Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Altec 846A UHF Tweeter Addition

Altec 846A UHF Tweeter Addition

Well after reading the response curve in this thread on the 806A horn driver, (WEak alnico drivers, symptoms?) In the technical help section by Horn Lover.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...767#post151767

I decided to do the addition of the Klipsch RF-7 (K-67) horn tweeter that I've been talking about doing in previous threads to the 846A's that I'm working on for my friend. (time to play)
    Since the results showed the dramatic drop off on both grids to be around 9k to 10k, then utilizing that drop off/slope I added the Klipsch driver in at 10k with an 18db per octave slope, butterworth alignment.
    I went through and tested all of the old components and drivers, fixed the dead horn driver, tested the N-800 factory x-overs, and found them all to be working fine. So I used the factory x-over in conjunction with the addition of the tweet and it's network, installed a 5 way binding post to the rear panel for better input hook up, and installed foam tape on the rear panel to cut back on rattles and leaks. Needless to say they sound very nice with the new addition. They were as a whole/factory missing something on the top end, that is evident.

So I called the owner for a demo, and he was qwik to get here to listen to them, and was most pleased with the outcome, and loved the way the drivers blended.

So the next plan is to build a nice little cube for the Klipsch K-67 to sit in and just place it on top of each speaker array. So we have another happy Altec listener in the world. (see pics)

J/S-S1A

Attached Images Attached Images     

Glad to know there is a fellow proud Altec owner in Phoenix.

I told you there was a difference in the sound - couldn't you hear it?

-Storm.

846A Tweeter Addition

Storm,
    He loved it, especially since he is also a Klipsch fan. It is a most evident improvement with a set of $300.00 tweeters. (Klipsch K-67's) The only thing missing is good sub reinforcement, which we will take care of with a Klipsch RSW-10. Tis a bad boy.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/disc...ls/rsw-10.aspx
    Probably one of the baddest 10" subs on the planet!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is all for a two channel room.

J/S-S1A

Quote Originally Posted by sourceoneaudio View Post
    It is a most evident improvement with a set of $300.00 tweeters. (Klipsch K-67's) The only thing missing is good sub reinforcement, which we will take care of with a Klipsch RSW-10.
    I agree that a good four way kicks butt on your typical vintage two-way... now if you only started out with something better in the middle.

Widget

846A Tweeter Addition

Widget,
    Not my choice on what's in the middle. He bought the Altec's new when he was a kid (18 years young). He is having a hard time letting go of them, lots of memory's of LP playing through them. He has stated to me from the day he bought them new something was missing on the top end. Today was the first time in 20 years they have had music played through them. My friend was very happy, they put a big smile on his face.

J/S-S1A

Source -

Why are you offering them to me for $500.00 if the guy truly likes them?

That makes no sense.

-Storm.

That was before he fixed them and added the tweeters per your suggestion, Storm.

[Not for sale now, looks like.... ]

Widget,
    Not my choice on what's in the middle.....
    Hey, I was just pulling your chain. I'd rather have the bits in the middle than the Klipsch bits.

Widget

846A Tweeter Addition

Storm,
    Everything has a price! The $500.00 dollar price was a walk away price for him. (not fixed, no time and effort) Now he really likes them, and I'm sure if the price was right he would sell again. ???? I would have to ask.
    But now I have 6hrs labor into them, and the tweets. I also re-shot the front along with the rest of the work as stated in prior thread.

J/S-S1A

846A Tweeter Addition

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Hey, I was just pulling your chain. I'd rather have the bits in the middle than the Klipsch bits.

Widget

Ouch!!!!!! That makes my feelings hurt............... (Klipsch bits)

I think thats a much better improvement than any EV tweet for an upgrade/addition. I did not have any Butt Cheeks lying around to try. That would have been my second choice if I had them in stock.

J/S-S1A

sourceoneaudio....correct me if I'm wrong but that crossover you're using looks a lot like the old inline passive crossovers that Rockford used to use for their Audax and Polydax tweeters years ago. Are they per chance? I remember those colors of wire for input/output! I remember them having a 12db/oct and 18db/oct version.

Also, that wire (the blue/silver) looks like Lightning Audio or maybe Stinger 12ga wire. Are you an "old school" car audio dude like me? I'm 40 now...lol

Maybe I should pick up a pair of tweeters and tinker with mine some more! lol If only I had the space to keep them....

I did not have any Butt Cheeks lying around to try. That would have been my second choice if I had them in stock.
    J/S-S1A
    Hmmm....I know where a perfect pair of those are at. I may have to borrow them from him and see what they do.

846A Tweeter Addition

avguytx
    Yes I'm old school car audio, been through RTTI and the RTTI advanced. I also worked very close with Ted, and Jeff over at PPI when they were in charge. I was probably the first person in Phoenix back in 1984 to put 5 PPI-275's in a car. They though I was a nut. When they heard about what I was up to they came from the factory to take a look see. I also had 3 cars in the first C.A.N event put on by Alpine when it all began.

The x-overs are the TX-188 10k and up 18db version From Rockford. I still have a couple of sets lying around.

In the business still and loving every minute of it. (Home and Car Audio)

J/S-S1A

They may need TOTAL restoration.

If your buddy is going to restore those 846A's, he might need a new set of grilles. Most of the old ones are broken up pretty badly. I have one set left out of 6 pairs I had made several years ago, when I restored two pairs of Valencias and had an equipment cabinet built. If he is interested, please let me know. Here are some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Grills

Mr. Jack Giff,
    Thank you for the offer. I think he will desire those for restoration. What do you need for a pair. ($$$$) You can PM if so desired. It has been a pleasure talking to you. I just ordered the cabinets for the Klipsch K-67 Tweets where they will reside when project is finished. I will post pictures after I get them loaded.

J/S-S1A

Thread Information