Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4430 l-pads

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Figge

4430 l-pads

hi! im having some problems tuning the l-pads so the speakers sound goon on most records. is there any tips or tricks i dont know about? when playing a cd for exaple, i fiddle with them till it sounds perfect, then thow in another cd it sometimes sounds like crap! and im there fiddling again! cd:s from early 90:s seem to have exessive treble...maybe to compensate all the crappy speakers sold that decade?

however: when playing vinyl this problem doesnt occur! well atleast not so much that it bothers me!

any suggestions on a "neutral" record i can tune after?

Obsolete

Re: 4430 l-pads

Ah! The perils of owning JBL Studio Monitors! You need to get a different brand loudspeaker, something like an Audiophile loudspeaker that masks everything to the extent that all recordings sound listenable.

First off get yourself some kind of measurement capability. Only because you cannot reliably use any kind of source material to set your driver balance. Sure you can listen to your set-up disks and use those but it helps to know how they are set and you can go through the range and see what they really do. As for me once they are set they stay that way. Same for EQ ect. I gave up chassing my tail over poorly balanced recordings years ago. If they are awful well then so be it.

Rob

Originally posted by Robh3606
    ...once they are set they stay that way. Same for EQ ect.
    Hey, Figge...

Rob's got my take on this. Are you using EQ? If not, think about it to better tune the system to the room acoustic response. Set the EQ and L-pads for best result on some proper source material, and then tweak to personal taste.

Then, take CD's that don't sound right and put them into a pile that doesn't get played much, or leave them in the car where it is less noticable...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    Don't believe them! Lies! ALL LIES!

The only records that need to sound good are "Dark Side of the Moon", "Aja", and "Crime of the Century". If you dial those three in your golden.

Originally posted by Giskard

The only records that need to sound good are "Dark Side of the Moon", "Aja", and "Crime of the Century". If you dial those three in your golden.
    ...but, I don't like Aja. Now what will I do?

Widget

Figge

Dark Side of the Moon are one of my favorite albums ever! and it sounds good too! on vinyl that is! CD:s just dont compare!

well supertramp works too...

Rob; what kind of meashuringdevice? i need some help on this one. if i just knew the speakers were "right" on the pads then i wouldnt care. but u never know do ya? unless u meashure the system.

Bo: no i´m not using Eq. i have an old one somewhere...but i dont know if it´s quality meets with the JBL:s
    Last edited by Figge; 07-23-2004 at 11:44 AM.

Giskard!!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Figge

Re: Re: 4430 l-pads

You need to get a different brand loudspeaker, something like an Audiophile loudspeaker that masks everything to the extent that all recordings sound listenable.

Bose? missions? any suggestions?
    maybe even a pair of infinity?

just foolin´around i never will let these go! best damn speakers i ever heard! even on crappy records!.....

with the "right" records they can easyli recreate a band as if they were playin´in my living room. i didnt know a pair of speakers could do that. but i guess u guys allready knew that?
    Last edited by Figge; 07-23-2004 at 11:58 AM.

Originally posted by Figge
    Bo: no i´m not using Eq. i have an old one somewhere...but i dont know if it´s quality meets with the JBL:s
    Hell, I know some luminaries here are using Rane's, knowing full-well there are other brands - but they enjoy them none-the-less. You might drag it out, and give it a try. It could be that a global taming some of the acoustics of that room might be a more satifsying solution...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Figge
    Originally posted by boputnam
    You might drag it out, and give it a try.

well i aint seen it for a while...but thanx for finding it for me!

ps: how the heck did it get up there? beats me

Re: 4430 l-pads

hi! im having some problems tuning the l-pads so the speakers sound goon on most records. is there any tips or tricks i dont know about? when playing a cd for exaple, i fiddle with them till it sounds perfect, then thow in another cd it sometimes sounds like crap! and im there fiddling again! cd:s from early 90:s seem to have exessive treble...maybe to compensate all the crappy speakers sold that decade?

however: when playing vinyl this problem doesnt occur! well atleast not so much that it bothers me![B]

CDs (not all of course) have been accused of being recorded on the bright side to begin with. Vinyl records (or the way the sound was changed by the time it hit the lathe) have a tendency to roll off the highs which can also vary from track to track as you move toward the center of the disk. You may be finding you have some acuity to the difference in highs for this reason.

As for tuning the Lpads, I can suggest two cheap ways using mostly your ears. The basic method is to turn down all controls to the minimum, then start from the bottom-up to level the sound. Start with the mid control to bring the level up compared to the woofer just to where it sounds balanced to your ears, that is no one speaker is dominating the output. Then repeat the process with the high range to balance that driver with the other two.

Second is use the same approach above but using recorded white noise available on test CDs. This may be easier to tell when one speaker is louder over the other.

Obsolete
    Originally posted by Mr. Widget
    ...but, I don't like Aja. Now what will I do?

Widget
    Completely irrelevant! It only needs to sound good

jandregg
    Dump your current speakers and fill up on L100s. Remove the grills and put them in the 4 corners of the room. Take your clothes off and sit crosslegged in the middle of the room. Turn the volume all the way up and play all those cds that don't sound good now. Take another slug of red anytime that sensation returns.

Don't forget:

"OHMMMMMMMmmmmm" between tracks. Harmonic convergence matters.

It's a technical thing....

R=E/I

Thread Information