Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NOS JBL - What would YOU do?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

NOS JBL - What would YOU do?

Hi all, I was looking for some advice and I think this might be the right forum for it.
    Hypothetically speaking, lets assume someone came across a few containers worth of NOS JBL parts and some speakers. They, in all probability would have been stored for the last few decades in a humidity controlled warehouse.

This lot may or may not include a pair eace of 4410A and 4430 NOS BNIB, multiple pieces of 2220H, 2225J,2226j,2402, 2426H, 2427J, many controls, all the way to a few pairs of LSR25Ps.

Assuming it happened, and said 'someone' was trying to find the best way to deal with the goods AND he wasn't based in the US but rather somewhere in Asia, would you.

1. look for a liquidator in the US, someone to buy the whole load off you
    2. Attempt to find someone in Japan to buy the whole lot
    3. Start an ebay shop to sell,
    4. Any other suggestions?

Given this hypothetical situation, would anyone have any advice as to how one might approach the situation?

Any advice much appreciated.

Keep iT !

Hi there,

I would keep it in Asia. There is nothing that special in the description . The items you have would have too much competition in the US to make it worth the shipping and duty charges.

Most of the items are for Pro applications. I would think about shipping to Africa or China, even Brazil.

Good luck , Rich

So, for your viewing pleasure scraped knees, a nasty bruise and lots of dust.

Im having fun.

and I found another pair of 4430s. but these have been opened and reboxed . but needs to be refoamed

so, any more ideas?

Bottom line, I aint trolling. Im a hifi guy, I run a full conrad johnson system with audio physics. I dont know the pro audio business.

still, an opportunity is an opportunity.

Im hoping this forum can help me get some ideas as to how to best handle it.

Thank you

Name:  IMG_0931.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  24.5 KBName:  IMG_0939.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  16.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images    

The plot thickens... He's calling us "mates," he must be an Aussie.

You've got a lot of stuff there, but I bet a lot more than just the 4430s will need refoamed. Some of the cone kits (C8R2245H for example) have foam surrounds that probably aren't in any better shape. A new 2245 cone kit will bring a couple hundred bucks, but that's with pristine foam. Putting new foam on it wouldn't bother some guys, to other guys it'd be a deal breaker.

If you're going to make the big bucks off this stuff, a full inventory with pics and an eBay store would be a start. If you wanted to invest some elbow grease, you could do pretty good in the Asian market I bet.

That Altec Lansing 904-8A is the control to a coaxial Altec driver, nice price just for the driver/control. If there's a pair in nice cabs, you could be looking at some $$ in the Asian market. There's a list of lots of JBL crossovers.

Quote Originally Posted by ragdolll View Post
    Bottom line, I aint trolling.
    So far all I have seen is a pile of boxes. If you want to offer anything for sale, boxes will need to be opened, and each part will need a couple of pictures. NOS 2225h from the 1980s might not be in perfect condition 25 years later. Heat, moisture, or just time, can have detrimental effects on components. Basically, before getting any cash sent your way, on top of pictures, people will also require credentials. Like at least a forum where you have made a few sales and feedback are 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    So far all I have seen is a pile of boxes. If you want to offer anything for sale, boxes will need to be opened, and each part will need a couple of pictures. NOS 2225h from the 1980s might not be in perfect condition 25 years later. Heat, moisture, or just time, can have detrimental effects on components. Basically, before getting any cash sent your way, on top of pictures, people will also require credentials. Like at least a forum where you have made a few sales and feedback are 100%.
    First off thank you for the kid gloves as far as the 'lets initiate the newbie' is concerned.

Its nice to see a friendly mature forum. I understand the questions. and I've been around the 'web' block a few times myself this is quite refreshing. It is actually quite a buzz to be able to create a situation where it does sound too good to be true and it actually is How rare is that? of course, some skeptics would still have their say. its cool.

Im not really selling with my posting here. I am honestly asking for advice. Of course if anyone is specifically looking for any parts, I am happy to make something happen.

I know what it takes to set up an ebay shop to sell, question is whether it would be worth it.

The photos represent less than 5% of what is available. Its all numbers and boxes which dont mean anything to me. My JBL list has over 10k items.

I am not out to convince anybody actually, I dont really need to move the stuff, and am happy to leave em there and move em slowly. However, there is a possibility that managment might just decide that it might be more worthwhile to clear up the space.

Fact is, if i can find someone to take 2 containers off my hands , I would be happy. I'm pretty sure that one would be hard pressed to find another lot like this anywhere else in the world.

So, if theres a community to whom this stuff would mean something to, I would like a way to move the stuff out rather than write them off.

Yes, its mysterious

First off thank you for the kid gloves as far as the 'lets initiate the newbie' is concerned.

Its nice to see a friendly mature forum. I understand the questions. and I've been around the 'web' block a few times myself this is quite refreshing. It is actually quite a buzz to be able to create a situation where it does sound too good to be true and it actually is How rare is that? of course, some skeptics would still have their say. its cool.

Im not really selling with my posting here. I am honestly asking for advice. Of course if anyone is specifically looking for any parts, I am happy to make something happen.

I know what it takes to set up an ebay shop to sell, question is whether it would be worth it.

The photos represent less than 5% of what is available. Its all numbers and boxes which dont mean anything to me. My JBL list has over 10k items.

I am not out to convince anybody actually, I dont really need to move the stuff, and am happy to leave em there and move em slowly. However, there is a possibility that managment might just decide that it might be more worthwhile to clear up the space.

Fact is, if i can find someone to take 2 containers off my hands , I would be happy. I'm pretty sure that one would be hard pressed to find another lot like this anywhere else in the world.

So, if theres a community to whom this stuff would mean something to, I would like a way to move the stuff out rather than write them off.

Yes, its mysterious
    More chum will be needed before I'll bite.
    Still waiting to see all the NOS.
    No one can advise you without a little bit more to go on.
    But I think you already knew that.
    I also think you just might be working the wrong crowd here.
    Just a feeling.
    I may be wrong, but I don't think so. If I am then I'll stand corrected.
    I like the "I just need your help 'cause I really don't know what it is I've got here" approach,
    (seems all the bankers, barristers and CEOs just need a little of my help to make all their (our) dreams come true)
    The ones that email me regularly anyway
    You obviously have internet access.
    Good luck with your efforts.

Thomas

It would appear you are referring to some dealer's or importer's warehouse that represents many years of accumulated product... unfortunately as has been mentioned, much of it will have to be repaired even if it is in sealed boxes as this stuff is decades old and some components simply rot. Since you are not being completely forthcoming, I'll assume you do not actually own this gear and are trying to broker a sale between who ever does own it and a possible new owner without actually putting your money down up front... a potentially lucrative gig if you pull it off, however, I think it is a long shot. You'd probably be better off being totally straight with the details and try to set up a commission deal with the actual owner(s).

Just my 2 cents... good luck.

Widget

PS: If there actually is a stash of 10K line items, an Indiana Jones warehouse shot would be fun to see.

So, for your viewing pleasure scraped knees, a nasty bruise and lots of dust.

Im having fun.

and I found another pair of 4430s. but these have been opened and reboxed . but needs to be refoamed

so, any more ideas?

Bottom line, I aint trolling. Im a hifi guy, I run a full conrad johnson system with audio physics. I dont know the pro audio business.

still, an opportunity is an opportunity.

Im hoping this forum can help me get some ideas as to how to best handle it.

Thank you

Name:  IMG_0931.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  24.5 KBName:  IMG_0939.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  16.4 KB
    After all that effort why no shots of the open boxes so all interested can see all that bad foam?

No money shots?

Eternally skeptical,

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    After all that effort why no shots of the open boxes so all interested can see all that bad foam?

No money shots?

Eternally skeptical,

Thomas
    Name:  IMG_0938.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  22.1 KB

always glad to oblige.

this is from the open 4430

I would assume that perhaps the "white van scam" has been replaced by a "white container scam" and that the parts are probably counterfeit parts, if they even exist.

About the "white van scam" for those who don't know.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speaker_scam

I Must Have It

Please Sir

I send you check for twice the amount requested.

You then cash check and send me extra funds packaged in container with parts.

I makee it worfth your while.

Thank You sirs.

I await your rapid response.

Oldmics-(Nigerian version)

Good one..........

Thread Information