Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Woofer for Altec A7?

00Robin
    okay,now I figured out the GPA reference and had a looksee. I BET that is the man who bought my original 1958's in 1995 when I blew one. OKlahoma,huh?
    I would LOVE to hear what you are blowing at your bumper car place and at home. I bet they come JUST for the good music and sound,or definitely come back again for it! I'm 49 and I'm stuck on Altecs Nothing has compared yet for me. Nothing. I've been listening to them since the late 70's. Sorry,I'm, hooked. And that is how it is,exactly the way you said it Scott, "they just dont sound proper" and thats just what I mean to. Nothing else sounds proper.
    But I do have a slight curiousity about listening to some good JBL's,just to compare....
    Last edited by 00Robin; 08-25-2007 at 01:37 PM. Reason: re-capture a caption that explained a feeling i agreed with

Very happy

First I'd like to thank everyone who replied and gave me advice and shared their experience with me. About a year ago I visited Scott's place and was amazed by the sound. We have similar taste in sound and his opinion means allot to me. I have tried a few things since than and am very happy with the Altec box with GPA driver combo.

I have had the woofers in since Thursday and continue to be amazed at the sound. They are more efficient than the B&C's than i was using. The sound is very dynamic, open, and at the same time the notes have weight to them. The listening experience is very enjoyable. Like Scott says they sound like real music.

Once again thanks to everyone.

Allen

Yes, Robin, The Eldorado is famous for our sound system, our music programming, and our FASST bumper cars.

BUMP, BUMP, BUMP YOUR ASS OFF, thats our slogan, and what you hear in our digital announcer from the ticket box on the street.

Altec is also the only one thats ever done certain things for us, as well. I love vintage JBL compression drivers, horns, tweeters and 18in woofers. I also like Gauss, and Altec 18,s too.

My system is a dance club/entertainment system, its voiced to be clean, but has certain colorations and exagerations that we love, DISCO they called it.

The room contains sixteen JBL 2402 bullet tweeters in arrays of four each, hanging down the center of the room.I have six stacks of speakers around the room in an inverted W stereo pattern, so you get stereo everywhere. Each stack is made up of a JBL 2404 bi-radial tweeter, a JBL 2395 lens horn w/2441 comp driver, Altec double 15in VOTT cabinets, and a double 18in horn loaded sub. The corner stacks have custom made upsized version of JBL scoops 2240 loaded, the center stacks have small W bins, Eminence loaded, I have additional custom made ported subs, 4 double JBL 18in 2242 loaded on the sidewalls.

I use a Urei 1620 preamp/mixer, a pair of White 4200A EQ,s, a Richard Long X-3000 crossover, of Studio54 and Paradise garage fame, a heavily modified Urei 525 crossover, or a pair of crown MX-4,s I have as well three crown PSA-2,s three crown DC-300A,s, one Crown D-150A, three Crown Power Line 2,s ( enhanced D-75,s ) and two crown Macro tech 3600,s. I have DSP, and went back to all analog processing, just sounds better to me.

I still have two Technics 1200 turntables, two Denon S-3500 CD turntables, one Denon D-6000 dual CD player, and we are getting into using Rane Serrato, and an Apple G4 for spinning downloads. This last item is interesting, I buy primarily WAV files, and the two Denon S-3500 CD turntables are hooked up to a special interface, and you use to specially encoded midi discs to play files like playing a CD or record. You choose your music selection on the laptop, and the encoded disc allows you to cue up the file, and spin it like as if your mixing CD,s and the Serrato package also comes with two vinyl discs, you would hook your TT,s up to the interface, and you can spin files like records! The download technology is still in its infancy, but its usable, and getting better as time goes on. If one wants to spin dance music, you have to get into this technology, as much dance music is no longer available on vinyl, and not as available on CD either. But the WAV files sound fairly good, better than MP3, and I am also using a Summit Audio DCL-200 tube compressor to make the digital source sound better. It works. But, the nice surprise was how good CD and downloads sound through the GPA Altec 416,s, music just sounds good through the, cant wait for all of them to arrive and install them, and complete the room.

This place rocks, but sounds sweet, and with a GOOD recording sounds outstanding, very real, tons of presence and super clarity. Yet, sweet and tame sounding too! The bass is ferocious, it kicks, and growls, and shakes the building. The mixer I am using is my original Urei, and was modified by Richard Long, and sounds amazing, a bit leaner on the bottom than a stock urei, but really centered on the strike of the drum, with an underlying bass that growls, not muddy sounding. The low mids are full sounding, the upper mid has no glare ( recording dependent ) and the highs are sweet, soft, detailed, but not overly top heavy. My bottom end sounds clear and detailed, lots of resolution, and its very visceral, YOU FEEL IT! She KICKS!

I have been through everything, JBL, TAD, B & C, and some others, I HAD to return to Altec to make what I want happen! Its a system that surprises many, I play classical and jazz when I want to really hear the systems qualities. John Eargles, Eargle on Everest is a favorite demo CD for me, track #6, the violins sounds so real, and never screechy. Piano sounds like piano, vocals sound real, and holographic. Because Im almost totally horn loaded, transient detail is startling, macro transients are outstanding but my micro dynamic resolution is also fantastic as well. You can hear the breath of a singers voice. Drums sound really grand, you can hear the stick hit the skin, the crack of the snare, and the reverb around the note, and the decay of the sound.

I also have some of our original Altec horns, drivers, and tweeters too.

Now, with the return of the Altec woofers to my system, magnificent is a mild description, IMO, but Im prejudiced in this rooms favor, LOL!

I am an Altec fan for life! And have been listening to Altec since 1973.

scottyj

00Robin
    Yes,AGAIN,the intake of a quick breath in a mike,the slide of the fret the resonsance of some catgut on the cellos that make you turn to see whose in the room playing with you. Hows about that palmy swipe down the upper manual on the B3? A good poke on the Leslie just in time to accentuate that swell for the build? Either its those Altecs of Robin's or her B3 and Leslie at it full tilt boogie.
    Music feeds my soul. And it sounds like there are many souls to feed here. The feast is on and let the games begin!
    Good music produced through the best equipment is an addictive experience more people need to CHANGE THEIR LIVES. I'll never grow up and I don't care. The music will feed my soul throughout eternity. By way of Altecs.

Music is my life, gotta keep on dancing!

And music through Altec keeps ya feet movin!

scottyj

scottyj

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    My system is a dance club/entertainment system, its voiced to be clean, but has certain colorations and exagerations that we love, DISCO they called it.

John

Quote Originally Posted by allen mueller View Post
    First I'd like to thank everyone who replied and gave me advice and shared their experience with me. About a year ago I visited Scott's place and was amazed by the sound. We have similar taste in sound and his opinion means allot to me. I have tried a few things since than and am very happy with the Altec box with GPA driver combo.

I have had the woofers in since Thursday and continue to be amazed at the sound. They are more efficient than the B&C's than i was using. The sound is very dynamic, open, and at the same time the notes have weight to them. The listening experience is very enjoyable. Like Scott says they sound like real music.

Once again thanks to everyone.

Allen
    Your entirely welcome, Allen. I take great pride in my place, and I also take great pride in turning others on to what I feel is THE sound. Listening to music is wonderful through the right system, knowledge and information should be shared, it keeps it alive.

I want you to come down once I have all the 416,s installed. Should be nothing short of outstanding.

scottyj

pictures

I've had the woofers for over a week, and am still very happy. I though i'd post a couple of pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Horns?

Very nice looking refurbishment!

Can you share information about the horn / driver combination you are using?

Thanks,

Mark

Thread Information