Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Exposing the Speaker Wire myth

Quote Originally Posted by AltecLansingFan View Post
    TIP: Take 2 sets of jump-start-cables
    Smear 1 set in with baby oil, and powder it afterwards with tallow powder, after that minimum 10 hours in the freezer, when they are deep frozen you can connect the frozen cables and they are ready to produce a super sound, your can’t believe what you hear.
    During the time that you are listening to the first set you can do same with set 2, so you always have a workable set speaker cables.
    Just a .... tip
    Yes, I know from experience your recipe works like you wouldn't believe. But [GASP!] I think you may have omitted a crucial ingredient, and more significantly, SIM Factor.
    ( Supercrital Installation Mojo ).

You left out the 2 oz/cable Eye of Newt! And with freeze-dried conductors, they MUST be installed by aligning longitudinally in a plane along the Earth's North Pole-South Pole axes, +/- 0.6 degrees, to null out interference due to magnetic lay lines.

Quote Originally Posted by jeenie67 View Post
    And add to this run: Permatex electrical contact paste....goop....
    Known affectionately in the [Old School] telcom trade as "Icky Pic" ?

Messy.

Cat5 can be for BALANCED lines.

Quote Originally Posted by jeenie67 View Post
    Howdy. I may have this stuff listed here in the market place, but for a really good person, I could always slice off a chunk. Just pay for the shipping. I think I have some 300 feet of it. This is what I used inside the interconnects. I only use four strands of eight 24 gauge, cut off two, and use the last two as an extra, kinda' like a, RFI inhibitor. I live right next to a superhighway full of semis yackin' on their radios ( they're cool people) as they enter the outer suburban ring through a maze of interchanges. I also am in the flight paths of Buffalo International Airport. And a big microwave tower is in plain sight through my living room window. When I fire up the system, crank all the knobs up full power....FULL ENERGY!!! as a C movie sed'...put a disc in the player, but heaven forbid...DO NOT HIT PLAY !! ....I have to put my ear next to the speaker to hear the hiss.
    At the Radio station I use cat5 for Balanced audio, but I would never use it unbalanced audio.
    The unused strands should be grounded if you want to use them as shielding. John

The law of deminishing returns to wires.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Electron View Post
    Here is a link from Drew Daniels' Sound Path Labs Sitemap ( http://drewdaniels.com/sitemap.html ) titled "AUDIO STRICTLY FOR LAUGHS".
    http://drewdaniels.com/badreligion.html

I worked with a dude, Jon, who not only contracted the dreaded (dreaded AFAIC) "More you pay for _____ , the better your system sounds" syndrome, but also happened to have a very wealthy father who tended to accomodate ($$$) him with his whims.
    He returned to work one Monday after going to an Audio Show somewhere, with a $500+ pair of preamp to power amp "interconnects".
    I think that says it all (but I could be wrong)

BTW, that was $500+ [1983] Dollars!
    If any of you know the story of "The Emperors New Cloths" it can apply to audio big time.
    Many people thought I was crazy in 1966 when I spent $120 for my first JBL D140F. Just the speaker and no box?? Is what my wife said! I still have the speaker and the wife by the way.

In general I say that a $100 cable DOSE NOT sound four times better that $25 cable. John

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    At the Radio station I use cat5 for Balanced audio, but I would never use it unbalanced audio.
    The unused strands should be grounded if you want to use them as shielding. John
    It works fine for both, depending on cable length & other variables. The unused strands haven't entered into the equation in my experience.

Works for video, too, in a pinch.

je

.............CAT5e....

.....Thanks John. I'm making new ones sometime soon for the new addition to my system. Before ,I think I was just tired of unraveling everything and left the extra strands. They sure do the job though. The only noise I hear is from the turntable and CJ preamp. Taking note, and I run full balanced. Tanx, Gene.

Thread Information