Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JBL 2226/2446/Be/350hz round wooden Edgar tractix horns

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    Compared to my 350 Hz Edgarhorns these require much more EQ and I had to attenuate them less. They are approx 4 db less efficient.
    Ron, I think it's normal to add more HF compensation and loose a little efficiency in a wide angle horn compared to a very focused horn like the Edgarhorn. By way of the electronic crossover, I add about 10 db at 20KHz in a 12db/octave HP boost. This would mean that I am adding 4 db at 15Khz and 1 db at 12.5Khz.

In any case, I am pretty confident that you'll get them dialed in.

They image pretty darn well, but I don't think any horn images as well as a full Tractrix.

It's time to get the corner horns downstairs

I think since these HF horns are so LARGE that a folded corner horn is in order to do the bottom end to match the dispersion characteristics of the HF horn.

I should be able to make that happen by beginning of next week.

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

I have a similar system comprised of a 2225 and 2445. I've never been a fan of Ti diaphragms but I have added some tweeters - 2402s, crossed at 10K. The tweets take the the annoying "tssssss" out of the Ti frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I am not so sure this is a universal truth.

Widget

Oh absolutly this is how I feel, not a universal truth. I have the big Heils for tweeters and I ran the 2441 with Radian diaphragm and it needs the tweeter. With the TrueXtent, I felt no need for a tweet.

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    Hi all!

I get to borrow these until I get my own built. they are Radial Tractix(?) made with poplar designed for a Fc (flare cutoff) of 248 Hz. I'm running JBL 2446 2" compression drivers w/Be diaphrams.

Compared to my 350 Hz Edgarhorns these require much more EQ and I had to attenuate them less. They are approx 4 db less efficient.

I'm currently using 1.6 khz crossover, but will change to 800 hz crossover whenever I get the chance to build them.

They sound very large (just like their physical size) and there is still work to be done on these (horn/driver transition), but they sound very nice!

Measurements:

H = 17"
    W = 23.5" (straight across the front opening)
    D = 14.5" (horn only) (with driver included: 22")

Ron sends....
    Looking good Ron. I really like the bigness of those horns. They fill my room really well and still have 90% of that tight imaging that I came to expect from my Edgarhorns. These however have more of a live concert sound to them and with GREAT detail.

Folded bass horns might be the good ticket, but after hearing Dan's speakers at AKfest with the Lambda, I am sold on those. To put this in perspective, and this is just my ear, I am passing on a pair of Sound Lab M-1PX (26K new) in order to get Dan's horns.

Thread Information