Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2420 vs 2445?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    My question is - would it be worth while to use a 2441 or similar between a 2123 and an 077 and what would be the smoothest horn to use?
    If I had the money to buy a 2441 then I would use the 2441/2311 in place of the 2421/2307 or 2425/2307. If I didn't have the money to buy a 2441 then I would live with the 2421/2307 or 2425/2307. I've posted this several times before with respect to the DIY versions of the 4344/4345 and 4355.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    You're all wrong.

Seriously,... you are all wrong.
    So you are saying that all the recommandations vs changing from 2420 to 244x I got from all "experts" on the forum was wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    So you are saying that all the recommandations vs changing from 2420 to 244x I got from all "experts" on the forum was wrong?
    I have no idea what recommendations you may have gotten. What I am saying is that when used in a system with a tweeter, the large format drivers are absolutely superior to the small format drivers.

Whether you should make a change or not is a separate question.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I have no idea what recommendations you may have gotten. What I am saying is that when used in a system with a tweeter, the large format drivers are absolutely superior to the small format drivers.

Whether you should make a change or not is a separate question.

Widget
    You know what I have. 4343'sB with original components. Guido (bought them from him) has changed and fixed everything regarding the x-over, the the originals are "up to date". When I asked the question on the forum all said : do not. (change from 2420 to 244x) I remember that the 2440 (375) in my Paragon was better in some parts of the frq.

That was the question from me ... do or do not.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    You know what I have. 4343'sB with original components. Guido (bought them from him) has changed and fixed everything regarding the x-over, the the originals are "up to date". When I asked the question on the forum all said : do not. (change from 2420 to 244x) I remember that the 2440 (375) in my Paragon was better in some parts of the frq.

That was the question from me ... do or do not.
    You have a stock system and the network was designed for the 2420. That's probably why you got the recommendation from people that you did. This is the DIY forum. Like I posted above, some of the stock systems won't even allow for the larger compression drivers to be used in place of the smaller compression drivers.

I am not all that good at JBL hardware so here it goes, you already have 4" JBL compression driver, why in the world would you want a 1" compression driver to function in a tweeter capacity? I believe the true claim to fame of these compression drivers is that they function pretty darn good as mid-range drivers, but only so-so as hi-freq tweeters. Why not get a true JBL tweeter such as a 075, 076, or 077(sorry I don't remember the pro designation)?

RK---Some people just prefer the sound of 2-ways, I do. I'd rather have a slightly soft top end than deal with problems of getting tweeters to gel. It's a matter of taste and of need: many older hi-fi fans like myself simply don't hear high enough to hear the extended highs of a tweeter.

It's easier to make a 2-way "coherant", tha's the the modern buzzword, coherant. Such as "the open baffle mounted 5" speaker while lacking the ultimate in dynamics and bass had a coherance......blah-blah-blah"

Yes, I'm in the same boat as Tom on this. I've considered adding one of the high-freq tweeters to my setup but, frankly, the sound I'm getting is just fine. There's a law of diminishing returns for some things and I'm coming around to just keeping the 2 way system as is.

Cheers,

David

Tom Brennan & doodlebug : Okay thanks for the explanation, I see the method to the madness. KISS = keep it simple stupid.

At one time JBL used a silver ring in the pole piece in the LE175/LE85.

Check out this thread: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ight=beowulf57

Adding a HF compression driver can be an improvement, but it is a matter of preference and hearing response up top.

Good Evening, Friends,

Thanks to one and all who took time to comment on this thread! Your thoughts, comments, and suggestions are exactly what I wanted to hear! This has given me much food for thought, and in the end, has solidified my desire to buy some 2445's a kind forum member is holding for me! Having these drivers will allow me to experiment with two way, and three way systems, using the larger compression drivers. This is the only way I can really know if I like the sound of such systems, compared to similar systems using the 2420's, both with, and without, the 2405's. Thanks, again, my Friends, and once things begin to pop, experimentation-wise, I'll let you all know what sounds best to these old, and somewhat tired, ears!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Phasing advantage for 2" vs 1"

Hi Doc - Here's one last item I didn't see mentioned in the thread. When (if) you use the 2" horn for treble in the "4343" configuration (1200 Hz crossover), you cut the length of the (exponential) horn in half. The H91 horn is about 9" and the H93 is 4 1/2". This allows you to get the system driver diaphragms pretty well lined up for a change - and you can hear the difference. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mannermusic View Post
    Hi Doc - Here's one last item I didn't see mentioned in the thread. When (if) you use the 2" horn for treble in the "4343" configuration (1200 Hz crossover), you cut the length of the (exponential) horn in half. The H91 horn is about 9" and the H93 is 4 1/2". This allows you to get the system driver diaphragms pretty well lined up for a change - and you can hear the difference. Mike
    Hey, Mike,

This is a very fine idea, and one I'd not considered! I don't have the H93's, but will begin looking for a good pair, when I'm into this project. Your suggestion makes a lot of sense, and I can see why going to the shorter horn, crossed at the same 1200HZ, would make a positive difference in the sound. Thanks, VERY much, for that thought, Mike! I'll keep you posted as to how it works out. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

shave and haircut, please

On both of the 4343 pairs I rebuilt some years ago the 2311 and 2441 *did* fit if you used a simple tool used for wood turning on the doghouse top edge..

It turned out that the clearance was enough but there was NO room for play so production tolerances meant a maybe fit.

Using a scoop ( smiley face chisel ) I just removed the 1/8 inch or so on top of the doghouse to make it work. 5 minutes tops. Watch for nails...

The "massive" network change I did was add a 2 ( or 4 I can't remember ) 20Watt resistor in series to lower the output since the driver is 1.5db hotter than the 2420.

And to sum it up, DISTORTION,DISTORTION,DISTORTION.

If I was in the business listening to these for an 8hr shift day after day, this would be a no brainier. For the really tweako, get an RTA and correct it with a 539 and move on.

There is simply no comparing the large format drivers with the small. Period.

Why JBL didn't use them in the first place, or as an option, considering the high cost anyways, is a mystery. It's like the famous astronaut saying:

" It's real comforting to know you are flying in space on lowest bidder products "

sub

Obsolete

4343 upgrade

There you have it Rolf!

Get a chisel, a couple resistors, a pair of 2311's and 2441's and git 'er done!

Thread Information