Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

A Simple Desultory Philippic

from PSR&T

(soaring melodies/profound lyrics)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Accordian Death Squad ...

http://www.myspace.com/accordiondeathsquad

Doom-metal Klezmer music, in the manner of Gogol Bordello meets Tom Waits and many other influences ... the band is based in Charlottesville, VA (hey, Phil!!)

Apparently they will be the band for a Wedding that (Rev) Emma is officiating for in June ... sounds intriguing!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

watched "The Graduate" last week, and as you all know, the soundtrack is mostly SIMON & GARFUNKEL . Have never really followed Paul on on his solo works, but dug out 2 S&G LP's -Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme and Sounds of Silence.
    Thanx to Mac's support, I'm in process of building a pretty fair vinyl playback system complete with legendary MC cart (DL-103), but those albums already sounded great on the old V-15/3 .

S&G's early "protest" albums are real treats, great craftsmanship and barely a single dud across the 2 albums. As a "child of the 60's" , "A Simple Desultory Philippic (Or How I Was Robert McNamara'd into Submission)" is a real hoot.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Simpl...nto_Submission)

The funny part is that the actual "Graduate" LP is not as good and is mostly instrumentals from the movie, where PSR&T is more of the real thing.

"The film boosted the profile of folk-rock duo Simon and Garfunkel, whose soundtrack album (The Graduate Original Soundtrack), on the strength of the hit single "Mrs. Robinson", rose to the top of the charts in 1968 (knocking off The Beatles' White Album)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Graduate

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    watched "The Graduate" last week, and as you all know, the soundtrack is mostly SIMON & GARFUNKEL . Have never really followed Paul on on his solo works, but dug out 2 S&G LP's -Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme and Sounds of Silence.
    Thanx to Mac's support, I'm in process of building a pretty fair vinyl playback system complete with legendary MC cart (DL-103), but those albums already sounded great on the old V-15/3 .

S&G's early "protest" albums are real treats, great craftsmanship and barely a single dud across the 2 albums. As a "child of the 60's" , "A Simple Desultory Philippic (Or How I Was Robert McNamara'd into Submission)" is a real hoot.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Simpl...nto_Submission)

The funny part is that the actual "Graduate" LP is not as good and is mostly instrumentals from the movie, where PSR&T is more of the real thing.

"The film boosted the profile of folk-rock duo Simon and Garfunkel, whose soundtrack album (The Graduate Original Soundtrack), on the strength of the hit single "Mrs. Robinson", rose to the top of the charts in 1968 (knocking off The Beatles' White Album)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Graduate

That is pucker song by SIMON & GARFUNKEL pucker. Did you get the urge to turn up the fader a little bit more on the end credits to give it that wow, send off that fades into the sound of silence? Chocks my throat up this song does, pucker.

Simon and Garfunkel "Sound of Silence" in Central Park
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kd8xp86reY

The Sound of Silence en The Graduate
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxWkCHt8owc

Are you trying to seduce me Tom.

The Graduate - Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lumC...eature=related

Like use of guitar acting as sound effect on the opening of this part, not the framing isn’t full scope 2.35:1, wonderful film, have t get this on region 2 DVD classic film classic.

Like use of guitar acting as sound effect on the opening of this part, not the framing isn’t full scope 2.35:1, wonderful film, have t get this on region 2 DVD classic film classic.

BEEENNNN!

Graduate end scene
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9eIXN6Sp40&feature=related

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    That is pucker song by SIMON & GARFUNKEL pucker. Like use of guitar acting as sound effect on the opening of this part, not the framing isn’t full scope 2.35:1, wonderful film, have t get this on region 2 DVD classic film classic.
    Ash - I have a soft spot for that film as I first saw it the summer that I graduated from HS in Santa Barbara and much of the film was shot in local Santa Barbara locations that we saw all the time..we laughed at Ben driving to Berkley going south into the tunnel at SLO and emerging going north ...etc.

Still a great movie....maybe DH's best ??

As long as we're babbling about soundtracks......

I always enjoyed the movie "Harold & Maude", partly because the entire score was tunes from that renowned International terrorist - Cat Stevens

Also , I had the 6 hour Apocalypse Now rough cut, before the narration and with timing marks visable.....the whole score was DOORS songs.

Six Wives

I pulled out an old one to hear on the way to work today--Rick Wakeman, "The Six Wives of Henry VIII." It still sounds good, probably his best non-Yes work.

JBL 4645
    Ash - I have a soft spot for that film as I first saw it the summer that I graduated from HS in Santa Barbara and much of the film was shot in local Santa Barbara locations that we saw all the time..we laughed at Ben driving to Berkley going south into the tunnel at SLO and emerging going north ...etc.

Still a great movie....maybe DH's best ??

As long as we're babbling about soundtracks......

I always enjoyed the movie "Harold & Maude", partly because the entire score was tunes from that renowned International terrorist - Cat Stevens

Also , I had the 6 hour Apocalypse Now rough cut, before the narration and with timing marks visable.....the whole score was DOORS songs.

Nice that you had a soft touch Tom for that era and noticing the continuity mistake. LOL

One of many that was publicized with highly critically good review for its Dolby stereo mix onto 70mm with its stereo surrounds that would allow greater flexibly and ingenuity with a far realistic cinema going experience that could only be find on the Road Show 70mm realises of the time.

Tom you may find the last two videos of interest with the evolution of Apocalypse Now 1979) and “Apocalypse Walter Murch Now” sound designer.

Apocalypse Now - Intro, music by The Doors
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCUQtbZ3Tbs

Apocalypse Now - Ghost Helicopter Flyover
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=4g7ypnQldqM&feature=related

Worldizing: a sound design concept - by Walter Murch
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_py6jVyOqUY

Tom you may find the last two videos of interest with the evolution of Apocalypse Now 1979) and “Apocalypse Walter Murch Now” sound designer.

Apocalypse Now - Intro, music by The Doors
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCUQtbZ3Tbs

Apocalypse Now - Ghost Helicopter Flyover
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=4g7ypnQldqM&feature=related

Worldizing: a sound design concept - by Walter Murch
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_py6jVyOqUY
    Ash ....thanx for the great links....its also interesting to someone who appreciates AN, some of the details that were cut...on the scene with Williard in the Saigon hotel room,(your first link) in the original - he wasnt alone. there was a girl sitting, watching him.

the "ghost helo flyover" was really technically interesting. I have forewarded that link to friends....

JBL 4645
    Ash ....thanx for the great links....its also interesting to someone who appreciates AN, some of the details that were cut...on the scene with Williard in the Saigon hotel room,(your first link) in the original - he wasnt alone. there was a girl sitting, watching him.

the "ghost helo flyover" was really technically interesting. I have forewarded that link to friends.... not wanting to sound like Jonathan Quayle Higgins, I wont recount my huey stories. (nobody believes one of them anyway - but I DO have pics)
    Tom

Evening there.

I’m not sure if that is part of documentary on of many different versions of the classic film, I have two versions a first edition on region 2 that flipping wowed me a few years back now. The later Redux and I like the scene with the corneal and more than a few helicopters flying around with tape recording. “Just give me back the board Lance, it was good board and I like it, you know how hard it is to find a board you like.”

That’s a rough quote from what I can remember as I played that scene over a few times with the sound coming from, I think it’s the side surrounds and it moves over to centre back and exits off to the right surround, while there’s slight difference over LCR fronts, I’d have to re-watch just to be a bit more positive.

I think I’ve seen outtakes or is it in the redux version at the start, I know its got the scene where they, stop up river at French settlement.

there is a percussion soundtrack to AN by "The Rhythm Devils" - Mickey Hart" called "The Apocalypse Now Sessions". Its done on native instruments and is brutal, downright scarrey. The very last cut is called "Napalm For Breakfast" and features the very lowest freq notes I've ever heard recorded. My subs cant handle it. its the sound of the B-52 strike in the jungle. I have to turn the gain way down, and still it doubles, and I worry about damaging the drivers. Somebody with a great sub should give this a try.

http://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-Now...1679562&sr=8-1

from the reviewers:
    Check out the closing track - Napalm for Breakfast to test your stereo speakers

While "Napalm For Breakfast" will be a brutal low frequency response test of you system, it's time for another update. At a minimum, a two channel, 24/96 & 24/192 Classic Records release.

A very acquired taste, and very recommended.

From the Label
    Director Francis Ford Coppola was in the process of conceptualizing his musical underpinnings of "Apocalypse Now" when he attended a Grateful Dead concert at the invitation of the late impresario Bill Graham. In the "Drums" segment of the evening, when Hart and Kreutzmann let loose with their percussive underworld of innovative instruments, he found the perfect accompaniment for his cinematic vision of the Apocalypse. Hart and Kreutzmann were recruited to bring together the myriad sounds and "colors" for this retelling of the primal myth. To the subsequent 1979-80 sessions at the Grateful Dead's Marin County studios as well as Mickey's famous "Barn" in Novato, each musician contributed a personal selection of instruments and objects, resulting in a massive assemblage of possible sonic palettes. Instruments were arranged in sound groups, and the musicans moved among them as they watched the film being screened before them. This album is a collection of the resulting jungle of sound and passion, and features an extra track ("Kurtz") and an extended version ("Napalm for Breakfast") not included on the original LP release.

JBL 4645
    there is a percussion soundtrack to AN by "The Rhythm Devils" - Mickey Hart" called "The Apocalypse Now Sessions". Its done on native instruments and is brutal, downright scarrey. The very last cut is called "Napalm For Breakfast" and features the very lowest freq notes I've ever heard recorded. My subs cant handle it. its the sound of the B-52 strike in the jungle. I have to turn the gain way down, and still it doubles, and I worry about damaging the drivers. Somebody with a great sub should give this a try.

http://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-Now...1679562&sr=8-1

from the reviewers:
    Check out the closing track - Napalm for Breakfast to test your stereo speakers

While "Napalm For Breakfast" will be a brutal low frequency response test of you system, it's time for another update. At a minimum, a two channel, 24/96 & 24/192 Classic Records release.

A very acquired taste, and very recommended.

From the Label
    Director Francis Ford Coppola was in the process of conceptualizing his musical underpinnings of "Apocalypse Now" when he attended a Grateful Dead concert at the invitation of the late impresario Bill Graham. In the "Drums" segment of the evening, when Hart and Kreutzmann let loose with their percussive underworld of innovative instruments, he found the perfect accompaniment for his cinematic vision of the Apocalypse. Hart and Kreutzmann were recruited to bring together the myriad sounds and "colors" for this retelling of the primal myth. To the subsequent 1979-80 sessions at the Grateful Dead's Marin County studios as well as Mickey's famous "Barn" in Novato, each musician contributed a personal selection of instruments and objects, resulting in a massive assemblage of possible sonic palettes. Instruments were arranged in sound groups, and the musicans moved among them as they watched the film being screened before them. This album is a collection of the resulting jungle of sound and passion, and features an extra track ("Kurtz") and an extended version ("Napalm for Breakfast") not included on the original LP release.

Tom

You have to download the Spectrumlab and connect a simple lead from the AVR or HI-Fi doesn’t really matter as long as it’s coming from the RCA outlet.

Then play the moment that gives your sound system a few issues as it will record the frequency and the response range down to the lowest 0Hz to 120Hz it would be most interesting to see the results of this mix.
    http://freenet-homepage.de/dl4yhf/spectra1.html

Direct download link.
    http://freenet-homepage.de/dl4yhf/spectra1.html

Scroll down the page slowly until you see this link I guess you can go ahead and click or read the brief introduction, its really piss easy mate to load and then once its done it only needs a few simple settings applied, and assuming you have lead with small phone jack plug to fit into the microphone input on the back of the pc, you’re clear to go and start recording a few waterfall frequency graphs chats.

Wasn’t it “Hey wants that?” “Arc-light” “what?” “Arc-light” “B-52 strike”

Back in the 80's , I checked this LP out from the library, took it home and tried to play it. Using a Dual 701 with a Shure V-15 "SuperTrack" , pushed by a big Pioneer receiver thru some Ar3's at about 20 feet.
    On the last cut, the tt wud not track. So I turned the gain to a whisper and dubbed the LP to cassette tape (not the highest fidelity). So now I was able to play it at a reasonable level.

Do you know about AR3's ? Bass demons.

Now I was able to play "Napalm for Breakfast" , but knocking pictures off the wall .

JBL 4645
    Back in the 80's , I checked this LP out from the library, took it home and tried to play it. Using a Dual 701 with a Shure V-15 "SuperTrack" , pushed by a big Pioneer receiver thru some Ar3's at about 20 feet.
    On the last cut, the tt wud not track. So I turned the gain to a whisper and dubbed the LP to cassette tape (not the highest fidelity). So now I was able to play it at a reasonable level.

Do you know about AR3's ? Bass demons.

Now I was able to play "Napalm for Breakfast" , but knocking pictures off the wall .
    Tom

This is the first I’ve heard about sorry to say. I was going to have a crack attempt at some of those music samples, then realized I don’t have secondary lead to patch from the out from the pc to the AUX input on the AVR as I only have on Frankenstein lead and I mean its bits of cable patched together and yet its able to give me satisfactory waterfalls. LOL so I don’t what to hear any big talk about £200 pound or $dollar RCA cable leads that are only 1m long, now then.

came home with 7 LP's yesterday, all mint condition ...HEART "Little Queen", Switched-on Bach , Hugo Winterhalter goes..Hawaiian , harry Owens "Voice of the Trade Winds" (I must be ready for a hawaii vacation) , Cool Water (aleady have this , but condition so good, well always need a backup), Mancini plays Mancini, and Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs - Marty Robbins.

got a chance to play Marty today - El Paso, Cool Water,etc,,,he's got the sweetest voice next to Roy Orbison. I didn't know that he sung "A white sportcoat and a pink carnation"..always thot it was Perry Como.

Anyhoo,,lots of good listening fun for $3.50

Tom

You have to download the Spectrumlab and connect a simple lead from the AVR or HI-Fi doesn’t really matter as long as it’s coming from the RCA outlet.
    Wasn’t it “Hey wants that?” “Arc-light” “what?” “Arc-light” “B-52 strike”
    Ash - that was pretty ez. didn't read anything, just started playing wif it.
    looks like NFB registered useable signal to 10hz ??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information