Quote Originally Posted by Ti 5000 View Post
Hallo together.
I listen on a JBL Century Gold. Can anyone told me, for what is the Century Produced? Is it a near or midfield Speaker?
And wich Distance is near or midfield in Meters?
Pleas help.

Thanks Peter
Hi,

let me translate Your question:
a) what is near/midfield at all
b) what kind near/midfield is the century gold
concluding to
c) how do I use it best as I allready own it

(a) At what distance will the sound field change from direct to reverberation. At what distance will room reflections take over. That depends obviously on the room too. Near/midfield definitions are related to standard listening conditions. They are of no use with fidelity at Your home.

(b) I read the ad from JBL. Alas JBL does not give a further note on the directivity of the whole speaker. By design the speaker may suffer from more or less deep notches off axis due to interference and/or narrowinging/widening radiation patterns. That for the C/G can be defined as neither near nor midfield - it has - my personal assumption - no defined directivity. It is not a monitor designed for monitoring situations at recording sites.

(c) The C/G is in the first place designed to satisfy a demand on clear, substancial sound and high esthetics. You are free to simply enjoy. The less You fiddle with technical terms - that in this case won't apply - the more fun You'll have.

by

<edit 0>: some vintage JBL speakers for home use had measured @4pi space a slightly tilted frequency response towards the lower octave. This should be augmented by room influences (eq 2pi space radiation) to give flat response. That was excellent foreseeing engineering as own measurements with very different home grown speakers show nowadays. I remember myself as a youngster argueing with that technique. I wanted bass and more of it. Holy Moses, this company wouldn't give it to me!
But this so far unique bass response of JBL full size monitors may be the reason for the high impact bass response avoiding the common but highly anoing booming. I wonder why the C/G does not reiterate this concept. Is it the current demand for even more breath taking pressure, a more physical impact that came up with CD and MP3-music?

<edit 1>: the tilted, shelved - whatever You may call it - bass response of the older designs can be easyly reproduced by equalisation on demand. Drop a message to ask for it, it's DIY here