Thread: theaters still using altec VOTTs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

theaters still using altec VOTTs

hi y'all

i am iching to hear the VOTTS again in a theater but i do not know of any. does anyone know of some or any in the US?

regards
    todd

There was an "Art House" theater here in San Francisco that still had A-7s in one of their auditoriums... it was horrible sounding. No bass, lots of screeching mids and no treble... fortunately they upgraded about 5-10 years ago.

Those A-7s were pretty good back in the days of glorious monaural optical sound that had no range.

Widget

A couple or so years back I saw Roger Ebert's showing of the restored Lawrence of Arabia at the Virginia Theater, a restored old movie palace in Champaign Illinois. Robert Harris, the fella that restored the movie, was there and Ebert had a couple of crack projectionists in from Hollywood so the picture would be displayed properly, Harris said it never looked better. People were oohing and aahing at the quality of the picture.

The sound, from Altec A4s with freshly diaphragmed 288s on Mantarays, was almost as good as the picture. It sounded just like..... Lawrence of Arabia.

Yep! The theater right here in town is using three a7's. They sound like crap right now. If only I could get the owner to realize I know what I'm doing, and let me have a go at that theaters sound. I would double his business. They are running everything with Peavy amps . They got rid of there BIG Western Electric tube amps *BIG MISTAKE* . I wish I could have got my hands on those, I think they may have thrown them away . Tell ya what, when they had the WE's hooked up to the system, and everything was in phase. OH! what a sweet sound, bring's tears to my eye's . The VOT A7's are built for great sound in an entire theater environment. There isn't a bad seat in the house. Here's why: The VOT A7's are a combination of a port for nearfield, and a horn for longer throw. Makes everybody happy that is watching the movie. I am a big fan of the Altec Lansing VOT speakers. Thanks for letting me vent...

Two Time "Kidney Transplant Recipient"

Loud -

Find yourself a home version of the VOTT and you will be in heaven.

I have the 846U which is a home version of the VOTT and I could not be happier. They are hooked up to my receiver and I use them everyday - movies, Tivo, and music.

Before you know it, there won't be any around or the prices will be high. Grab a pair now for under $1500 and you will never have to buy another pair of speakers in your life!

-Storm

A7

Colfax, California; Colfax Theater. Very old and small movie house, Vitavox era equipment in the lobby.... now up to date with the best house sound system the 1950's had to offer.

Took the family there for the last "Star Wars" opening. Went late at night, sound was way better than that at the brand new ciniplex. Vocal were clear and articulate... good extension.... highs were adequate for movie soundtracks.

With all due respect to Widget, who can hear and shows excellent taste in everything I've seen him do (picks a great place for lunch too).....I'm guessing the implementation is all in the details.

Cyclotronguy
    Last edited by Cyclotronguy; 12-13-2006 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Can't communicate clearly

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post

Loud -

Find yourself a home version of the VOTT and you will be in heaven.

I have the 846U which is a home version of the VOTT and I could not be happier.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/.../1980-vott.htm

I too really dig the sound of old ALtecs, but are the 846s really considered VOTT?

I thought the only VOTT cabinet ALtec Marketed for home use was the Magnificent...

RE: the 846s
    are the components of the same era & type, yes
    were they ever called VOTT by the factory, ??? I dunno....

but had thought that the VOTT line was typically named things like:
    A1, A5, A7, A8, etc.... with whatever variation giving an idea of the specific load/crossover components...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    There was an "Art House" theater here in San Francisco that still had A-7s in one of their auditoriums... it was horrible sounding. No bass, lots of screeching mids and no treble... fortunately they upgraded about 5-10 years ago.

Those A-7s were pretty good back in the days of glorious monaural optical sound that had no range.

Widget
    The story of the A7 was short lived and Cinema owners reacted and changed quickly to A5. The reason was the 1" throat wich is to small.The word got out so fast that Altec Lansing Main speakers became the norm with models from A5 and up and remained in theatres untill the Early 90's.

.................................................. ..

Just pony up $11,800.00 USD (ahhh, free shipping!) and you can have a pair of new A7's.

http://www.alteclansing.com/legacy/specs.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Paul C. View Post
    Just pony up $11,800.00 USD (ahhh, free shipping!) and you can have a pair of new A7's.

http://www.alteclansing.com/legacy/specs.asp

Thanks but no thanks. The Xo frequency is wrong should be 500 Hz not 900 Hz. Second for theatre application wrong horn and HF driver to small Need 1 1/4 "throat Driver. Large Driver.

The A-5 is the only acceptable Vott for theatre usage .It has the same unequalized frequency range as the A-4 and A-2 with wings.

If you get the parts and have the cabinets built you can get a better product for half the price.

.................................................. ...........

slxrti

Great america

About 15 years ago I heard a pair in a small theater @ great america.
    It was Dynamic with plenty of bass. Very impressive.

slxrti

slightly OT, but

went to TGIF for lunch. They had some small BOSE speakers on brackets near the ceiling. They sounded even worse than normal blose speakers.
    Took a look. they were turned inward , grills touching the wall. Kinda kills the highs (if there ever were any)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I was lucky to see the Wind Jammer in Cinerama on a 90 foot curved screen equiped with 5 A-2X . That's 2 Cell horns with 2 drivers each on top of the front loaded basss horns. Then the next best films were The Sting, Cabaret, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, and The Sound Of Music . These were shown on 70mm with A-4 ,3 behind the screen.

I saw Moulin Rouge on JBL in a THX certified cinema. Someting wrong here
    1: To Loud; 2 Vocals not as clear as on A-2 .

The large frame film is making a slow comeback . To be cost effective there needs to be 300 cinemas.

THe new equipment will be available in 48FPS or 24FPS. At 48FPS one can sit anny were in the cinema and have a spectacular view.

As for the venerable VOTT . These cinema's have all closed in the late 80's to early 90's. Perhaps one of the major reason was Suburbia. New Megaplex cinema's had to be built were there were none .

The last film on VOTT was "FINAL ANALYSIS" in a small theatre equiped with Altec surrounds and most probably Altec A-5 behind the screen. The A-7 Were not a common theatre speaker for some bad experiences but that is another long story.

.................................................. .......................
    Last edited by CONVERGENCE; 12-14-2006 at 07:56 PM. Reason: SPELLING AND CONCLUSION

Thread Information