I am in the process of collecting parts for a speaker project. My goal is very high efficiency and accuracy in a home (movies and music) environment. My original intent was to go with a pair of 2220H/J woofers per side as these are some of the highest efficiency woofers ever made. Since these don't go all that low, I would be using a subwoofer for the low end. At the top end, I anticipated crossing over to a 2123h at 300hz or so. However, before I acquired the woofers, I decided that I'd prefer that the main speakers go a little lower even though this would mean a larger box. To this end, I now own four E145-8 woofers (two per side). I expect that these should be good down to around 50hz, maybe a bit lower - at least, that's how I read the specs - and, again, use a seperate subwoofer below that.

Someone suggested that I use 2235 woofers instead. They do seem to have an excellent reputation. I'm guessing that they will go lower in about the same size box, but with somewhat less sensititivity, I will be moving away from my goal. On the other hand, with a pair of 2235's, could I dispense with the subwoofers altogether? At least for a while - money is an issue.

It was hard enough to find four decent E145-8 woofers. I wasn't all that familar with the 2235 when I decided to go with the E145-8. 2235 woofers seem hard to find and expensive when they can be found. The 2225 and a few other models use the same basket (I understand) and can be reconed to a 2235. The problem is finding four blown 2225 woofers and going through the expense of reconing them, plus selling the E145-8's. So my question is : Is the result of switching to the 2235 worth it? They are less sensitive but maybe with a pair of them in series per side and enough power (which I have), it won't be that big a deal.

Any opinions? And anyone have any blown 2225 woofers for sale or trade?