Thread: LE 14A surround

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

LE 14A surround

Hello everyone, just a quick question. Is it true that on the LE14A and perhaps the "C" too that the surround foam goes over the paper cone and not under like on most of the other JBL speakers? Not sure where I heard that perhaps even here. Does anyone know for sure? Cheers, Frank
    K2S5800,Proj Array1000,880,1500,SynthesisTWO,250Ti,240Ti,120Ti& 18Ti,S38,Libra,Ti2K,Dorian,L36,88,99,100,300,Jubal ,Apollo,4425

RIP 2009
    That's correct.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Frank
    Is it true that on the LE14A and perhaps the "C" too that the surround foam goes over the paper cone and not under like on most of the other JBL speakers?
    - It's true that the original foam is attached to the front side of the cone .

- It's also true that a couple of regulars here, have attached aftermarket foam surrounds ( Ricks' ? ) to the front side ( as in the original ).

- Importantly ( IMHO ), these "refoamers" have not provided any proof that the voice-coil is still centered . They should have at least provided some close up pics of the spider / so that the rest of us could determine for ourselves if the spider looks flat ( rather than depressed or pulled out ) .
    - I also notice that no-one, so far, has flipped the new foam over, ( 180°-reverse ) to match the original orientation of the half-roll ( the original lansaloy is an "innie vs the outie" of the new foam ) .

- From my perspective, it's still inconclusive as to which is the correct way ( gluing to front or back of cone ) .

<> EarlK

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    - I also notice that no-one so far, has flipped the new foam over 180° to match the original orientation of the half-roll ( the original lansaloy is an "innie vs the outie" of the new foam ) .
    As I recall, the original yellow lansaloy surrounds were concave, but when JBL later switched to black foam surrounds on the LE14's, while still mounted to the outside, the rolls were now convex.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John
    As I recall, the original yellow lansaloy surrounds were concave, but when JBL later switched to black foam surrounds on the LE14's, while still mounted to the outside, the rolls were now convex.
    - I've never seen an original black foam surround ( on a le14a or H ) attached to the front ( outside ) / they've all been attached to the backside of the cone ( at least that's how my le14H woofs' surrounds are attached ) .

- It's all semantics ( IMO ), I'd attach new surrounds to give the most level spider deflection ( as close to a straight line when the woofer is placed facing upwards ).

- Though I should mention, I wouldn't buy used le14s with the black foam attached to the front-side of the cone .

While we're talking LE14's, can this transducer be used in a down firing mode for sub use?

Thanks

Jorg

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    - I've never seen an original black foam surround ( on a le14a or H ) attached to the front ( outside ) / they've all been attached to the backside of the cone...
    In retrospect, I do believe you're correct. LE14A's with original black foam appear to have the surrounds glued to the back...

I do believe if replacing the original yellowed surrounds it still makes more sense to glue them to the front, as original, even though the roll is reversed.

John

Thread Information