Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Power Line Conditioners! Yay, or nay?

The dividing line?

Digital optical links.

Or, is it optical digital links?

Never mind....

Figge
    my experience is: i´ve tried expensive ultra super duper (or what ever) speaker wires. and it works just as fine as "regular" speaker wire! as for signalwire between the gear: my dual 505 vinyl player needed new signal cable due to the old one stoped sounding in left ch. i went to a store and picked up a 0,5m long "fat" with goldplated rca:s for 50 bucks!!! mounted it on the dual! its an understatement to say i was dissapointed! it sounded like crap! me then mounted back the original cable, with a little "adjustments" it sounds in both channels now

!!!the cableguy is out to rob you!!!
    Last edited by Figge; 07-16-2004 at 05:26 AM.

Figge

signalcable

however: i did make my own cable for the cd...bought 4 gold rca:s and 2m antennacable "TV" cable! mounted it...and wow! it was a little better than the one that came with the cd! atleast i thought so! if u like fiddling with cables u should try this! alot cheaper!!

Re: The dividing line?

Originally posted by Zilch
    Or, is it optical digital links?
    Yea - a syntax test!

I believe it would be "optical digital".
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

The noise can also come from within your favourite amp.

While I do not want members opening up their amps due to dangerous mains voltages inside, a simple upgrade of the rectifier doides can make a noticable improvement. (you need is schematic to do this properly)

I technican can do this for you by using with fast soft recovery recifier diodes and hi current Hexfred diodes in the power amp (with low EMI switching noise).

The subjective effect is a marked change in the HF registers which become more defined with more quiet between the notes.

Another tweek is to replace the filter capacitors in the preamplifer power supply with high quaility audio types like Nichicon "Muse" Elna Cerefine or Black Gate of the same value. The same can be done for the power amp. (see Michael Percy home page for audio quality parts).

Tonality and transient performance improves across the whole spectrum. The larger series electro capacitors in the signal path can also be replaced with Black Gate N series.

Your equipment will sound more like a +1000 more component!

Other improvements can be made but this would involve adding parts or making changes to the design.

Ian

PSS AUDIO
    Originally posted by Ian Mackenzie
    ... Another tweek is to replace the filter capacitors in the preamplifer power supply with high quaility audio types like Nichicon "Muse" Elna Cerefine or Black Gate of the same value. The same can be done for the power amp. (see Michael Percy home page for audio quality parts). ... Other improvements can be made but this would involve adding parts or making changes to the design.

Ian
    I even removed all caps in the signal path! Enhances the lows but need a good DC protection on the amplifier!

It is true that the filter capacitors ARE important but good brands can sound great or poor from one amplifier to an other!

I used some BC capacitors from the 114 series, and was more than disappointed!

Maybe

The noise can also come from within your favourite amp.

While I do not want members opening up their amps due to dangerous mains voltages inside, a simple upgrade of the rectifier doides can make a noticable improvement. (you need is schematic to do this properly)

I technican can do this for you by using with fast soft recovery recifier diodes and hi current Hexfred diodes in the power amp (with low EMI switching noise).

The subjective effect is a marked change in the HF registers which become more defined with more quiet between the notes.

Another tweek is to replace the filter capacitors in the preamplifer power supply with high quaility audio types like Nichicon "Muse" Elna Cerefine or Black Gate of the same value. The same can be done for the power amp. (see Michael Percy home page for audio quality parts).

Tonality and transient performance improves across the whole spectrum. The larger series electro capacitors in the signal path can also be replaced with Black Gate N series.

Your equipment will sound more like a +1000 more component!

Other improvements can be made but this would involve adding parts or making changes to the design.

Ian
    I have tried " audiophile " caps, in various components, and most of the time found I liked the components the way the manufacturewr made them! One upgrade I tried was to put two 470uf 50v Elna cerafine caps in the Urei 1620,s power supply! Should have been a worthwhile upgrade as the caps in the PSU are 470uf 50v Rubycon, maybe they cost a nickel a piece! Well, the Urei sounded edgy, and harsh with the $9.00 apiece Elnas, and after three weeks I put the original caps back in and it was such a relief!

I ventured into other pieces, and I have tried the BG caps, and again, not what I thought it would be.

I have come to the conclusion that altering the sound of any component is very tricky affair, and most of the time, IMHO, a circuit should be designed with and for the electronic components being used!

A good manufacturer uses good parts, and has already done what they feel sounds the best with their components! This is my opinion.

Its kinda like taking your BMW 5 series to the Cam 2 gas station! You can put 100 octane unleaded racing fuel in it, and it will go, but it wasnt designed for this fuel!

Scott,

I appreciate your experience,

The Cerefines and Blackgates can take quite some time to break in however. That may not suit everyone.

It is well documented in TAA that they sound edgy to start with then progressively become more mellow then spectacular.

Of course a more revealling component will be less kind to the lesser signal up stream.

The interal makeup is different for normal elctros, they are dry not wet and use fine particles, they also last practically forever.

Ian

I know what your saying.........

I know caps take a bit of time to break in, but, three weeks, at ten hours a day should be more than enough!

I just have come to my own conclusion, that IF a component, and its tonality are to be altered, its an affair for a technician, or the factory that made the component in the first place!

I have had factory mods done to amps and stuff, and been happy with that, but I have never been happy with homebrew mods!

Now thats not to say that some of you guys arent capable to do things like this, it just means that I dont have what I feel are the neccesary measurement devices, knowledge, and skills required to successfully alter, and modify a circuit!

Case in point, my new PSS Audio 300 with mods performed by Yuri and tested by him and his company, and still undergoing listening evaluation! I know what I want, he knows how to make it!

I remember reading the discussions on rec.audio.opinion years ago and i use to get a big kick out of the mud slinging and tempers over what people heard or didn't. I'm a firm believer that a dedicated line to the equipment is all that one needs. But who knows? I am a firm believer in those little stone you put under the amps for a better sound!

OH here we go!

Originally posted by Audiobeer
    I remember reading the discussions on rec.audio.opinion years ago and i use to get a big kick out of the mud slinging and tempers over what people heard or didn't. I'm a firm believer that a dedicated line to the equipment is all that one needs. But who knows? I am a firm believer in those little stone you put under the amps for a better sound!
    Someone FINALLY brought up the Shun Mook stones! I always read about them and I wonder. maybe Im not taking the right drugs or something, but exactly HOW can a little polished piece of stone or exotic wood change something sonically, by sitting on, or under, a speaker or amplifier?

Ill tell ya what, though, a few years back, I bought this device that emits some sort of signal thats supposed to make everything electric work, and sound better! Quantum, thats the name of the company, and I had it atop my rack for a few weeks, and I really couldnt hear any diff with or without!

Thers so much stuff for sale out there, and I get so amused at things sometimes!

P.S. Audiobeer, I say this with absolutely no disrespect for you, whatsoever! Its all good.

PSS AUDIO
    Scott,

I appreciate your experience,

The Cerefines and Blackgates can take quite some time to break in however. That may not suit everyone.

It is well documented in TAA that they sound edgy to start with then progressively become more mellow then spectacular.

Of course a more revealling component will be less kind to the lesser signal up stream.

The interal makeup is different for normal elctros, they are dry not wet and use fine particles, they also last practically forever.

Ian
    Ian,

First of all, do you think that big names of PA are listening what they manufacture?

They take more care reading and printing their datasheets with gorgeous numbers than improving the sonic quality of their gear.

As a manufacturer I've listened at huge numbers of components.

Well know and unknown.

It is true that, as I already wrote, that:

The winding of the transformer is important,
    As the bridge,
    As the caps,
    As the schematic.

Everything goes together.

If you have a bad transformer and put either a first class capacitor or amplifier, you will hear what the transformer can provide, same for a schematic.

One must fine the best settings with what he uses and a great capacitor can sound poor in such a case, and an unknown one can be great while it is poor for an other use!

As you will soon receive a PSS amplifier, you can play with it and change some parts.

Let us know then what happened. I do not say that you will not improve something somewhere but what would be the price of your effort?

Black Gates are very well known capacitors, as Elna do. I’m waiting some Elna caps to listen at then and compare them to the Jamicon caps I use buy now (have you ever heard about them, I did not but once I used them, wow what a difference vs BC Components one).

Black Gate may sound better, how much better and what is their pricing compared to the one I use?

Using first class components will never make sound well a bad design!

Think about all that!

Re: OH here we go!

Originally posted by scott fitlin
    [Thers so much stuff for sale out there, and I get so amused at things sometimes!

P.S. Audiobeer, I say this with absolutely no disrespect for you, whatsoever! Its all good.

[/B]
    I agree completely! What I meant by a dedicated line is one that goes from the fusebox powering my audio system only......no refriderators, attic fans, ect!

Yuri,

I am not sure I understand what you mean here.

>>>First of all, do you think that big names of PA are listening what they manufacture?

If you mean PA = public address annd pro audio I think they look at weight, price, reliability, branding and then sonics in that order. What ends up in a studio scene or hi power hifi is a totally different market application and voicing/parts is propably first on the agenda, then price to suit the market, cosmetics and design.

ie the Amron Trash advert is dated but true of Tour Sound...IMHO.

My comments in my earlier post were a generalisation, but fast soft recovery diodes are a "known" EMI noise creator, where as capacitors are like lipstick. It depends on the occassion, the mood and everything else.

As my good friend Hugh Dean of Aspen Amplifers (Aska) says, selecting parts and the pcb payout is only the beginning and where art and science meet.

Yuri, you are right about the transformer, and most diy people do not have the resources to be aware of all these issues. But generally you get what you pay for.

ie PassLabs use Pilitron power tranformers in some of their products made to their specifications, but every unit is carefully tested and screened to meet rigid requirrments.

http://www.plitron.com/pages/Product...o/testimon.htm

>>>Black Gates are very well known capacitors, as Elna do. I’m waiting some Elna caps to listen at then and compare them to the Jamicon caps I use buy now (have you ever heard about them, I did not but once I used them, wow what a difference vs BC Components one).

I have seen Jamicon capacitors on the Exicon site but never ordered them. I may do so in future projects, What series do you recommend? I have only used Black Gate C series in one coulping application and I am most impressed.

>>>Using first class components will never make sound well a bad design!

Yuri I agree. Put another way, the Passlabs Aleph is a classic example and I have built several. Its a brilliant design and is relatively immune to capacitor quality in the power supply according to the designer.

Many diy versions have even been built using even recycled parts with subjective performance that rivals hi end commercial designs.

http://www.passdiy.com/gallery.htm

So I suppose the the price benefit advantage is a tough call but I tend to think that you have have to adopt a consistant, balanced approach no matter what you are doing. The benefit of $500 in Hovlands in the crossover will only show full potential if everthing is equally good up stream.

I had a hard time doing diy tweeks years ago with mass market consumer electonics as there was only modification not improvement in most cases. All that stuff is much more clean cut with a top notch design as most of the distortion generators in inferior designs are gone that tend to be susceptible to component quality.

I do not propose to take the lid of the PSS amplifier...that's a bit like putting your finger in the pie when big Momma's not looking and better left to the designer..IMHO.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Mackenzie; 07-17-2004 at 10:45 AM.

Originally posted by PSS AUDIO
    First of all, do you think that big names of PA are listening what they manufacture?

They take more care reading and printing their datasheets with gorgeous numbers than improving the sonic quality of their gear.
    I personally think that quite an arrogant comment, and perhaps dangerously ignorant, as well. There is a great deal of R&D going on, and testing competitor gear is a large part of that. You can believe what you will, but the danger in that type of thinking / ranting, is that you underestimate your peers.

But, this is a dialogue between you and Ian, and I'll butt out.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information