Thread: Can I get moderator powers over a thread I start?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    if the problem is as simple as separating the wheat from the chaff could not the mods just ask the posters of extranious information for permission to delete same?im sure most members if asked would be inclined to be accomodating .and even if a few refused the thread would be streamlined at least by as much as the ones who agreed to the deletions

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    if the problem is as simple as separating the wheat from the chaff could not the mods just ask the posters of extranious information for permission to delete same?im sure most members if asked would be inclined to be accomodating .and even if a few refused the thread would be streamlined at least by as much as the ones who agreed to the deletions
    It is a nice idea, to ask people to delete, or edit their own chaff. But, then, you run the risk of being told you are telling people how to think, what to say, and that it all has to be one way here, and that we are censoring them.

But, I happen to agree with Ti about being able to keep your thread focused and on topic. After all, if the author of a thread is serious about what they are speaking about, its fair to want all the posts 'on topic' and of a serious nature.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    It is a nice idea, to ask people to delete, or edit their own chaff. But, then, you run the risk of being told you are telling people how to think, what to say, and that it all has to be one way here, and that we are censoring them.

But, I happen to agree with Ti about being able to keep your thread focused and on topic. After all, if the author of a thread is serious about what they are speaking about, its fair to want all the posts 'on topic' and of a serious nature.
    i understand that but i think that the censorshp aspect is avoided by the voluntary nature of the request and im sure that if folks are aware that the requests are made to facilitate the accessability of useful tech and diy info that most would not feel put upon

Yes, I see your point, but unfortunately, Rob says it just cant be done.

You either have moderator status over an entire section of the forum, or you dont, thats just the way the software works.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    And who so we suppose is gonna DO all that?

Thread Information