Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ripped off via ebay - the 6260 Amp Saga

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Nah, I don't lift them - gahh!
    Thats crude - I use hand trucks and skids to roll them around, nice and easy
    Oh dear you are funny at times love.

So you’re not dressing up by any chance and prowling the streets in the dead of night are you?

Do you plan to buy so many JBL 6260 amplifiers or do you have limit to how many you need for the task at hand?

JBL 4645

Talking JBL D6 Mini

I just saw this under JBL loudspeakers, and I thought of you Heather, after getting ripped off, with the JBL 6260, I guess this used to go after those rotten Ebay sellers!

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-D6-Mini-Carb...QQcmdZViewItem

My last post here was September 2, 2007 - the conversation had ended ...
    The original conversation came to an end July 1st ... http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...49&postcount=8

(also see post #3) ... checked my bank account this morning - and noticed a credit for $180 on my VISA card ... Outstanding - it FINALLY came through. I paid for the amp April 17 - and today, July 1st, I have been reimbursed - nearly 10 weeks since it began.

But if you MUST start up dead conversations ...

I tell you 3 times, so perhaps you will remember.

I did not get ripped off, because I got all my money back.

Think of it as an attempted ripoff, at worst ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

no words

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

scorpio
    I took that money and got another 6260 amp from another seller in PA and it works GREAT! My downstairs system is just fine now with nearly 1000watts of power across all the speakers (the B380 sub has an HK Citation 22 bridged & puts over 400watts, .
    Hello Heather, I've been meaning to ask you the question for a while as I know you've used your citation 22 in your main set up before getting the UREI amps, how would you compare the two? I'm asking because I'm running an active system and drive the bass with a citation 22 (but used in stereo at it's 200W/channel) - and wonder if it would be beneficial to change it for something like a crown or UREI I read so much about in this place, and as you have some direct experience,... As such it sounds OK to me, but I've been told time and again that it's only a 'so so' amp and would be better off changing it (the guys telling me this are all deep into flame linear, which I don't feel ready to try). I've got plenty of other pieces I'd like to upgrade, but since I'm limiting myself to the two second hand shops I have close by (don't want to buy amps on e-bay, does that sound strange to you?) - if ever one of these pops-up and would be a valid change, I'd rather be prepared!

Thanks for your help and time!

Good question, thanks!

Its been well over 6 months since I used the Citation 22 to run the woofers
    in my biAmped mains instead of the 6260s I now use. I have the crossover set at 290 Hz so it really just ran the bass. Both amps sound quite full and tight - I'm not sure there was any signal quality gain (or loss) swapping the JBL/Urei 6260.

The plus for me was the Urei has gain controls, is rack mountable and has more conventional banana Output jacks - the tradeoff is that its got phone and XLR jacks for the inputs.

The Citation has conventional input jacks but those weird output jacks, plus I felt it important to set it up on blocks to improve the draft (airflow).
    Now I just run it bridged to power that B380 (sub) when we watch movies.

So - what do you use as a crossover - does it have balance or unbalanced signal ins and outs?

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
    Hello Heather, I've been meaning to ask you the question for a while as I know you've used your citation 22 in your main set up before getting the UREI amps, how would you compare the two? I'm asking because I'm running an active system and drive the bass with a citation 22 (but used in stereo at it's 200W/channel) - and wonder if it would be beneficial to change it for something like a crown or UREI I read so much about in this place, and as you have some direct experience,... As such it sounds OK to me, but I've been told time and again that it's only a 'so so' amp and would be better off changing it (the guys telling me this are all deep into flame linear, which I don't feel ready to try). I've got plenty of other pieces I'd like to upgrade, but since I'm limiting myself to the two second hand shops I have close by (don't want to buy amps on e-bay, does that sound strange to you?) - if ever one of these pops-up and would be a valid change, I'd rather be prepared!

Thanks for your help and time!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

scorpio
    Thanks Heather!

I'm using a 5235 cross over which has both XLR and 'strip' connectors, balanced in, unbalanced out. Right now, I'm using them via the strip connectors but think that this does contribute somewhat to the hiss, I need to get XLR adaptors to try out that way.

You're right for the output connectors of the 22, they are a pain, I'm using fairly thick Monster cable for the woofs, and it is not obvious to connect.

After swinging the Citation back and forth a number of times those darned connectors about made me crazy! I had put banana jacks on the cables for the mains, so I came up with a simple "patchbay" so that I only had to make connections to those crazy Citation plugs once! It can't short out easily, and its easy to tie to for Bridged Mono or stereo (tho I'd need to thro a switch on the amp to switch modes).

Well, I should put banana jacks on my Subwoofer leads -

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
    Thanks Heather!

You're right for the output connectors of the 22, they are a pain, I'm using fairly thick Monster cable for the woofs, and it is not obvious to connect.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

, so I came up with a simple "patchbay" -
    do they work well when speaker leads are connected to LEFT neg and to RIGHT neg ?

to comment on eBay crap......my old engineer friend in Germany called us on Christmas, he won an auction on German eBay, never received item, contacted ebay and was told there is no buyer protection like US ebay. Can any of our German members confirm ??

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    do they work well when speaker leads are connected to LEFT neg and to RIGHT neg ?
    You connect to the two NEG connections when you run it in Bridged Mono mode - Roughly 400watts (peaks around 600w) - perfect for a B380 Subwoofer!

But it does look funky for those in the know ...

...I came up with a simple "patchbay" ...

Heather, you almost went native on us! That there is damned fundamental!!

I've been searching the forums, fruitlessly - there were some quasi-recent posts about a speaker switching box (on Parts Express) that was damned cool, and would do your bidding slightly more, shall we say, conventionally....

Anyone know the post(s)?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

- Roughly 400watts (peaks around 600w) - perfect for a B380 Subwoofer!

But it does look funky for those in the know ...

"You connect to the two NEG connections when you run it in Bridged Mono mode"

ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THIS???????????

Please see bottom of page 8.
    http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vin...6260manual.pdf

Respectfully Submitted,

Scotty.

One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

I appreciate you folks are really trying to help me ... but - its NOT a 6260 amp, its a Citation 22 ...

So, just to be sure, I got my camera, spun the amp around, and took a picture of those monster "b*stard Banana jacks" - and the factory label ...
    So - waddya think??

Bo, Grumpy, Scotty - its really not what you'd expect ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    hah perhaps the red terminals are screwed in where the black ones belong....
    That would be consistent with the manual (and yes, attempting to be helpful as opposed to being correct for it's own sake)
    -grumpy
    hmmm - mebbe so ... the PDF manual from HK.com, being black and white, didn't help too much.
    So I just followed the amp's labels to hook it up (its got fearsome bass, must be right ).

Well, I HATE to mess with those big connectors they tend to chew the ends off your wires and you have to fan them out and roll them over the edges of those big "nuts" or clamps.

EDIT - yep, As you say Grumpy, I suspect the previous owner must have reversed the screw-on caps. The Manual says the connect to the RED connections for BRIDGED MONO, so it looks like its I can just swap the caps to make the top connectors RED (then flip the wires on my patchbay so its tied to both POS connections jacks).

Sorry to FREAK everyone out - whats a little colour code error amongst friends?

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by SMKSoundPro View Post
    "You connect to the two NEG connections when you run it in Bridged Mono mode"

ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THIS???????????

Please see bottom of page 8.
    http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vin...6260manual.pdf

Respectfully Submitted,

Scotty.
    SMK

That’s more or less what I was thinking, my Alesis RA300 is simple to hook up for (bridge monaural) use offering higher output, I only tried it once, that is until I have enough to go around many times over.

Nice job on that Heather, I know, its like the first idea that pops into mind, there’s plenty of speaker switching boxes around, you could even make a DIY version custom made to allow as many as you require.

Thread Information