is voo-doo... and that Aquaplas thread...I can't wait to hear the results of the DIYer's results on fragile $150.00 diaphragms. Those titanium domes will only take so much poking around on til it's ruined. I'm pretty confident that GT and company have some pretty good experience with R&D and how to apply it right. But maybe some here are experts too.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    It really surprises me what some people will do to break-in a speaker.
    Even Sanfilipo's description of the process "to thoroughly stretch out the spider, without damaging the unit...." is an invitation to destruction at the hand of the unwitting.

It's inherently contradictory; the spider will typically stretch beyond the indeterminate damage limit.

The better choice is to exercise the driver at moderate levels for several hours, in my view. For the masses, that simply means "Play 'em."

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    and that Aquaplas thread... I can't wait to hear the results of the DIYer's results on fragile $150.00 diaphragms. Those titanium domes will only take so much poking around on til it's ruined.
    I think that's why I offered to do them.

I posted the data from tonight above in another post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    After a couple of posts we find out that he tore the suspension on a new E-145 recone by running it to it's rated X-Max to break it in. Now why on earth would you drive a speaker that hard on purpose to begin with.
    Well at least now I understand the motivation to start the thread in the first place. Thanks for the "visual" Rob. I guess I never realized people were that... Oh! Who am I kidding! I have come to realize it...

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Thanks for the "visual" Rob. I guess I never realized people were that... Oh! Who am I kidding! I have come to realize it...
    Edge and I have been discussing just how.... some people are via a series of PMs. It's no wonder companies print disclaimers like, "Repeatedly hitting yourself in the head with this hammer will likely send you to the hospital." and the like...

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Edge and I have been discussing just how.... some people are via a series of PMs. It's no wonder companies print disclaimers like, "Repeatedly hitting yourself in the head with this hammer will likely send you to the hospital." and the like...

Widget
    "Careful- Coffee is Hot" comes to mind.
    and
    "That guy knows just enough about it to be dangerous" fits some fools too a "T"

Quote Originally Posted by moldyoldy
    .....To be fair, I'll suspend the (premature) verdict while the jury deliberates.....
    News Flash!**************

The prosecution just moved for a retrial, it seems the jury's out to lunch and ain't comin' back. Case dismissed.

Time to get Aquaplastered! First round's on me.

Rob,

One of the most common errors is understanding how X max is measured

Thread Information