Thread: JBL Synthesis - Something BIG is on its way...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mike Ronesia
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    For your GF, you might see if anyone makes on of those air-deflector screens for your TC like what is integrated into the Crossfire and most modern convertibles. Women, especially, prefer the still-air cabin environment these produce.
    That makes it too much like a sunroof. What's the point of a convertible if you don't feel the air move?

Quote Originally Posted by 80skid
    Glad to see you're still making steady progress.

It's not surprising to hear to about Chris' suggestion for the bass. Since it's not currently practical for you to isolate the listening room from the gym area, the bass would leak out anyway. And since the system is intended to fill a much bigger space with bass to begin with, that's a practical approach.

Have you thought about breaking in the speakers prior to installation? If not, I would strongly urge you to do it. The initial hours of speaker operation typically see a significant improvement in sound quality.

Otherwise you could possibly end up with a brighter character to the system than you would like during the initial auditions and this could affect calibration, as well.

Since you have so many amps and speakers to break-in it will probably make life easier to do just 1 amp and 2 speakers at a time. (I usually play white noise for 24-48 hours at a medium volume.) If you reverse the polarity on the speakers and put them face to face, that reduces the amount of sound being transmitted into the room (and reduces the chances of you hearing the white noise from another room). Although, this may not help when doing the surround speakers (because of their dipole design), but it it will for the fronts.
    Once the room is finished, I'll schedule the calibration. Chris will have control over the final install, including what gets wired where.

Prior to his arrival, I will unbox everything and give it an integrity test. This will include some pre-conditioning using the venerable and trusted Soundcraftsmen AS2000.
    Out.

JBL 4645
    Why this thread is beginning to be bit like watching Shuttle launch in pre-tests before lunching.

Synthesis 1 flight controllers listen up. Give me go, no go for launch.

LCR.
    Go!
    Sub bass.
    Go!
    Amps.
    Go!
    EQ.
    Go!
    Surrounds
    Go!
    Acoustics
    Go!

Lunch control this Dome control we’re go for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Why this thread is beginning to be bit like watching Shuttle launch in pre-tests before lunching.

Synthesis 1 flight controllers listen up. Give me go, no go for launch.

LCR.
    Go!
    Sub bass.
    Go!
    Amps.
    Go!
    EQ.
    Go!
    Surrounds
    Go!
    Acoustics
    Go!

Lunch control this Dome control we’re go for lunch.
    That looks more like an Apollo launch, Ash...

Allan.

I will write this: setting up a Synthesis® system is not your typical open the box, wire it up, and fire it up procedure.

One could just open the boxes and hook stuff up in a room, and it would work. it just wouldn't work the way it was intended. It might even sound pretty darn good.

This is one of those serious efforts that I just want to do as right as possible.

I've never put this much effort into a room, but the system will pay me back if I do. I've never been crawling around under the house to pull two matched 20 Amp circuits through to a room that already has plenty of plugs in it, but the system will reward me. I've never used expensive, four strand wire for biamping all channels, but the SDEC4000 and all those amp channels are there for a reason. All the exact measurements, acoustic panels, diffusers, paint, lights, holy crap!

It's hard as hell to keep all that gear in the boxes, but I'm determined to make a best effort here and not pull it out 'til there's a space worthy of the equipment and an infrastructure worthy of it as well.

The launch is closer. I can feel it. Not much longer now. T minus three minutes and holding.
    Out.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post

It's hard as hell to keep all that gear in the boxes, but I'm determined to make a best effort here and not pull it out 'til there's a space worthy of the equipment and an infrastructure worthy of it as well.

The launch is closer. I can feel it. Not much longer now. T minus three minutes and holding.
    I would have had it opened the moment I had it in my possession. LOL Why hold off Dome, get it out of the boxes mate and set it up.

Found this video last you might find it exciting

JBL Synthesis shows a 27 seat cinema room featuring the new JBL Everest speakers (IFA 2007)
    http://uk.cinenow.com/videos/896-jbl-synthesis-shows-27-seat-cinema-room-featuring-new-jbl-everest-speakers-ifa-2007

80sKid
    That's an interesting video. I wonder if that room is permanent or is was constructed temporarily just for that event. They didn't make it clear.

It's too bad we weren't given a glimpse of the equipment room.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    That looks more like an Apollo launch, Ash...

Allan.
    Well Al, I, think the Dome, is just a few weeks, from officially launching his home cinema.

I recommended
    Apollo 13
    The Dream is Alive

To lunch the JBL Synthesis into orbit.

Thread Information