Hey everyone... first off just wanted to introduce myself. Maybe 10 years ago i picked up a pair of l88's from a friend for 15 bucks if i remember correctly . theyve been the workhorses that have seen every bit of media ive enjoyed over the last 10 years. they were setup as my fronts for my 5.1 system for a long time. about a year ago i began transitioning back to vinyl, and my sony-digi-reciever wasnt cutting it, so i had my old sony STR-V7 made useable once again by the local vintage stereo shop. anyway i blew some hard earned cash on some Polk lsi9's for the 5.1 system, and separated the two systems. Long story short ive got the 150 watt sony V7 driving the l88's. From what i can tell its a decent speaker, but sounds a bit muddy and vague to me (even after fiddling with the crossover knob on the back). on the same note, if i play the same stuff through the digi setup with the lsi9's everything feels lifeless, flat, and rather "clinical" for lack of a better word.

anyway the first reason im here is to ask for your oppinions on the l88's and the V7 amp. im looking to upgrade to some L100's, L166's or some studio monitor equivalants with the same footprint.

The second order of business would be to ask you guys, how far can i take the sony V7 before i end up with the sound equivalant of "diminshing returns"?

And the last thing i wanted to ask about are the L166's and L100's. Ive been searching on this board for some time, and the more i dig the more i realize that there seem to be ENDLESS iterations of these speakers and studio monitor's that seem to have the same the same general setup (3 way with a 12" woofer), with nearly the same dimentions, and seemingly many of the same drivers as eachother. Ive narrowed my next progression in speakers to L100's or L166's... but for what reason im not sure. can anyone shed some light on the various itterations of these speakers, and their pros and cons? Thanks so much for your time, and i look forward to this addiction that is JBL. -Heath