Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help on JBL Olympus S7R

Bestsmurfs
    Well so far you called me a queer, pussy whipped, poor boy who never gets out. and I'm laughing my ass off with my skinny B&W's and my S8's. Whatever.......

Audio stores in the northeast don't carry JBL and I don't buy my audio gear at Best Buy.

Reviewing the thread several others eluded that he audition new speakers. Correct Answer.

Velodyne........ 5HZ vibration that will crumble your neighbors driveway

Originally posted by Bestsmurfs

Velodyne........ 5HZ vibration that will crumble your neighbors driveway
    I have a Velodyne HGS sub. They are stunning at 20Hz, but not very musical above 45-50Hz.

The JBLSub1500, an example of the newer JBL engineering, will also stun you with it's 20Hz performance but it also sounds musical.

Widget

Bestsmurfs
    Thanks Mr. Widget.

I had a hard time getting my 15" HGS II dialed in until I tried a tip I saw in the Mapleshade catalog. That was to tie in using speaker cables from my CJ amp and crossing it over as low as possible. That would be around 60hz to blend with my “no bass” skinny speakers rated at 42Hz.

Actually I did buy a JBL Surround sound system in a box from J&R in NY. It’s OK for surround sound TV but definitely not for music.

I know you already know all this stuff because you helped me a while back……

Bestsmurfs
    Got to go. Wifes home, I have to turn off the music and cook dinner.

I had a hard time getting my 15" HGS II dialed in until I tried a tip I saw in the Mapleshade catalog. That was to tie in using speaker cables from my CJ amp and crossing it over as low as possible. That would be around 60hz to blend with my “no bass” skinny speakers rated at 42Hz.

Yeah, I am using my Velodyne with some "skinny" Monitor Audio speakers that don't quite make it to the 45Hz point either. I "fixed" the problem by adding a Scanspeak helper woofer that I run from 30Hz to 150Hz. Surprisingly it nicely fills in the upper bass without ruining the clarity or imaging of the somewhat lean but otherwise excellent speakers..

Widget

Bob in Denver

classical music and JBL S7R

I listen to classical music most of the time with both tube and solid state.I find that the 2440(same as 375) mounted on my wooden Edgar horn sounds pure and very smooth and life-like.Maybe it's just the tractrix aspect.

Bestsmurfs
    How Bob, I was just out in Denver to visit my son. Very nice indeed! Sorry that I don't know much about the math.... I'm sure the wood lends mellowness to the tone that is superior to my plastic lens. But as Mr. Giskard said before he deleted his numerous posts “Simply put, if the B&W 804 didn't outperform a 45 year old design there'd be something wrong now wouldn't there?”

If you are happy, we are all happy too! I was listening to my JBL’s today and by any reasonable standards they are great speakers. It’s only when you are able to compare them against a current design that the shortcomings of 40 year old technology become apparent.

JBL & Tube = Audio Happiness

My own experience with tube amps relates to guitar amps only, I have two Fenders and a Marshall. I don’t play a solid state amp because they lack sensitivity and sound harsh. In stereo my concern is the slow degradation of tubes that occurs and the disappointment to find you’ve been listening to unbalanced signals for the past two years. Tubes are great, I would just want an oscilloscope in the audio path for verification. As a compromise I use a Conrad Johnson SS amp.

Have fun and enjoy your JBL’s

Obsolete
    But as Mr. Giskard said before he deleted his numerous posts “Simply put, if the B&W 804 didn't outperform a 45 year old design there'd be something wrong now wouldn't there?”
    I deleted my posts because instead of even trying to understand what I was saying you were posting really stupid shit in response. It has since been pointed out to me that you are a "troll". I said this statement was queer, especially for a second post - "Please don’t kick me off the forum, I love JBL’s, I just found it helpful to question my brand allegiance when it comes to my passion, listening to music." - I didn't say you were queer. I didn't call you pussy whipped either but you chose to take it that way. That's your call, not mine. I notice you did manage to understand one sentence I posted and use it to your advantage. This post I won't delete. Don will have to.

Bestsmurfs

I you were bothered by my Post....

I found a cool feature on this site where you can place members on an ignore list. That way you will not be subjected to reading their "stupid" comments and responses or be exposed to opinions that differ from your's. It seems like a good idea for some. I for one do not intend to use it as I feel that it is a benefit to hear the many varied opinions, especially from the experts on this site. Thanks,
    Dwight, JBL fan since 1968

ATTENTION!

Anybody what has me on their "Ignore" list should let me know immediately so's I might henceforth impugn them with impunity....
    Last edited by Zilch; 10-21-2004 at 11:00 AM.

Thread Information