Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dumb thought: Anyone ever compared an L7 and an L300 side-by-side?

I'm seeing L300's go for insane prices lately..if you find a deal , Phil , and have the disposable cash...go for it....if you buy well, you can get your money back even if they dont work out for you.
    not to forget they are still the single most handsome speakers of the universe.
    (but thats offtopic)
    i dearly hope that some of you guys can get together and have a little shootout between those speakers mentionend.
    would enjoy to read about it!!

cheers,
    mikey

I've heard both but not in the same room, so I can't meet the comment criteria requested. A side-by-side would be interesting and fun, but perhaps not as enlightening as hoped for. The kind of room that favors the L7 is different than the one that favors the L300.

The key would be to answer the question, "What room will you put them in?" and then choose the speaker that best fits the room. (Imagine that? )

The L7 does in fact have real ash veneer on it, not vinyl.

Those interested in a subjective comparison of the four-way L250, XPL200, L7 and PT800/PS1400 stacks can go here

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...?t=7498&page=5

and look at posts 66–70.

Since I prefer four-ways to three-ways and direct radiators to horns and metal domes to paper or plastic cones, my opinions must be read in that light.

I'm not a fan of the two-way and three-way horn systems generally, though I've got 4430, S/2600, and SVA models. But I recognize that many love the L300, as does Doc, and I completely support his devotion to his new babies.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Ahh, the possibilities. Still hoping someone has had the opportunity to do this before. But then we can always do it ourselves. Without moving your system, the L7s would need the outboard position, out from the wall to the point of blocking the lateral throw of the 4333As just to clear the mass of the monitors and the TV for the side-firing woofer. Tough to figure out a configuration that wouldn't cause some barrier issues with one or both. I suppose both out from the wall with front baffles parallel but with the L7 on the inside is about as close as we could get and even that would upset your whole room. We'll think on it.

I can see the methodology: Blind tests at baseline. Blind test after two beers. Blind test after four beers and several Bodo's bagels. Maybe Heather could bring some of DC's finest bagels and we could kill two product evaluations with one sensory experience. She's been to Bodo's, too!
    Well, the Bodo's owner has some Dahlquists I want to hear, too, we can invite him and make a weekend of it.

je, enjoying Leinenkugel's very pleasant Summer Shandy lately.

http://www.leinie.com/av.html

Regis
    I'm in the same boat as Sir Ti Dome and feel much the same way. The L-300 is a great speaker. They are like big brutes with tuxedo's. Handsome and clean, but with a presence in any setting. You can't help but notice the stylish cabs and angled grills. In fact, they were my inspiration to getting the 4315's on floating speaker stands at the exact same angle (the stands are getting stained this weekend, pics soon!).

For now, I am in the four-way direct radiator camp and make that a five-way, as I had to add a pair of subs (you'd think that a 4315, weighing 95 pounds, with a woofer that basically is a 12" cone, with a 15" motor would have killer bass? Nooooo. The XPL-200 kills the 4315 for bass! Even my original L-65's beat up the 4315's. Looking at the cabs, one can't help but notice that the port is just big enough to hold an empty cardboard TP tube, unlike the huge ports on other JBL cabs..., but the 40hz bass is fast and accurate, so that's a good thing. Just have to supplement it...)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Well, the Bodo's owner has some Dahlquists I want to hear, too, we can invite him and make a weekend of it.
    Where you live, my prediction is we can get the level up high enough to fry the Dahlquists! Not that that would be the goal. Though I don't remember any Dahlquists I'd want to be schlepping around in a station wagon. Dahlquist phased-array DQ-10 is about all I remember. Plenty of bent metal possibilities.

Matching amps and speaker wiring at ten-feet.

hi,

I am happy to have people listen to my "stuff" I have 250Tis hooked up, bi amped, CC XO in my main room as part of a 7.2 system w/4 120ti , b460 and velo sub. I purchased a pair of 250 this weekend that are a little rough which I haven't hooked up yet near the main room. I have a pair of Dahlquist dq-28 in the bedroom w/a Velo sub. upstairs are the Dahlquist DQ-10 w/a b460 clone by DBX. My brother has a a 5.1 L7/L5 set up I put together in NC.

Price consideration the L7/L5 was by far the best deal but if price isn't the consideration it becomes personal choice IMHO.

Please let me know details of where and when and I will bring/host as able

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Regis View Post
    you'd think that a 4315, weighing 95 pounds, with a woofer that basically is a 12" cone, with a 15" motor would have killer bass
    It did in the Studio environment. It was designed to maintain the same bandwidth as the larger monitors at the expense of efficiency and it did just that. Really nice monitor for smaller studios of that era.

In the home it needed boundary reinforcement. The 4315 port was too small. The 4-inch port in the EN3 box worked much better.

Got to be BMWCCA's Haus!!
    - I hear he has a Bimmer track out back for hill climbs (grin) -
    or is that the dirt track across the street ... I get that confused!

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    hi,

Please let me know details of where and when and I will bring/host as able

Mark
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

now what does that have to do w/speakers much less JBL branded speakers...off topic...someone ban her!!!

Mark

for those that don't know, I am just teasing her
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    now what does that have to do w/speakers much less JBL branded speakers...off topic...someone ban her!!!

Mark

for those that don't know, I am just teasing her
    yeah, my back is all aquatic - no room for cars or bikes back there ...

waiting for strangers, the fish, they lurk,
    someone comes by they POUNCE up from the murk ...

(all that orange, they must be JBL fish!)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Regis
    Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    It did in the Studio environment. It was designed to maintain the same bandwidth as the larger monitors at the expense of efficiency and it did just that. Really nice monitor for smaller studios of that era.

In the home it needed boundary reinforcement. The 4315 port was too small. The 4-inch port in the EN3 box worked much better.
    Very interesting. The specs on the EN3 box is 85 litres, the 4315 is 91. The dimensions for the LN3 (similiar?) is 34x20x12. The 4315 is one inch shorter at 33"

Qoute:

"Lancer
    11-18-2005, 07:14 PM
    Those kind of look like old JBL EN3 enclosures...

Standard complement was:
    124A / 124H / 2203A / 2203H
    LE5-2 / LE5H / 2105 / 2105H
    077 / 2405 / 2405H
    LX30...."

The 4315 uses just about the same components (except the midbass). With the 4315 cabinet close to the same size as the LN3, would modifying the port to the 4" configuration increase the tuning of the bottom end? And how long does the tube have to be?

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Got to be BMWCCA's Haus!!
    - I hear he has a Bimmer track out back for hill climbs (grin) -
    or is that the dirt track across the street ... I get that confused!
    You must be confusing my house with my company office in South Carolina!

We'll have to ratchet this idea down for a bit; I'm leaving town next week. But I like the idea. Closer to NOVA would work better for two of you. So far we've offers from Opi and Fred to host. To answer the original question would work best at Fred's. The "winner" can take on the 250ti next. I'm thinking the L7s are a lot easier to toss in a car than the larger monitors. At least I can carry them one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    You must be confusing my house with my company office in South Carolina!

We'll have to ratchet this idea down for a bit; I'm leaving town next week. But I like the idea. Closer to NOVA would work better for two of you. So far we've offers from Opi and Fred to host. To answer the original question would work best at Fred's. The "winner" can take on the 250ti next. I'm thinking the L7s are a lot easier to toss in a car than the larger monitors. At least I can carry them one at a time.
    Yeah, I have to take down the LR rig at some point soon, but I'm sort of avoiding it (new input terminals, re-locate active x-over and AC3 converter, run surround speakers cables, ). "Tossing" the 4333As anywhere is a bitch, much better with at least the woofs out. It'd be easy enough to do some comparing as is- don't you also have some smaller representatives from that series?

There are also HP420s, L46s, L100s, and L110s here just to make it worth a beer & bagels trip.

There's a slim chance I'll be in the DC area this weekend, too, with a boatload of amps & Nak gear in the van. Not sure yet.

je

Well, I'll be home Sat ... have to work from my desk briefly on Sunday, but Emma is await preaching ... at the Hburg UU church! So ... if Fred is in DC this weekend anyway ... if we don't go too late, we could arrange multispeakers in the living room (with all the plants). Hard wood floors - the L200-plus (quasi L-300) speakers are on wheels and easy to move around - but honestly, its Phil's idea so isn't it kinda pointless without him and his L7s??

Maybe its best if we wait a few weeks - ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Yeah, I have to take down the LR rig at some point soon, but I'm sort of avoiding it (new input terminals, re-locate active x-over and AC3 converter, run surround speakers cables, ). "Tossing" the 4333As anywhere is a bitch, much better with at least the woofs out. It'd be easy enough to do some comparing as is- don't you also have some smaller representatives from that series?

There are also HP420s, L46s, L100s, and L110s here just to make it worth a beer & bagels trip.

There's a slim chance I'll be in the DC area this weekend, too, with a boatload of amps & Nak gear in the van. Not sure yet.

je

any chance to get together should be taken advantage of!!(IMHO) I am available all day SAT or Sunday till 4, going to see Starship in annapolis Sun night.
    I can carry the DQs 28 or 10s and even a spare set of 120ti but no 250s or the b460

Mark
    on a side note I started thread in DYI , looking for opinions

Thread Information