Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DBX DriveRack 4800

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mctwins
    Hi
    What is this fuzz about hiss thing

I am running my M/T with McIntosh MC252 and for my subs two Crown MAi5000 and have no problem with hiss no matter where my volume knob is. My system is dead silence even if I use dbx260 in the signal chain.

There is alot of reason that can create hiss like power supply or bad interconnect or ground loop and so on....

Jonas.. with your new Crown amps and dbx4800 you will have a brand new system and with no hiss.

Thanks

JBL 4645
    Jonas_h

Why don't you make a video so we can hear the hiss first hand. I made a quick video because I had one idea I haven't yet tried.

Just curious about the DBX 4800. What is the current street price?

Hi Jonas;

When you are at maximum signal level input, almost clipping is where you want to be, not clipping, but almost. That is where the device is capable of delivering maximum signal to noise.

What is currently in you signal path?
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Hi Jonas;

When you are at maximum signal level input, almost clipping is where you want to be, not clipping, but almost. That is where the device is capable of delivering maximum signal to noise.

What is currently in you signal path?
    My path is Onkyo PR-SC5508 (surround processor, balanced outputs) -> DBX Driverack 4800 -> Crown CTs amps.

The gains on the amps are not set very high - I have read that Crown recommends setting them at 3/4 for best performance, so maybe they should be set higher for better performance?

Would it be a good idea to send pink noise from my processor set at 0dbFS and make sure, that the DBX is not clipping (but at "almost" clipping)? Of course with the amps turned off - otherwise I would go deaf

EDIT: The Crown gain comment edited.

Hi Jonas;

The region where the RTA is incapable of giving useful data is easily calculated. RTA is a usefull if somewhat limited tool and you have it so, at the very least you could use it to get the three haystacks balanced ie subs, bass and HF. If you don't mind sharing, what are your room dimensions?

This whole gain structure concept is just like a compound mechanical linkage system with movable levers and fulcrums. I don't know about anyone else but once I got my head wrapped around it in a way that made sense to me, it seems fairly intuitive.

If my understanding of the concept and the attempted explanation thereof is only confusing, please let me know.

I figure it's only knobs and it is easy to return them to where you were before if you're unhappy with the results.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Thread Information