Page 21 of 59 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Look at my new babies...Altec 846Bs w/EV Tweeters!

Quote Originally Posted by moldyoldy View Post
    Source, do you know if replacement 'frams can be had for those Klipsch jobbies? Got a pair of $5 duds around here somewhere that need fixin'.

To which model number are you referring? If it is a K-67 they only way to get them fixed is to have a serial number for a RF-7 or a RC-7 Klipsch will not sell parts. They will only fix, or send you a new one with a serial number.

J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Quote Originally Posted by jackgiff View Post
    Zilch, they are all N800F's, which are sealed in a can, along with the "Shelfing Control", which I assume is an L-Pad. I have never opened one, but will make the attempt if it will further the cause. I have e-mailed with other people about the internal values, and one person told me he had opened one, but nothing was marked. Want me to give it a go?

Jack Gifford
    I also had one open in those 846A's that I was working on and nothing was marked.
    So I popped riveted it back together and went on working on them from there.

J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Here is another shot of a 846B network for you to peruse.

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jeff-S1A

Quote Originally Posted by sourceoneaudio View Post
    To which model number are you referring? If it is a K-67 they only way to get them fixed is to have a serial number for a RF-7 or a RC-7 Klipsch will not sell parts. They will only fix, or send you a new one with a serial number.

J/S-S1A
    They're K-67s. Oh well, at the time, it was a choice between a cute little pair of Tractrix horns or a Big Mac...still don't miss the Big Mac. I feel no loss, but what's your guy gonna do if he fries one?

Noodlin' around for stuff, I'm finding similar horns that size for thread-on drivers, and we know what to use with them.

Saw a Ramsa (I think it was) box at Audivex yesterday with one. We're calling them "Mini-Butts," but they're really radials, not biradials. That one had "40 x 60" moulded into it.

I'll take my camera next time....

Into the box of plastic horns with <1" throats and no drivers they go...

After I check for a repairable coil of course...

Quote Originally Posted by moldyoldy View Post
    They're K-67s. Oh well, at the time, it was a choice between a cute little pair of Tractrix horns or a Big Mac...still don't miss the Big Mac. I feel no loss, but what's your guy gonna do if he fries one?

Doubt he will, they are rated pretty high in power handling and he he's not a clipper, plus I put an 18db network on them. Should be safe. I usually always have them in stock currently out at the moment. I also have one with reduced output, part of a bad e-bay sale. All items were stated in A-1 condition. Two of the three woofers were bad, x-over was damaged in shipping and the defective horn. Still pissed about it. The Pay Pal claim went A++++ though, I got all my money back.

J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    ...Here's what I'm expecting, with different values, maybe, a symmetrical two-pole:

http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage...0Schematic.pdf
    Think that's as close as you'll find. I chased other systems using N800Fs, repeated "dual, full-section, 12dB/octave networks with adjustable (-1dB to -10dB) HF shelving. Can be used with either 8 or 16 ohm amplifiers." was all I found. Apparrently there's no provision for an autoformer addition as in the N500F, which is huge by comparison...:dont-know

These were made when there were likely as many 16 ohm systems as 8, so offering the choice makes sense, but...

Got one opened

Got one of the N800F's opened, but won't get to check the parts values til tomorrow when I can get down to the kids company. Since I don't have a key anymore, I am at their mercy.

The parts were semi potted, but the black mung pealed off pretty easy. Both caps are in a box, which is labeled ELPAC. It would indicate that the two caps are 4.0 Microfarads and 10.5 microfarads at 150 volts. Since they are further potted in white stuff, I will wait to measure their values on the LCR meter to confirm that is correct, before trying to unpot them. The chokes don't have any marking, but the LCR meter will tell what they are.

Pics might be interesting. There is a 20 Ohm resistor in the Lpad circuit. I will try to draw a schematic, but will need the kids autocad system, since I don't have one at home, nor a scanner either.

Jack Gifford

The mystery deepens. They're not symmetrical.

I'd certainly get yelled at for doing that on the Corian....

That's in my shop in the garage.

I just bought a counter top to make a bench of when we moved.

I will get yelled at when Momma sees the piece of potting I tracked into her kitchen. Left a streaky looking stain on the tile. I will be in deep poo poo if it doesn't get cleaned before she sees it.

Jack Gifford

Quote Originally Posted by jackgiff View Post
    ... I will be in deep poo poo if it doesn't get cleaned before she sees it.

Jack Gifford
    Lucky you're not a lazy bachelor like me, always in deep poo poo until you feel like getting out the shopvac...which I really need to do...Aww...screw it, I'm goin' fishin'.

Fishin' buddy convinced me to go tomorrow night instead...there's the shopvac...Nawww

Useless trivia; ELPAC is still in biz in Irvine, Ca., been there since 1960.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Noodlin' around for stuff, I'm finding similar horns that size for thread-on drivers, and we know what to use with them.

Saw a Ramsa (I think it was) box at Audivex yesterday with one. We're calling them "Mini-Butts," but they're really radials, not biradials. That one had "40 x 60" moulded into it.

I'll take my camera next time....
    I have a Ramsa WS-A80 with the tweeter you're describing, I'll grab a pic of it. Here's what's listed as the tweeter behind the horn:

http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchan...de=add_r_ramsa

Very useful speaker, very durable. Used since 1985 or so as a drummer's monitor (vocals only), just won't die and cuts through nicely.

je
    Last edited by Fred Sanford; 03-21-2007 at 07:54 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by sourceoneaudio View Post
    Here is another shot of a 846B network for you to peruse.

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Hey, that's MY crossover! Damn good pic, wasn't it? lol

From this site, A7 XOs:

http://members.tripod.com/~thunderbobworld/A7xover.htm

500 Hz = 28 uF, 3.6 mH

800 Hz = 17.5 uf, 2.25 mH (Very close to N809-8A's 18 uF, 2.2 mH, above.)

1200 Hz = 12 uf. 1.5 mH

Symmetrical Butterworth.

Storm also posted a "B" crossover pic earlier in this thread:

Thread Information