Thread: Handmade Ersatz M9500 Speakers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    I also plan to work with these Usher drivers. They use the original 2235H cone BTW.
    There was an interesting Project with two Ushers in a german speaker builder magazine. I'll try to find better pics but it's down right on the title here:
    http://www.hobbyhifi.de/Aktuell/Aktu...e_ausgabe.html

What HF compensation do you use?
    Guido,

I do not use any HF compensation, like JBL do with the DMS-1. The DE500 is somewhat of a poor man's TAD 4001. It is very flat when compared to the compression driver used in the DMS-1 (JBL 2450). So, I am driving everything flat across the audio spectrum.

It's great to know that the 15HM is "partly a JBL" (please, no flames! :-), even if it is just a 2235H cone. Is Usher just using the same cone supplier that JBL once used? I think I remember reading that it was a German company.

By the way, Guido, if you are really considering buying some 15HMs, they are now on sale for $159 at www.partsexpress.com (item: 296-630). Parts Express will ship internationally (to Germany) by UPS, and they will accept PayPal for payment. Back in 2003, I saw a German price of 350 Euro quoted in "Hobby HiFi" for the 15HM, so this might be a good deal even with the international shipping. It's almost as good a deal as the PE sale on the JBL 1500SUB sub-woofers a year or two ago, and those units sure sold out fast. Luckily, I got two of them.

Speaking of "Hobby HiFi", I would love to see some more of their 15HM article, if you have a chance.

Linear

Quote Originally Posted by linear
    ...even if it is just a 2235H cone.
    Even if it is the same cone... Do they use a mass ring?, Since the surround is a fabric surround, even if the cone, mass ring, voice-coil, spider, and motor were the same... it would still be something other than a 2235. It may be an excellent woofer, I have no idea, but it certainly isn't a 2235.

From what I can tell, Usher is really good at making drivers that look like other people's drivers... I am not so sure they sound like other people's drivers. (I am thinking about their various tweeters and kevlar mids etc.)

Widget

Thread Information