Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: L200b

I have made these in the past, but no longer have the specs handy.

Basically all I need are the dimensions for the grille (L x W x thickness) - the pictures in the library show the cutting pattern of mutiple vertical grooves needed.

Still trying to get moved however - any volunteer helpers????
    40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

majick47

Foam Grills

Sonofagun when I get home this evening I'll measure the original JBL aluminum screens that came with my L200b cabinets. I also have a set of excellent black cloth grills with wood frames but after seeing the pictures of your foam grills the most difficult choice would be which color, I'm strongly leaning towards the JBL blue and second choice would be the tan/brown. Looking back at your prior posts the price appeared to be $110 shipped, please advise if that is the correct amount and your current mailing info since you said you are in the process of moving.

majick47

JBL Badges

The foam grills that SONOFAGUN sells would not be complete unless they have the original JBL badges to install on my L200b. I have seen JBL badges pictured on Ebay and was wondering how they were attached to the foam grills? Also does any board member have a spare set for sale?

$150 pair - same address - brown or blue. Badges can be attached in several ways - glue, velcro, posts.

majick47

L200b Foam Grills

I measured my original OEM/JBL metal screens that still have the dried out glue from where the factory glued on the foam. The dimensions of the metal grills are 22 1/4" wide, 28 1/2" long, the thickness of the foam is a minimum of 1 1/4" to 1 1/3" which should bring the foam level with the edge of the front frame of the cabinets. It's difficult to tell the depth from the original catalog photos but it appears to be level with edge of the front cabinet frame. Also if SONOFAGUN can make the foam grills with the multiple veritical grooves that would be terrific. I just got some original JBL badges that will make the grills look 100% original. Still havn't decided on the color yet, blue, brown or orange.

Thanks for dimensions - $150 pair in original striped design, brown, black, or blue only.

As I recall the foam on the L200s was very thin, maybe 1/2" thick. I also thought the frames were made of wood.

Widget

majick47

L200B Grill Frames

Mr. Widget the aluminum screens came with my first set f L200B cabinets,best I can tell they are original equipment other then the foam grill disintergrated long ago with only the dried glue left on the creens. They appear to be standard window screens. I'll look at the JBL catalog photos again to check the depth of the foam grills.

Those are not original. Many people have discovered that a standard window frame can be used as "replacement" grille. I have seen several sold on eBay with window screens. The originals are built up of wood and come almost all the way to the front lip of the enclosure with openings that correspond to the two side vents.

Widget
    Last edited by Mr. Widget; 10-20-2004 at 07:07 PM.

majick47

L200B Grills

Mr. Widget I'll take your word for it that the aluminum screens are not original. I also have another set of grills that came with the second set of cabinets, these are black wood frames with black cloth and are in excellent condition. Hate to mess with these and will probably make copies of the wood frames and cover them with screening material and then attach the foam. I looked at a few photos of the L200b foam grills and my "guess" is that the foam might of been about 1" thick to allow enough foam material for the multiple vertical grooves.

They did make them with screens too. My friend had a pair of L200's and the foam was glued to what essentially was a window screen. They also made L88's grille covers that way.

Rob
    Last edited by Robh3606; 10-21-2004 at 04:57 AM.

I have a pair of L200 cabs with what appear to be original screeens for the grill, foam long gone. I built new wood frames.

My only firsthand recollection of the foam grilles is from '79-'80. I remember being surprised at how thin the L200 foam was. The L100 foam was considerably thicker. I recall a black painted wood frame with sheer cloth similar to the L100s and the foam was stuck to the cloth. It may have been attached with velcro but I can't be sure.

Widget

L200B

I picked up a pair a while ago from a guy that bought them from the daughter of the origanal owner which was her dad. When he died she became the new custodian of the jbl,s and sold them to the fellow i bought them from. They also have the screens with the spots of dried glue jbl used to attach the foam grill. I have seen a few other pairs over the last 5 years and they all had the same setup.

majick47

L200b Foam Grills

Re the L200b foam grills and grill frames I appreciate all the responses and hope to restore my grills as close as possible to the original design. As to the depth of the foam it might have to be left to SONOFAGUNS judgement to make the foam as thin as possible and still allow enough for the vertical grooves. After studying pictures of the L200/L200b and measuring my cabinets grill frame 1" or less appears to be the original depth of the foam. I'm going to hold off a little longer to see if by chance an original set of foam grills survived and measurements can be taken of the depth.

Thread Information