Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Dumb thought: Anyone ever compared an L7 and an L300 side-by-side?

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I thought it was working when I came by in the spring ...

Maybe we all need to buy that Tempest CD so we can compare all our speakers with the same material ...
    (I already ordered a copy for that low low note!)

Its so boring to check everything out with Steely Dan any more
    I honestly don't remember what the configuration was at that time.

Maybe I need to buy a 5-string bass guitar instead...

je

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    the 4333 sounded great! I was just surprised. In my house my b460 won't go nearly as low as the 12" Velodyne sub I use with it. If it did I would keep the whole room JBL but what I have needs it so it is there.

Also the only change(nit picks) I would make for next time is getting more sleep the day before and a different test disc ...in addition to the last one now that we have the gold standard in use

Mark

Oh and have dessert 1st

Heather was responding at the same time...the infamous test disc, lol
    Dessert first for sure. Thanks for the cookies & brownies, they were really good!

There is a value to having familiar music as the test tunes, but we didn't know each other's music collections.

There's also some value in using unfamiliar music, too.

Maybe next time it's some kind of democracy, like each of us picks 3 tunes- then we have 12 songs for all the candidates.

My dig about the Tempest test disc is kind of a nod to the personality dynamic...at first, we were all sort of cautious & polite, feeling the situation out. Then, at some point, Mark declared something about his sarcastic/obnoxious nature being held back for far too long, and he had to let his true self shine. Not long after that he declared that he'd only brought one disc, and dammit he was going to hear it on every system, with every single speaker. I think he was actually surprised when we dutifully carried out his wishes.

All good...

je

Interesting side note:

I just received—today—another Soundcraftsmen Pro-Control-Four pre-amp (identical to the one that never made it out of the van for our comparison) and a matching Pro-Power-Four power amp (see this post), and I hooked them up to make sure they were working properly. The amp uses a string of LEDs to indicate power up to 400-watts at 8-ohms, with red-line at 200. In playing the Lyle Lovett (a BMW motorcycle dealer himself) cut "She's Already Made Up Her Mind" off our event demo CD, at about the same level we hit in John's living room, the L7s were just barely lighting the 10-watt LED on the 8-ohm scale at the highest peak in the cut. I'm thinking we had plenty of headroom with the Advents. But then how accurate are these silly metering-type thingies?

I can tell you, the L7s were thumpin'!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Another thing is that while most of the speakers in my house are vintage JBL or Canton, I worked from 2000-2006 designing & installing high-end residential AV systems, so I got to hear a very good modern system pretty much every single day, or at least a few every week. If you don't get into the "for-the-money" discussion, L7s end up in a list of "very good speakers I've heard" and not "great speakers I'm dying to have some day".

je
    just out of curiosity, any particular speakers during your installations, that come to mind in the "great one's dying to have" category?

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    just out of curiosity, any particular speakers during your installations, that come to mind in the "great one's dying to have" category?
    I've liked a lot of the Canton, Vienna Acoustics, Wilson, Martin Logan, B&W, Monitor Audio, JBL Synthesis, McIntosh, Sonus Faber, Genelec...I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but I never got caught up in the model names/numbers too much since we were always changing which products we were selling, and the more high $$$ toys were mostly on other manager's installations (or service calls) anyway. I only handled the 'smaller' systems, ~$100,000 - ~$250,000 generally. I knew I'd never be owning those models, anyway, so I didn't spend a lot of time dreaming about them. I just had to keep track of what I'd spec'd/sold, or anything a client was bringing in of their own.

Probably a boring answer, sorry...

je

Zz-z-z-z-z-z-z-zzzz
    Out.

Lightbulb I had a funny idea ..........

since L7's seem to be big "bang for the buck" anymore,,,but I cant handle the burnt ash look, I wonder .....?

what about dying the grey grills and LF covers ---BLACK

then..........

veneer over the black ash factory finish with cherry or mahogany ???

bet it mite look downright OK......

or....

find a way to strip the black veneer and re-stain ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

The grilles are already black. Well, almost, but maybe not quite as black as my 4412As. Don't know what it takes to strip the veneer finish since it has a strange feel (maybe latex?) and the veneer is quite open grain. The big problem would be the baffle surface which extends down to the floor in front. It has no woodgrain to it and could be a Masonite-type material, it's hard to tell. Whatever it is it appears to be just painted semi-flat black. There's also a fine groove or bead that separates the sides from the baffle surface making it look like the entire baffle surface (the whole front) is inset into the box but overlaps the sides about 4-5mm. The L5s have the same "bead" effect but the entire front is covered in two speaker grille sections so there's no blank surface to figure out.

The black doesn't bother me, in fact the details in it are pretty endearing, actually. But then I thought these were pretty cool-looking, too, when I bought my first one in 1971:

Now this is a funny idea . . .

I have a good friend who's building a huge, timber-frame, three-story "garage". The lower floor is the work area with 12' ceilings and room to easily park at least six cars. I'm thinking about "flying" a pair of L7s about six-to-eight-feet up, HFs pointing inwards and LE120H-1s aiming down. I can't think of a better $200 garage speaker, and I just happen to have a spare pair. Of course I can't think of a better $1000 listening-room speaker, either.

Another solution to ash black . . .

Looks like someone attempted a piano-black treatment on these L7s:

JBL L7 Wonderful Sounding Speakers Shiny Black In Excellent Condition. - $499 (Sherman Oaks)

Reply to: [email protected] [?]
    Date: 2008-11-28, 8:38AM PST

JBL L7 Speakers In Excellent Condition.

These Speakers Are One Of JBL's Best And They Are In Excellent Working & Cosmetic Condition.All The Drivers Are In Perfect Working Condition And Sound Beautiful.The Cabinets Have A Beautiful Glossy Shine To Them. The Grill Front & Side Covers Are In Perfect Condition Without Any Holes,Tears Or Damages.

They Were Made Between The Years Of 1991 - 1997 And Sold For $2000.00 A Pair.

Each Speaker Consists Of:
    12" Side Firing Woofer (Brand New Foam Surround)
    8" Midbass Driver (Rubber Surround)
    5" Midrange Driver (Rubber Surround)
    1" Titanium Tweeter.

Leave Your Phone Number And I Will Call You Back.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Looks like someone attempted a piano-black treatment on these L7s:
    I was surfing and found piano black L80T's ...the page said they were specialty made for the European market by JBL , mebbe those L7's too ??
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I'm contemplating whether or not they could have been made by JBL for the home (California) market at some point. I don't believe the L7 and the rest of the series were ever sold in Europe, but then what do I know. Seems more believable that JBL might have made some in piano black as a marketing test, or for specific individuals. Hard to tell from the pics but they could be legit. I suppose LH member CHagen7 might know the answer, but I haven't seen him around since his posts to T-dome's epic L-series thread well over a year ago. Chris Hagen! You still around?

In that same thread, a member from Europe posted pics of his newly-acquired L7s and they do look a bit shinier than what we're used to in this country: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=223277&postcount=187
    Though they're nowhere near as shiny as the ones I posted up above this post.

Hey Seawolf, did you see the custom L7s I posted here?

Bmwcca

Thanks for the tip on the CL posting. I'll grab that listing and put it in the L Series thread for posterity.
    Out.

So - where are the pictures of a black Piano L300 (or piano black 4333) to go with this new direction of the thread?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

(Edit: T-dome has posted the photos here: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...&postcount=210 )

and I'll archive one the photos for when the ad disappears:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information