Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Jbl Sub1500 15" Subwoofer 4 Ohm

Niklas Nord
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    The Revel was closer to 42.5 Liters. Lots of EQ and power.

Widget
    Fourtytwo !? 42,5 liter... little..
    petit

Do you know the amount of EQ?
    I guess, revel has alot of skilled people at harman / JBL so they
    made up this size of the box. I guess itīs a size that is very right on.

ideal size or something

Quote Originally Posted by Niklas Nord

Do you know the amount of EQ?
    I think the question would be more like what was the nature or type of EQ used. They only sold these subwoofers to be used with a dedicated amp with built in EQ including user adjustment for fine tuning.

Did you read the links that Giskard posted? They pretty much explain it.

Widget

MJC

sealed box

I just looked at the link for the sealed box. The dimensions are almost identical to the boxes I built. The main differences are that my sides, top, bottom, and back are 1 1/4" thick(double 5/8" mdf). The baffle is only 1" thick, it is a PE baffle that is 18 3/4" square.
    So that I wouldn't end up with a cube, I butted the full 1 1/4" sides to the back side of the baffle. But the bottom is butted to the bottom edge of the baffle and the top is aligned so that the inside layer is butted to the inside of the baffle and the outside layer of the top sits on top of the baffle. I made the back removeable, using finish hex barrel thru bolts.
    This gives a box that is 1/4" wider and 5/8" taller and 5/8" deeper than the one in the link.

It is a size that really works well.

Strange thing about the drawing for the box, they have no internal bracing at all. I used another 1" baffle for a horizontal brace, at the mid point. I cut off one side, so the depth would be the same as the internal depth of the box. Butted the cut ends to the center of the baffle there it meets the sides. And added vertical pieces glued between the bottom and horizontal brace and top and brace at the center of the back of the circle.

jcdahl

Ampzilla

I have just inherited a pair of Stereo AMPZILLA Amplifiers from a friend who recently passed away . I am thinking about using them with my SUB1500s. I think they are 350W per channel into the 4 0hm Sub1500s. Has anyone had any experience with AMPZILLAs?

Note: Sub1500 is Positive

Don't know if anybody already posted it, and I ain't searchin' to find out.

Sub1500 cone moves out when + is applied to the red terminal.

Heads up - that's opposite of most JBL drivers.

Gotta get the phase RIGHT when combining them....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Sub1500 cone moves out when + is applied to the red terminal.

Heads up - that's opposite of most JBL drivers.

Gotta get the phase RIGHT when combining them....

I am surprised Bo didn't come in on this one... the polarity convention used to be one of his favorite topics.

On a thread deep in the bowels of this forum Giskard posted a list of all of the newer JBL woofers that have joined the rest of the world's convention on polarity. The list included a couple of old examples that reversed from the JBL "Standard" but for the most part it is only the recent drivers like the Sub1500, 1500AL etc. that are forward moving.

Basically, if you aren't sure you have to check it... same is true of the HF devices and that is far less trivial to test.

Widget

imtkjlu

How to get a pair of SUB1500 ?

Anyone know how to get them today ?

///Kjelle

Post an inquiry in the Marketplace and see if anyone is willing to part with some.

Good luck. They are worth seeking out.

Widget

MJC

sub1500 + H/K 635= not under achieving any more

Hi all, just got a new, just off the line H/K 635 receiver, w/ EzSet/EQ. Which is just what the 2 sub1500s needed to give them a kick in the ass. The 635 is far superior to the 7 year old Marantz 880 it replaced. The room EQ has really filled in the LF range. And those big beasts, along with the 7 112As really shine on SACD/DVD-audio recordings now.
    And the cost of the 635 is less than 10% of the Lexicon MC-12v4, which I still wouldn't mind having, and still has Logic7. That by itself is worth the $799 I paid for the H/K.
    So now the 1500s are doing all that I thought they were capable of.

Obsolete
    Nice John!

I've got the older AVR 7200 and really enjoy it. H/K has always had the juice to drive JBL's.

Here's looking at your AVR 635.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

AVR 7200 vs AVR 7000

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Nice John!

I've got the older AVR 7200 and really enjoy it. H/K has always had the juice to drive JBL's.

Here's looking at your AVR 635.
    Hi Giskard,

Did HK address the video shortcomings of the 7000 when they revamped it into the 7200 ? I talked a buddy into getting one of the refurb 7000's from the HK site (a steal in the mid $500's as I recall), but we were both surprised and disappinted at the video section. Even though it has "component video switching" it doesn't do any of the new hi-res modes like 720P or 1080i so we had to route the video directly into the TV instead. It's still a sonic monster and it's built like a tank, but maybe I should have looked into the 7200 more closely...

jblnut

MJC
    Hi Giskard, the 635 is the first H/K receiver I've owned. Right now it is only driving the back surrounds, as I've got the Parasound 5 channel amp driving the rest. The Marantz really needed it. One of these days I'll disconnect the Parasound a see what the 635 will do on its own. And if I keep it that way I can always use the high end interconnects between the DVD-audio and the 635.
    And I already know that the Crown K2 and the 2 1500s only needed a good processor and room EQ in front of them. And I don't get the thumping sound thru the subs anymore when I change inputs or channels. So clearly it was the Marantz at fault on that issue, not the ground loop I first thought it was.

I don't know about the 7200, but the 635 passes all HD. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is when I watched a movie thru the new Samsung DVD-audio/SACD player I couldn't get the 635 to see the 5.1 DD input. Instead it went to the 6 channel direct input. And of coarse, you can't use Logic7 on the direct input. But I've got the LG DVD player/HD receiver with a 5.1 digital output and they both upconvert to 1080i. So I'll use the Samsung DVD-audio/SACD for music only.

MJC

Revel/JBL sub1500 '98 review

Revel Home Theater
    Thomas J. Norton, Vol.4 No.6, July, 1998

Just found this review on the Revel HT system that includes the Revel/JBL sub1500. In the review Tom compared the sub1500 to the Velodyne sub.

"Careful listening pinned these noises to driver distress, not cabinet or room vibrations."

Amp distress, more likely....

Vertically Mounted Sub1500

Quote Originally Posted by James Nobel
    Has anyone actually run the numbers on the Sub1500s suitability for downfiring orientation? Someone in a previous post thought the cone might be a bit too heavy. Do any of you tech heavy senior members know for sure?
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Yes, it's too heavy.
    I ran the numbers for the sag of a vertically mounted Sub1500 and got 0.38mm or about 2% of its Xmax of 18mm. This should be OK - well under the "rule-of-thumb" of 5%. Am I missing something? It is heavy at about 311 gm, but the suspension is correspondingly stiff to keep the Fs at 25 Hz. (The equations seem to say that sag is ONLY proportional to the inverse of the square of Fs. So, the weight should not be an issue, as long as Fs remains at 25 Hz.)

Comments? I've already built my downfiring speakers with Sub1500s, so I hope I'm not going to run into sag problems!

Thread Information