Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4435's Now HOME, Mystery SLOVED!!

4435's Now HOME, Mystery SLOVED!!

Just got home with the 4435's I purchased off E-Bay. The restoration will now begin. In a previous thread, mention was about 1 woofer might be different. Frist, thing I did when I unloaded them (man they are HEAVY), was pull all woofers from cases. All 4 are 2234H's, all 4 have be refoamed with new surrounds, and 1 has been reconed. Just a few pics to show the start of my project.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

And now for the Mystery. Many questions were asked during auction of these speakers a bout switch on back for external and internal crossovers. The seller didnt know, never opened or removed speakers. The reason the switch is not seen in ebay photos, is that the crossovers are missing
    The subs have been wired directly to the internal crossover speaker connections, and horns are wired directly to the external crossover speaker connections. Lpads and all wiring is intact just NO crossovers....
    So now I am in need of Xovers, if anyone can lead me to a pair so I can get these speakers back to the way they were when they were made.
    Thanks,
    Dan

4430 and 4435 both used the same board, and 4430's crossover can be converted to 4435.

So, you have other options....

Hi Fotodan,

Congrats on the pickup, sorry to hear the crossovers are missing!! Here's the pdf file for the 4435, you should check the HF Compression drivers to see if they are the correct 2426H. Obviously, you speakers have seen some maintainence and modification.

The crossovers may actually not be that hard, relatively, to rebuild, from the schematics in the pdf. Should consult Giskard and Zilch on that.

Bart

Here's the linky:

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Stu...ies/4435LR.pdf
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Quote Originally Posted by fotodan View Post
    The subs have been wired directly to the internal crossover speaker connections, and horns are wired directly to the external crossover speaker connections. Lpads and all wiring is intact just NO crossovers....
    So now I am in need of Xovers, if anyone can lead me to a pair so I can get these speakers back to the way they were when they were made.
    Thanks,
    Dan
    why not go electronic and bi amp?

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    I have read in some of the threads that you dont get the best sound doing that with the 4435's...
    Going to have to figure out something, I have never built a crossover before.

Did pull both compression drivers and both are 2425H's..... I guess its not all that bad. When I bought these I new I would restore these, but never knew this would be involved....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    4430 and 4435 both used the same board, and 4430's crossover can be converted to 4435.

So, you have other options....
    Where would I get the boards, I know most I could get from Parts Express. Do they sell the boards also??

What are those large "stains" on the LH side of the left speaker shown in the photo?

Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    What are those large "stains" on the LH side of the left speaker shown in the photo?
    Looks like they had them on their sides, 2 big water stains from plants?? I have ordered veneer to completely redo the outsides of these..

I am kinds sick knowing I dont have Xovers for these, but I guess at $535.00 its still not that bad..

Will also be rebuilding grilles, no grilles came with these. Will have to see if Zilch has some pretty blue for these..

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    Because, even biamped, you still need the passive HF compensation circuit in operation.

Where would I get the boards, I know most I could get from Parts Express. Do they sell the boards also??
    JBL parts had crossovers last time I looked for them, but they were WAY expensive.

You need 4435 crossovers, or 4430s, which can be converted to 4435s, I'm saying. Some forum members have those.

Worst case, they can be built from scratch. If you want them switchable passive/biamp, that's tough to do, but if you just want one or the other, you may be able to build them yourself, i.e., without the switch.

Here's a thread here where I built a switched pair:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=5209

Guido's built DIY 4435s, and Rob's built 4430s....

Looks like they had them on their sides, 2 big water stains from plants?? I have ordered veneer to completely redo the outsides of these..
    I thought that's exactly what they looked like but then thought who would be stupid...

Also, the rear of the cones seem to show "re-foam" & "re-cone" dates..what are they? This is a bit like an episode of CSI or something..

I have read in some of the threads that you dont get the best sound doing that with the 4435's...
    Going to have to figure out something, I have never built a crossover before.
    Not to worry. Building a crossover can be a fun thing to do. Looks won't matter so you can be a wire nut mad man.

Since there are so many components in this one it may look pretty hard. Just take it on one section at a time. If you need help, there will be a lot of input from here.

A Tri-amp crossovers are quite numerous BUT to find one with enough features for the 4435 would be a challenge. It would need to have at least 24dB slots, phase switching and most impotent a variable HF EQ to compensate for the horn's design. RANE comes to mind.

OK toooooo scary

My wife would shot me if I ever got back into a rack for the house again.

Build your own, put termals so you can build outside the box and use the wire nuts until you reach the config you like.

Have Fun
    I'm rebuilding a set of crossovers as we write.

OB Jim

Looks like a 3-way crossover to me.

A Rane AC-23 would be outstanding! or Even a Rane SAC22. 2-way with a 100 down sub out, in a single knob control package!

Three amps, nothing short of Crowns. K1 and K2. PSA2 and DC-300a. (Old American Iron!)

Yea Baby!

WOO HOO!

Get it on, Bang a Gong!

The 4612, or 4612OK is the same concept. 2- 2118 and a 2404 baby butt cheek. 1 - 8 runs down to the bottom, the other 8" has an inductor for the "mids," and get into the tweet early in frequency rise.

Always loved those boxes! Hung them as HiMids in Lisa's Jazzercise studio. The Medical facilty next door ALWAYS bitched about the 4-2235's for bottom!!!

Great sounding aerobics, yea, I married her...quick!

Scott.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    I thought that's exactly what they looked like but then thought who would be stupid...

Also, the rear of the cones seem to show "re-foam" & "re-cone" dates..what are they? This is a bit like an episode of CSI or something..
    Dates for the refoam and recone I guess the same, they say 11/30/89. They also have 9067 wrote on them and taped on the spider, not sure what those numbers mean..

Thread Information