Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ripped off via ebay - the 6260 Amp Saga

Thanks - its not meant to be permanent, it was just a quick way to avoid using those wackoo HK connectors, and it worked just fine for that.
    Making it T shaped means it can't roll over and short on the amp easily.

Last night I decided to swap the plastic caps and get black on GND and red caps on top - and, when I screwed the red cap into the top left plastic column, it seized 90% of the way in. I managed to get it out with GREAT caution and difficulty, (and a gentle but LARGE crescent wrench!).
    I tried to rethread it (by hand only) but even with a few drops of WD-40 it would still stiffen up at a certain point.
    But the OTHER red cap didn't!! And it didn't seize on the right connector (!). So, I swapped them left to right!!
    Now, at least its color coded correctly!

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Nice job on that Heather, I know, its like the first idea that pops into mind, there’s plenty of speaker switching boxes around, you could even make a DIY version custom made to allow as many as you require.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Thanks - its not meant to be permanent, it was just a quick way to avoid using those wackoo HK connectors, and it worked just fine for that.
    Making it T shaped means it can't roll over and short on the amp easily.

Last night I decided to swap the plastic caps and get black on GND and red caps on top - and, when I screwed the red cap into the top left plastic column, it seized 90% of the way in. I managewd to get it out with GREAT caution and difficulty, but even with a few drops of WD-40 it would still stiffen up at a certain point. but the OTHER red cap didn't!! And it didn't seize on the right connector (!).
    But at least its color coded correctly now!
    Heather

(Mole grips) is what you need, warp a cloth around the plug and place the grips around and give it a little jolt, that’s for next time, mind you.

You're amazing, Miss Heather!

Sorry to create a stir about your color caps.

Now I understand better, and the next person that owns that amp will too!

I have a 6230 here, if you need another.

Scott.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Tap and Die

If you want to do it right get out a Tap and Die set, and clean up both sets of threads. Sometime if you just crank on that stuff with the pliers you wind up with a striptight mess.

YMMV
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by hmolwitz View Post
    If you want to do it right get out a Tap and Die set, and clean up both sets of threads. Sometime if you just crank on that stuff with the pliers you wind up with a striptight mess.

YMMV
    Harry
    Its molded plastic, its a very large thread with a weird pin inset to the bottom to spread the wires when the "nut" is cranked down. Its a HUGE nut and thread (check the pics!)
    No doubt its some a custom piece that is probably long since out of production.

If I was to "do it right" I'd just replace that badly designed connector and install a standard gold 5-way binding post. But I believe it mounts to the main circuit board and I'd just as soon not disturb that on an old somewhat rare amp.

Thus, the "patch panel" so THAT takes the stress of connecting and reconnecting things.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Hi Heather,

One little detail. I notice on the Citation 22 that you have your Speaker Operating Mode switches set to 8 Ohms. For 8 to 16 Ohms Bridged, The switches should be at 4 Ohms each.
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by P.Warner View Post
    Hi Heather,
    One little detail. I notice on the Citation 22 that you have your Speaker Operating Mode switches set to 8 Ohms. For 8 to 16 Ohms Bridged, The switches should be at 4 Ohms each.

Okay, thanks!
    I've already flipped the caps to match the polarity ... (new pic Fri night if time allows).
    I spun the amp again and flipped the switched UP to the 4 Ohm pos ...
    but, its bedtime (5am comes early!) ...
    maybe we can run a movie tomorrow night and see if there is a diff ...

But the text for Stereo Mode doesn't completely make sense -

STEREO MODE -
    4-16 Ohms in 4 Ohm Operating Mode
    8-16 Ohms in 8 Ohm Operating Mode
    BRIDGED MONO -
    8-16 Ohms in 4 Ohm Operating Mode

Hey - who needs spikes with a concrete slab and heavy amps on top of the monitors!

JBL 4645
    Doesn’t temperature also change with the differences in the (impedance) as well?

Thread Information