Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
I don't see the point in adding a mass ring when using a digital crossover.
The 2235 is just 3dB less efficient is the midrange, the LF response remains the same. For me a mass ring is just a loss of energy (aquaplass is another story, because it can help damping the cone).
Thanks!

It is the midrange on my cabinets that I have too much of. Suppressing that slightly would flatten out the response and make the lower end sound more robust. Or am I missing something?

Is there any way of determining if the cones that were installed on my drivers are genuine JBL or some 3rd-party generic replacement?

I don't remember the date or the markings that were written on the cones, but it does appear that these were replaced.

It would be good to know what the pedigree of these cones are. Since I have to replace the damaged domes, I will be able to easily confirm if the mass rings are installed.

However, the measured Fs of the driver in free air was 23 Hz and I have a lot of music time on these drivers, so they should be as loose as they are going to get. The free air Fs of 23 Hz leads me to believe there are no mass rings installed.

Oh, I am using a passive crossover and a 60 WPC tube amp to drive these, by the way.