Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post

P.S. We dont use conduit either, well at least not in houses. That went out at the same time they stopped using VIR type cables. Somewhere in the late '40's I think.
Well, I live in the US, so I use the US standard.

As for the conduit, it serves two purposes, neither of which is required by code in this instance. First, it does provide additional shielding between the parallel runs of speaker cables and electrical wiring. Even though the runs are 18" apart, they run parallel for ten feet, so a bit of extra caution there. Second, both runs had to be pulled blind through an eight foot section of load-bearing, earthquake-proof shear wall that is ten inches thick. Trying to do that with a limp wire is a fool's enterprise. Trying to do that with four speaker cables and two power cables AND keep them at least 18" apart all the way through is lunacy.

So I drilled holes all the way through the studs and sheathing and pushed the conduit through to feed the cables. Now if you think about lining up all those holes from both ends through eight feet of wall without removing the drywall and plywood sheathing to access the studs, you get some idea of the majesty of the accomplishment.

Yes, I hit both alignments perfectly the first time. It was some grunting, dirty, sweaty work, however. I effed this and effed that more times than I care to recount. I might have slandered a deity or two as well.