Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dumb thought: Anyone ever compared an L7 and an L300 side-by-side?

Are you splitting the pre-output with a Y-connector, or using the inverted output from the DX4200?

Then I'll ask the next question which is why would it make any difference if you ran the L-channel pre-output to amp #1 L-channel and to amp #2 L-channel and then each to the L-speaker HF and LF. Then did the same to the R-channel pre-out. Instead of one stereo amp for each speaker, you'd just be using the left channel of two amps for the left speaker and vice-versa. Wouldn't change what you're doing on the pre-amp-EQ, or am I too tired and should go to bed?

The debates are almost over.

Only a few more days and the burning question of our time will be answered.
    No, I don't mean who will be our next President!

This weekend we'll get a chance to answer this thread's original question: How much better will an L300 make the music sound compared to an L7?

In promoting the L300, JBL proclaimed: "The L300 is the home entertainment equivalent of the 4333 Studio Monitor — one of the most successful designs JBL has produced for the recording industry." So . . .

The home team will be fielding the 129-pound iconic 4333A system built on the massive 2231 15" LF driver with 13-pound magnet assembly in a three-way system with two compression drivers including the venerable 2405 UHF slot, combined in a 5.5-cubic-ft. enclosure with a 94dB sensitivity rating.

The visiting team will field the 70-pound upstart L7 system with the much-heralded LE120H-1 12" LF driver (purported to be sporting a 4-inch voice coil and rather massive magnet itself but for which actual specs have proven elusive) in a four-way system with the 035TiA titanium UHF in a cabinet of under 4-cubic-ft. with a 91dB sensitivity rating.

Plans are to attempt to compare both systems at a secret rural mid-Atlantic location using the same source and amplification system for each in an A-B comparison, as best we are able, and to then run them both the way their owners power them. Room-placement issues may never get answered but we'll do the best we can. An eminent guest panel will include the system owners as well as a handful of semi-local golden-eared members of this list and perhaps a spousal unit or two. Impartiality will be assured through a judicial application of a variety of barley therapies and various other forms of self-medication.

Results will be posted here, if we ever make it back home.

versus

Hey, BMWCCA,

I LOVE it!!! Of course, I'm rooting for the 4333!! If I hadn't already used up to those blanket-sized stamps, back when I was trying to send our L300's to Pete, I'd gladly send them to you, for an additional twist on this test! Our's have 2235H's in place of the original woofers from that system. I'm looking forward to hearing the results of your competition, but mostly I'm just glad you are going to be getting together with some LH members, and having some JBL fun!! Well done, my Friend!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Where are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    If I hadn't already used up to those blanket-sized stamps, back when I was trying to send our L300's to Pete, I'd gladly send them to you, for an additional twist on this test!
    I'm still waiting for them...!??

I can understand if you're trying a different method, of course you wouldn't want all that stamp adhesive glue on the sides of the L300's...

....when they finally arrive, I'll be doing an A-B between them and the L220A's.

Pete

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by pmakres1 View Post
    I'll be doing an A-B between them and the L220A's.
    Off-topic but if you like building boxes you can do like we did back in the late 70's and early 80's...

Note the LX300 crossover network in the list, which is the same network used in the 4333 and L300.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...omp/page08.jpg

You would want to build a nice 14-inch 3-way box without the PR15C (you have a B460). You can use the 076 in place of the 077 and the L94 in place of the L91.

Some people like doing things like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Plans are to attempt to compare both systems at a secret rural mid-Atlantic location...
    Will Dick Cheney be there with the Fox News team acting as impartial judges?

Widget

Great thought

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Off-topic but if you like building boxes you can do like we did back in the late 70's and early 80's...

Note the LX300 crossover network in the list, which is the same network used in the 4333 and L300.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...omp/page08.jpg

You would want to build a nice 14-inch 3-way box without the PR15C (you have a B460). You can use the 076 in place of the 077 and the L94 in place of the L91.

Some people like doing things like this.
    Yeah, I'd love to do something like this...unfortunately I don't have the woodworking facilities. I've done a lot of buiding for my system, the system furniture, ets, but most of this was done on the patio of my attached villa. I've since added a Florida room where the patio was. (I have a smaller system in there with 4313B's).

I've always wanted to build a JBL system...who knows maybe someday....

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    He was invited but will send Carl Rove and Scooter Libby instead. Fox wanted final-cut rights without approval, which we feared could focus too much on the beer drinking and not enough on the scientific aspect, and thus impact all of our abilities to run for the V.P. spot on Sarah Palin's ticket in 2012. You know, to make up for her lack of economic expertise.

Obsolete
    Huh? What the hell? That guy isn't in a federal prison somewhere?

focus too much on the beer drinking and not enough on the scientific aspect
    Be careful ..

MythBusters recently had an "alcohol myths " show....they each computer reviewed pictures of the opposite sex (sober) and numerically rated the person pictured for attractiveness .....then repeated on an .08 BA level and then on a 1.2 BA ....

the pictured women/men got more attractive , the drunker the rater was ...

MYTH - CONFIRMED !!
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    MYTH - CONFIRMED !!
    They just wanted an excuse to drink. That theory is confirmed in nearly every bar, every night around closing time.

They just wanted an excuse to drink. That theory is confirmed in nearly every bar, every night around closing time.
    I've proved it myself many times and I have the scars to prove it... now where is Sarah?

Widget

Oh, but we digress...

Please do let us know how the "shoot out" turns out. Also please bore us with all of the details... room size, layout, associated gear, etc.

Widget

Obsolete
    now where is Sarah?
    I think that little maverick is busy trying to get McCain relieved of command so she can step up to the plate. While everyone else is worrying about her credientials she is realizing that she should be running for President and McCain should have the Cheney position. She hasn't clued in on the fact that the Vice Presidency of the United States is currently the most powerful position in the known universe.

The Living Room is ~20' x 15' 6", shown to the lower left in the attached plan. Gear is along the center of the left wall, couch along the right (love seat along the top, cushy chair & Otto-man along the bottom). The room has a pretty pronounced ring that annoys me, we'll see how much people & drapery can help that. It's not terrible when seated, and even better if you sit on the floor, which puts you face-first into the 4333As. We've also got the possiblility of some 120Tis showing up, that would be an interesting third contender.

Downstairs, we may also be sampling L110s, L100s, L46s, HP420s, TR225s, S38s, T3s, and maybe some L5s and L1s.

Should be fun, won't really be scientific or anything. We may end up debating Hefeweizen VS. Pale Ale more than anything music-related.

I think that at some point we should put the TR225s on the front porch, and see if we can hear them from the Blue Ridge Mountains.

je
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information