Page 36 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Performance Series

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Too bad they went away quietly muttering to themselves... "He's just one of those JBL nuts."

Oh well... we know you are right. I guess that's all that matters.

Widget
    I became a JBL man the first time I heard a Paragon, when I was 18 or 19.

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    the Ascends are speaker wanta-be's ( IMHO) .

Polk's are really good speakers, I like their sound

I agree, I turned on an old Army buddy to Polks a couple of years ago. He wanted to buy a HT system for his wife's birthday, but he didn't want to spend the amount of money it would take to buy the PS. I told him "no matter what, make sure the main L/R speakers were the Polk towers, so they could also do music and would be better at doing ht anyway."

When my neighbor first moved in he had a Polk ht system, but all the speakers were the small ones. When he first heard my 7 L212s and the sub1500s, at the very beginning of a James Bond movie, his comment was, "now I know the difference between small speakers and large ones."
    Shortly after he sold off his entire ht, except the rptv.

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Of course, that's another thing that gets me going: some moron who'll say the JBLs are not as good as his Ascends, but the frickin' Ascends he's referring to cost 40% more.
    Ok, but are the Ascends as good as the K2? I only ask, because I've never heard either.

Wink I have, and SURPRISE!

Quote Originally Posted by MJC
    Ok, but are the Ascends as good as the K2? I only ask, because I've never heard either.
    The best speaker Ascend ever dreamed of making couldn't sniff the emanations of the rear port of either K2 model. In fact, it couldn't sniff the emanations of my rear port, either.
    Out.

I became a JBL man the first time I heard a Paragon, when I was 18 or 19.
    That's not how I became a man.

Oh, oh, I see: JBL man.
    Last edited by Titanium Dome; 08-05-2005 at 05:39 PM. Reason: extra tongue
    Out.

Each in its way

the Ascends are speaker wanta-be's ( IMHO) .

Polk's are really good speakers, I like their sound

They're all pretty good speakers within their design goals. I've heard some pretty good Polks and some good Ascends and Paradigms. I've heard Infinity speakers that were gorgeous and some that were grotesque.

Of course, being in the Harman family, I'm sure the Infinity brand went through some testing times just like JBL. There are a couple of classic Infinity speakers I wouldn't mind having.

But now with the Performance Series, I have what I want, so I'm less inclined to wander.
    Out.

. When he first heard my 7 L212s and the sub1500s, at the very beginning of a James Bond movie, his comment was, "now I know the difference between small speakers and large ones."
    Shortly after he sold off his entire ht, except the rptv.
    God I love that kind of talk.

Yes, BIG BOY speakers do sound better..period ( when their JBL's ) In SOME things size really does matter...

Thumbs up HT night

Last night we had three other couples over for pizza and a movie night.

I recalibrated the CRT PJ earlier in the week, so it was spot on. We cleaned the house from top to bottom. (Yay!) I checked the channel trim and speaker calibrations. I bought an Emmylou Harris DVD-A for ambience. We brought up some sodas, beer, wine, and Sambuca. I hosed off the deck and furniture.

Ready!!

We ordered three big, gourment pizzas from Buonos in San Pedro to be delivered at 7:30 and waited for the guests. They all arrived on time! In CA!

We talked, ate, drank, listened to Emmylou in six-channel 192/24 in the background. Sweet. "Those speakers sound really good." Yep. "I've never seen anything like them. What are they?" JBL. "Really. They sound better than my uncle's speakers and he's a real hi-fi nut. He spent like 15 grand apiece on them." Uh-huh.

Finally, it's movie time. Everyone wants to see Winged Migration, not exactly a HT showpiece, but a very watchable documentary. Everyone's seated, PJ on, DVD loaded, lights off, volume surreptitiuosly boosted to -13.

Birds in surround. "My god, it sounds like they're in the room." "I feel like I'm outside." "Listen to those feathers ruffle, that beak click." "Is there a fly buzzing--oh, there it is! (on the screen) I thought it was buzzing my head."

After the avalanche scene: "Is this like Imax? It sounds just like Imax. My chair was moving. I could feel that in my toes."

Later: "Jeez, listen to those waves. It's deafening. The wind is howling. It's so darn real."

When the geese are shot unexpectedly by hunters: "OH MIGOD!! That scared me. I thought someone shot at the house! I hate gunfire!" The group's hunter responds: "It sounds just like my hunting gun. When's duck season?" Smirk.

Anyway, at the end, everyone enjoyed the flick, hugs all around, bye-bye, thanks so much, and

"Man you're lucky. That's the best movie experience I've ever had. Now I have to go home to my POS system. Gee, thanks."

"Thanks Dxxx. When can we come back? I'd like to hear Lord of the Rings on that system. I'll bet it sounds the way it's supposed to." Yes, it does.

And finally, "Thank you so much. I felt so close to those birds; it was like I was right there. When we watch movies at home or in the theater it's always real loud--boom, boom, boom--but it's never real. That was so REAL, like I was right there with them, hearing every sound along the way. The music was great, too. I loved it. I think Trevor and I need to look for some JBLs. Can you email us some info." You bet your sweet a...er, yes.

I love listening to these speakers. I love it even more when other people appreciate them so much and can tell the kind of special moment they're having because the speakers get out of the way and let the sound come to them. These Performance Series babes are great, even when it's only birds.

Huikyong, my GF, said, "That was wonderful. Let's do that again. Everyone was so impressed with OUR system."

Yeah, our system.
    Out.

MJC
    Huikyong, my GF, said, "That was wonderful. Let's do that again. Everyone was so impressed with OUR system."

Yeah, our system.
    Consider yourshelf lucky, you have the exact system you want, and your GF thinks of them as her's as well.

I've lost count how many wimps I've seen post to one forum or another about how they had to SETTLE for something less than they wanted. Just because their wife didn't want large speakers or didn't want to SEE the speakers. They appearently didn't have enough of a backbone to tell the bitch, this is what I'm getting, and that is that.

As it was when I bought my L212s, and they have been around for over a 1/4 of century. Twice as long as the ex. I should have bought the 250Ti as well.

Wink Oh yeah

Consider yourshelf lucky, you have the exact system you want, and your GF thinks of them as her's as well.
    It ain't bad, that's for sure.

I've lost count how many wimps I've seen post to one forum or another about how they had to SETTLE for something less than they wanted. Just because their wife didn't want large speakers or didn't want to SEE the speakers. They appearently didn't have enough of a backbone to tell the bitch, this is what I'm getting, and that is that.
    Yeah, I read that a lot. "She lets me..." or "She didn't like it so I had to..."
    OTOH, I got such a super deal on the first 5.1 portion of the Performance Series because some guy's wife in upper NY said, "Not in my house." So I'm not really complaining!

As it was when I bought my L212s, and they have been around for over a 1/4 of century. Twice as long as the ex. I should have bought the 250Ti as well.
    I was married for 28 years. That was eighteen good years, then the kids were gone...and in came the L7s, the LD player, the first projector, and the trouble began. (I had the L100s before I met her, so they got "grandfathered" in as long as they didn't play too loud.)

followed by followed by followed by
    Out.

Of course we must look at the full picture here. They're NOT married.....

Somewhere I believe I read where she wasn't too happy about all that wiring testing

But seriously, it is nice when there's not a lot of hassel about this. I'm not married but live with someone so I pretty much get my way (with speakers that is.. it's MY money after all) and we have an agreement about which room is MINE...( altho I HEAR about in a passive/agressive manner)

I was thinking about this thread the other day and the fact that it's reached so many posts and really insome ways it's just getting started...Dome's got the Wire Test of the Century coming up. I'll be doing C.C.N and other things and then there's Mikebake..... By the way, what happened to him..last we heard ( July 2th)....

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake
    It'll be awhile; big backyard party weekend. 200 guests, big tent, live band on stage, chicken BBQ, beer trailer, big fireworks show a block away, then Star Wars episode one on the outdoor movie screen. Then, decompress.
    Damn Mike if it takes a month to decompress from one of your parties, they must REALLY be good ones

anyway, this thread is starting to remind me of the proverbial "FLOATER TURD", somehow it just keeps floating to the top.

MJC
    It ain't bad, that's for sure.
    Yeah, I read that a lot. "She lets me..." or "She didn't like it so I had to..."
    OTOH, I got such a super deal on the first 5.1 portion of the Performance Series because some guy's wife in upper NY said, "Not in my house." So I'm not really complaining!
    I sure would like to find a deal like that for the PS. But it looks like I'll have to chomp on the $1050/speaker on the online store.

Considering inflation over the last 1/4 century, that's still a lot cheaper (per speaker) than the $1500 I paid for the L212/B212, BUT instead of buying three speakers, now its seven.

I'm not going to buy the subs, got 5 already. That's why I was asking about the stands a couple of days ago. And I probably won't get the PT600 either, being I like having LCRs across the front, as I do now. And the PT800 is roughly the same size as the L212 so I know it will fit below(and out front) of the screen.

Of course we must look at the full picture here. They're NOT married.....
    Key point, my friend, key point. This time I can take it all with me if need be.

Somewhere I believe I read where she wasn't too happy about all that wiring testing
    Well, had to put the wires away for the small gathering, and haven't gotten them back out. Trying to make the weekend a good one for her.

I was thinking about this thread the other day and the fact that it's reached so many posts and really insome ways it's just getting started...Dome's got the Wire Test of the Century coming up. I'll be doing C.C.N and other things and then there's Mikebake..... By the way, what happened to him..
    Yes, even on the stock side of the discussion, there's so much we don't know yet.

anyway, this thread is starting to remind me of the proverbial "FLOATER TURD", somehow it just keeps floating to the top.
    Dammit! Now I'll be watching Caddyshack tonight.
    Out.

I'm not going to buy the subs, got 5 already. That's why I was asking about the stands a couple of days ago. And I probably won't get the PT600 either, being I like having .
    what type of sub's do you have? ( I may have missed this earlier)

I'm still alive; haven't hooked the PT800's up yet since getting them back from Giskard. Still awaiting the sub cabs.
    Been busy with the big movie screen; did a big cruise-in thingie in Detroit at Biker Bobs Harley Davidson. JBL rocked the joint, I tell ya.
    Also did a backyard party at a doctors 7400 sq ft pad, complete with pond, pool, fish pond, waterfalls, multi-decks, etc. He stood on a private balcony off his bedroom, with a buddy, smoking a big see-gar and just staring at the Eagles live DVD in front of him on the lawn. We rocked the neighborhood pretty good; good 'ol 4560's!
    Next up I used it for live stage video in a crowd of about 5-6000 for Jefferson Starship; the screen saved the show, as 60% of the crowd couldn't see the stage!
    Friday night, another backyard BBQ, Sat. a big car cruise-in (and I fire up the FM transmitter, too), and then vacation..........Travers City, Mackinac Island (The Iroquois), then the UP for Pictured Rocks. Throw in a couple of jaunts of motorcycle trail riding, a lil' jet ski, a hideously $ meal or two, and then.............five more big screen dates! Two on the top of the parking garage, one at the fair, a few in the parks..........and then it's back to school time! THEN I might get the 800/600 fired up. Getting the HT sorted out is the fall project. Might buy another small indoor projector. Suggestions for a cheaper one?

Thread Information