Thread: Sound cards for laptops

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Create a Reference for what the best combination is...

Hi,

Might want to RIP your favorite CD (or at least a few tracks) to a .WAV file at 44.1khz sample rate and play that from the laptop. This will give you a reference of what might be the best audio possible from that particular computer. With that, work out whether you use an optical out or the transformer isolation method, or new sound card etc.... Once you have this as a reference, then youll have a better reference for which internet streaming audio feed you prefer.

I've got a machine that has a CD drive in it that has an analog audio out that goes to the sound card, and it's audio is absolutely horrible. I discovered this when I had RIP'ed a CD and got used to what it sounded like playing from the .WAV file, then played the same thing from the CD drive and discovered the major difference. It is definitely the CD drive's D/A converter.

I agree with what's been provided above, having used Transformer coupled audio, USB external sound cards (USB-Pre) and also a card with ADAT Lightpipe and S/PDIF to external D/A devices all with good results. The right combination of things will show up with some experimentation.

Most of all, Have fun. Hopefully something in this post is useful.
    Mike

Wow!been away for few minutes researching and all this,Thanks All!

Now what does this mean to me? I was going to go w/a simple turlte beach usb amigo after reading cheap and optical connection. The Indigo doesn't have optical or would have chosen that...

Scotty, are you saying the Audigy 2 ZS? seems more expensive and older than the Turtle but not usb. It doesn't matter, whatever gives better sound
    to my receiver. And you actually have it.

The Turtle seems the easiest to implement but sound quality is job 1

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    Wow!been away for few minutes researching and all this,Thanks All!

Scotty, are you saying the Audigy 2 ZS? seems more expensive and older than the Turtle but not usb. It doesn't matter, whatever gives better sound
    to my receiver. And you actually have it.

The Turtle seems the easiest to implement but sound quality is job 1

Mark
    Dear Mark,

If sound quality is job 1, and it is, then try the Audigy expansion card. It is installed and connected internally in the buss. Our DJ company that we use (reluctantly) has a Creative $29 external card that plugs into any usb port.

I was able to A/B the two laptops with them and show some definitive results. My laptop was the hands-down winner, period.

As always, I am just a guy trying to get the most quality out my sound rigs that I build, design and drive. Your mileage may vary.

I am very happy with the audigy expansion slot card, and leave it "jacked in" to my laptop at all times. Do NOT pull out the card with the laptop on!!!, or you will get the blue screen of death!!

Good luck. Semper Fi! Carry on!

Scott.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Quote Originally Posted by SMKSoundPro View Post
    What you are hearing is the hard drive noise. ... I tried the exact same isolation transformer that Bo is showing you with NO better results.
    I stayed off this symptom, because as I said in the beginning, it was not an experience of mine, and I had no relevant knowledge.

However, the OP described two symptoms, the latter possibly being a GL:

When I connect it to my system via RCAs or digital coax it picks up noises from the computer such as a mild hum and hd activity.
    So far it the only device that I hook up which does this. Using the same mini din to RCAs and a portable CD player doesn't do this.
    This suggests a GL is a second symptom, possibly unique and additional to the first. This is the only symptom I have relevant experience with and will be remedied using an isolation transformer.

I would try the gl device but I want a better sound then this fixed if possible. An additional card should solve both issues, don't know for sure till I try it. It would be worth a try if I wasn't trying to upgrade.

I doubt anybody can fully diagnose this based on my questions and descriptions. his HD noise may not be what I hear and the hum actually sounds different than most gl hums I have heard but I didn't say that to begin with.

the bottom line is the noise(s) pushed me to upgrade and I appreciate ALL help .

I honestly blame my receiver sony str-da9000 for all noises, i think it is sensitive any issue it can be!

Mark

I have recently fought a similar problem with a Dell laptop. Same symptoms of hard disk noise being imposed into the audio system made up of various components: preamp, power amp, Presonus Firepod audio interface (great product, BTW).

After swapping out all of the above with other gear to isolate the problem, I discovered that the laptop didn't do it anymore while running on batteries. Turns out that the Dell switching supply, which has all 3 proper connections on the AC side and a 2 wire output side to the laptop, is generating a _lot_ of noise into the grounding system of the house! I used one of those 'ground lifter'/cheater plugs to lift the safety ground - not a good idea to do long term - and the noise is now gone.

For me, this was a good excuse to go out and get a new computer but that may not be the best answer for you.

As for the sound card to purchase, I also stream a lot of internet radio and have done so for at least the past 3 years. Bit stream speed are going up and 128K is proving to deliver a pretty good sound if the source end is well engineered. I'd suggest you get a USB 2.0 or Firewire-based device. This has a couple of advantages:

* You need to get one with a separate power supply. Anything you can do to get the sound card out of the computer's power supply. They weren't designed for audio work and usually it shows as you're learning.

* You can isolate the processing off of your computer. This helps a lot but even then, if you're doing any sort of heavy processing, you'll hear a bit of dropouts occasionally. Generally, I've found that more memory helps here. Also, bump up your swap space if you're low on memory.

* Lastly, if you've got a laptop, use a separate PCMCIA USB or Firewire interface to run the sound card. I discovered on my Dell that the Firewire port is shared with the wireless node and that caused all sorts of problems with real-time bit streaming. The cost is low for a separate controller so let the hardware handle it rather than compete for common computing resources. Also, make sure its a USB 2.0 compliant port system. The old 1.x ports sometimes act squirrely for no aparent reason.

Also, expand your horizons for source material. I listen a lot to www.radioio.com's jazz, classical and acoustic streams. For that matter, download Slim Devices' Squeezebox emulator, Softsqueeze, along with the Slim Server software and see what kind of links they have. I like the Swiss jazz station as well as a couple of the German high-speed classical stations.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David

I use last year's laptop from work, close to unlimited supply of parts. using the a/c adapter,3 prong to 2, without connecting the ground is fine. I can swap system boards or a/c bricks any time they blow and i can do that next time I get out of my chair, all parts available now

All this computer does is turn on, auto loads IE w/home page of Pandora listen to my mix of stations, nothing else for processing.

SO back to what sound device...and specifically how it is connected. are you suggestiong a seperaate powered USB hub which is then connected via usb to the computer? and what specific sound card?

the computer is a Compaq EVO NC610c in an adavanced port replicator which does have a separate powered USB hub but powered by the same brick so same results most likely there. Although if the noise goes away w/the adapter any usb would work(crossing fingers) or back to the sound laster card

Thanks

Mark

Thread Information