Thread: Ripped off via ebay - the 6260 Amp Saga

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ripped off via ebay - the 6260 Amp Saga

I've moved this thread here as I don't want to drift my 4341 thread off topic. Before I bought the 4341s, I was collecting drivers and cabinets as a low budget DIY 4 way project. After Zilch loaned me his traveling 2 way kit, I made plans to biamp whatever I built. Based on information from Tom and Zilch, I decided to collect some JBL/UREI electronics, for the amp and active crossover side of my system. I didn't want to deal with fan noise, so I decided to use a 6230 for the higher frequency side of the biamp, and to use a 6260 for the Woofers. Know that the 6260 amp weight about 50 lbs, so shipping can cost quite a lot for such a heavy amp.

I tracked some ebay sales for 6260 amps but watched a number of them went for $200 and up ...
    Then I found this ad.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180105618113
    I exchanged emails to find out what he meant about "questionable distortion" and was told that when he tested it sometimes he couldn't even hear any distortion and wasn't sure there was even a problem. I told him the shipping charge seemed high but he said it was heavy and costs a lot.
    I bid and won, paid the $180 immediately with paypal, but when I wrote to ask him to let me know when it shipped (my usual procedure), my email bounced! I wrote a couple more time, same result. I tried the ebay message system, no answer. At this point it seemed like a rip off to me, and he had my money!

So - I filed an paypal complaint form. The form had a multiple choice drop down box for "Reason for the complaint" the only answer that applied was "Didn't receive item". So I clicked that and waited. 2 days later I got an email from another email address that he had shipped my amp the day of the sale (but Fed ex tracking info disagreed and said he shipped AFTER I filed the complaint).
    But I wasn't going to close the dispute until I actually received the amp. Of course, when the amp arrived, it was REALLY packed lousy - Sent from CA to VA with no foam, no cushioning, in an undersized box that was taped tightly to hold it around the amp. Definately NOT the $80 shipping I had paid for!

I opened the box up and thought it smelled burned. I noticed right away the plastic nuts for the speaker terminals were ... melted and mishapped. How the heck do you do THAT?
    I decided to look into the amp - found a melted ribbon cable, burn marks on one of the large caps in the back, a melted wire with burn/smoke marks against the PC Board - in short it was such a mess I was afraid to even plug it in, much less connect it to my speakers!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information