Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Charge coulpled L96/3313B crossovers?

Hello Nathan

That goes to ground, negative input ie schematic negative of the drivers, all the same point, not the individual driver negs which can be used in either polarity depending on the system design.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...3-k2-s5500.htm

JBL uses CC Solen networks in the Everest. There was quite a row about that and if the Solens were good enough. My point of view is the designer is happy with this. He knows what he's doing and I would make them a starting point as they are relatively inexpensive. Have a listen and if you feel the need try the more expensive audiophille caps. Send Ian a PM as he has tried different caps in his 4345's for an opinion. I have a pair of 4344 Ian built the networks for using Holovands?? and they are sweet!!! Bottom line is you really need to give it a go yourself to see which you like best.

Rob

Thanks Rob!

When you are building a cost no object speaker and Solens was the capacitor of choice (in an area where ANY big$ capacitor could have gone in there), it is testament to both the quality of the brand, and the subjective nature of audio. I already wired in Solens, so I'll know soon enough.

Is there any advantage to bypassing capacitors in a charge coupled network?

Nathan.

With the Solens the word is they sound better without when run in a CC network.

Rob

I've posted an oscillograph of charge-coupling in action in these forums.

It moves the operating point to 9V, and signals with negative peaks less than that don't go through zero. Thus, there is no charge reversal or zero-crossing distortion.

In theory, it would work just as well around -9V if the battery is reversed, which I've done inadvertently on occasion. One side goes to "common," is all, assuming there is one in the circuit. Audio is AC.

Bypassing operates differently, but is generally regarded as unnecessary when biasing is used.

I quit bypassing when I switched to Solens, anyway....

Here's the tentative parts list. Criticism welcome:

[I'm scanning a board layout. It's 9.5" x 6.0". Takes room to charge-couple.... ]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nightbrace
    Sorry I didn't notice this sooner, I will get pics of my nets and the parts list when I get home. I didn't know you wanted to get started so quickly.

I can't really comment on the actual building or design theory behind these networks, as I did little more than pay for them and plug and play. All I know is that the sound is fantastic. And I can't imagine why the L96 cannot benefit from the same networks as my 4313B's.

Nightbrace
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    With the Solens the word is they sound better without when run in a CC network.

Rob

Hmm, I'm pretty sure mine are Dayton , but they still sound good.

It moves the operating point to 9V, and signals with negative peaks less than that don't go through zero. Thus, there is no charge reversal or zero-crossing distortion.
    Hello Zilch

With an AC signal why would the peaks effect the DC bias?? I always thought they were mutually exclusive and the AC would ride on the DC. The DC component of the voltage sums would remain constant.

Rob

Nightbrace
    Quote Originally Posted by briang View Post

I'll likely use the existing L96 crossovers (if practical) and solder/desolder as needed to create the new filter circuits. If I need an additional bread board, I can do that too...

Your gonna have to buy all new components, I kept my 3113B networks in case I ever wanted to go back to the stock in the future or if I ever decide to sell them as I doubt I'd get more for a speaker with modded nets.

I wasn't terribly disappointed with the 3113B nets, but the CC nets are better in almost everyway and worth the effort. I gotta spend more of my time learning about network design as the improvements that can be made in a simple system with GREAT transducers like your L96's is nothing short of spectacular. I never really was "into" a contemporary network design till I swapped these in.

Nightbrace
    Hello Zilch

With an AC signal why would the peaks effect the DC bias?? I always thought they were mutually exclusive and the AC would ride on the DC. The DC component of the voltage sums would remain constant.

Rob
    They operate independently.

Hello Zilch

Rob
    Yes, that's correct. With the AC riding on +9V DC, there's no zero crossing until the negative AC peak is -9V. Typically, HF alone never gets there:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...34&#post130034

It's also easy to see that big LF would carry the HF along with it through zero. Fortunately, the filters usually separate them....

Nightbrace
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Yes, that's correct. With the AC riding on +9V DC, there's no zero crossing until the negative AC peak is -9V. Typically, HF alone never gets there:
    What will happen should it get to -9V?

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Here's the tentative parts list. Criticism welcome:

[I'm scanning a board layout. It's 9.5" x 6.0". Takes room to charge-couple.... ]
    I'll put the order in to PE. Thanks Zilch!

Now, what is your favorite beer?
    Paying debt to Karma...

voltage rating of capacitor

any thougts on raising the "bias" voltage to 18v or 27v? We need to stay within the ratings of the capacitor of course, but why not bias higher? I'm curious on thoughts regarding this. Discuss......
    Frederick

The capacitors typically used are 200V minimum, so that's not an issue.

I believe Earl K and/or Tim G have tried other bias voltages. Check their posts on this subject for some info.

There was talk of using LOWER voltages, actually, as I recall.... :dont-know

Thread Information