Thread: E2 clone

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

E2 clone

I have been pondering for a while on a new speaker project.

Having bashed the idea of a two way there are some benefits.

They can be quite sensitive and usable on a range of amps.

A two way is also not so demanding of less than perfect recordings and can be easier to listen to.

So my idea stems from looking at some of the JBL 2532-3 1.5 inch horns and using the 2435 be driver as the horn/driver.

For woofers I was looking at 15 inch cores reconed as 2234's or similar.

There are other variations using eighteensound horns and drivers and even a Le leach horn. Other woofers might include GPA 416 drivers.

This should provide some interesting discussion.

Ian

Daily

I have four PA cabinets that use the 2352 / 2450SL with the 2226H and they are the best vocal / playback set of cabs that I have used for PA in a long while. essentially a 4726A with lighter driver and bigger horn.

Simple 24db LW at 800 with a small delay and CD / box eq and these work for any project - bar none.

I did a quick compare with a 2435BE that has been coated and really did not hear a lot of difference but I felt the larger coil and somewhat affordable diaphram was better suited for outdoor / PA use.

In the storage room I have (4) 2225 cores ( to make 2234 or 35 ), a pair of 4648 cabs and 2 more horns. I was thinking about a HT stack using the 2435BE for the rental house I own since I can bolt the cabs to the floor and hide the processing in the basement.

Another thought was to make a set of cabs that are similar to the original everest and make a set of fiberglas horn inserts for directional but time is in such short supply I leave those thoughts for beer time.

sub

BTW - the 235X family is 1.5 - the altec stuff is 1.4

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Having bashed the idea of a two way there are some benefits.
    The easiest combination is the LE14H-x with the 2435/435Be on a nice horn or waveguide. It sounds really nice and the LE14H-x has the "best" bandwidth of the newer woofers.

Greg's combination of 1200FE-8 and 476Be/H4338 is fantastic but the 1200FE doesn't go as low as the LE14H-x so alot of people would probably prefer subs as well.

I ended up going with the 1500AL and 476Be/H4338 in one pair and dual 1200FE-12's and 435Be/waveguide in another pair. I run the dual 1200FE-12's ala 4435 and Everest II and they are really killer. I like them better run that way instead of "K2-S5800 mode". I do not like the MTM arrangement and ended up with an MMT arrangement.

For woofers I was looking at 15 inch cores reconed as 2234's or similar.
    The 2234H's in 4435 or Everest II mode are really nice. The ME150 and 1500Fe should be as well.
    A two way is also not so demanding of less than perfect recordings and can be easier to listen to.
    Yeah... Greg and I listened to a CD or two that were less than "ideal" and we both were really surprised at how damn good they sounded on his system. It was a shock. Honestly, most systems just don't sound all that appealing to me. It seems alot of people like really bright, forward, grating sounds that leave me weary of it all.

Nice thread. Once I get Doc Mark to haul away those 4333 cabs, I might have some
    room to work on this again

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=12485

There's also some related DIY horn work going on that I hope to see here soon.

Obsolete
    Those are some pretty large horns.

And I thought the H4338 was a PITA...

yeah... that was at least part of why that exercise stalled. Acceptable visual
    integration will require some creativity (or redefinition of "acceptable")

Obsolete
    That's why I dumped the mini E2 design with the dual 1200FE-12's. I ended up with a very wide and shallow box to get the requisite volume while fitting in the H4338. To make the box appropriately deep I ended up with a really goofy visual design with a ton of useless volume and it had to go. Dan Ashcraft I am not.

I'm really not liking the Project May design either. I am not at all a fan of MTM's. But, it will end up as designed by the design team and that'll be that. It's basically an E2 gone MTM as opposed to the original Project of a K2-S9800 gone MTM. Don can run it as a true MTM or as a vertical E2, whichever he prefers.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    yeah... that was at least part of why that exercise stalled. Acceptable visual
    integration will require some creativity (or redefinition of "acceptable")
    Have you thought of cloning the H9800 horn?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    2352 (rear) is still my favorite. "Transcendent," I have called it, on several occasions here. The WAF issue is major, though.
    What about your H4338 horns? Those do look nice.

Thread Information