Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SAM I am?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    I think with perhaps one exception (Nelson Pass) the people that sell the Hi End HiFi dont care for diy people because it cuts into their 200% margins.
    200% is still fair imho if you think about development costs.

We're talking more in the 400-500% region. A lot of this is eaten by the arrogant dealership. It can happen that you want to buy an EVEREST 2 but can't hear it first because the dealer is simply too lazy to unpack them. It really happened here!

Not to speak about margins in the cable sector. 4 digits percentage should be normal there. Or how much RMB do you think the chinese "high end" cable assemblers take home a month?

Pass has always supported Diy and he is also very successful commercially.
    Nelson ROCKS!

Arrogant Dealers

Guido,
    I remember you telling me about that. Its disgusting . I dont think GT would approve of that kind of attitude being linked to him or the company he works so hard for.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    200% is still fair imho if you think about development costs.

We're talking more in the 400-500% region. A lot of this is eaten by the arrogant dealership. It can happen that you want to buy an EVEREST 2 but can't hear it first because the dealer is simply too lazy to unpack them. It really happened here!

Not to speak about margins in the cable sector. 4 digits percentage should be normal there. Or how much RMB do you think the chinese "high end" cable assemblers take home a month?
    Guido,

If you have the money (not a tyre kicker) whats a $2K air fare to hear a $60K investment under the right conditions.

I put this to someone else who will remain nameless and they were quite offended. Obviously they did not have the money.

That is the route issue and its a good way of weeding out the real market hence distribution as it stands. The flip side is the guy who might just be able to afford it and really appreciate it will squirm and agonise over the decision and piss about with many sleepless nights because he needs to justify the outlay. (no offence to the entire American population intended)

Obviously they did not have the money.

THAT was NO issue!

If you have the money (not a tyre kicker) whats a $2K air fare to hear a $60K investment under the right conditions.
    While that seems quite logical...

I put this to someone else who will remain nameless and they were quite offended. Obviously they did not have the money.
    Most of our clients are quite wealthy... a couple could afford their own small country... the other day one was complaining about the $10/mo charge for each of his many satellite receivers in his 16,000 sq ft home. I think it is the same mentality. Just because you have an income that exceeds your needs by 100,000 fold, doesn't mean that you are willing to spend money on something that doesn't seem to be a bargain... a $2K expense to look at some merchandise may not seem like a bargain, though a "free" dealer paid trip including hotel expenses for a pair of "special" Everest IIs costing $65K instead of the $60K "standard" Everest IIs is likely more palatable to some. Personally, I am with you. If I was serious about dropping $60K on a pair of loudspeakers, I'd have no problem spending a few bucks to make sure they were the speakers I wanted.

Widget

Obsolete
    Looking around a bit more I found the list price. One SAM1HF is $3300... yeah sure that is a lot compared to a pair of 20 year old monitors, but for your $3300 you are getting two brand new compression drivers and a state of the art dual horn. I'd say it's a pretty good deal.
    I just found this thread. I missed it when it was new.

I have been wondering for some time now why more folks weren't buying the SAM1HF's and putting them with LE14H's or 2235H's and now I guess I know why.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I just found this thread. I missed it when it was new.

I have been wondering for some time now why more folks weren't buying the SAM1HF's and putting them with LE14H's or 2235H's and now I guess I know why.
    Apparently I started it years ago... it can be funny to read ones posts from a number of years ago, I don't remember starting the thread much less any of it's content, but I do now know quite a bit about the SAM1HF. The retail price for example isn't $3300 each, but $2500 each. Is that terribly expensive? I think it is fair when you consider a TAD TH-4003 was the same price a few years ago and the SAM1HF comes with brand new factory installed drivers.

I am planning on buying a pair to go with a pair of LE14H-3s I have to do a cosmetic makeover on the 1400 Array. At ~$6K plus my time I'll have a pair of $12K 1400 Arrays that have an aesthetic more in line with my tastes.

Widget

Obsolete
    The retail price for example isn't $3300 each, but $2500 each. Is that terribly expensive?
    $2.5k sounds better, no pun intended.
    I am planning on buying a pair to go with a pair of LE14H-3s I have to do a cosmetic makeover on the 1400 Array. At ~$6K plus my time I'll have a pair of $12K 1400 Arrays that have an aesthetic more in line with my tastes.
    I'll be interested in what kind of design you come up with.

I wouldn't pay retail, and I'm sure you won't either.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I'll be interested in what kind of design you come up with.
    Still kicking around a couple... won't get wood to saw for at least another six months or so, probably next winter's project.

Obviously the intent is to minimize the kludged on look of the horn. The easy route is something along the lines of the Vandersteen 5a, and I may take that route, but I am hoping to do better.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I sure like mine!!
    Always fun learning more.......

How low can the SAM1HF play?
    Could I combine them with my Array 1500s and crossover at 400Hz?

Obsolete
    How low can the SAM1HF play?
    G.T. uses the 435AL and Array Horn down to ~ 750 Hz in the 1400 Array.
    Could I combine them with my Array 1500s and crossover at 400Hz?
    No.

SAM2LF and SAM12X

Lest we forget the SAM1HF's less glamorous sibling, I just picked up a single SAM2LF unit and the SAM12X crossover, literally. I drove out to Indio, CA and picked them up today from a former Synthesis® dealer who was blowing out leftover bits and pieces. I paid about 1/3 the normal street price of a SAM2LF to get both pieces, in the box. IME, the normal street price of a SAM2 is about 4/5 the MSRP, so that would make it 1/3 of 4/5 of 1, not including the SAM12X (street price usually just under $400) which was basically free in this deal.

Thanks to forum member RedCoat23 for the ebay tip, which I checked about an hour before the auction ended. One bid and win!
    Out.

Thread Information