Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4505 Wx

Yup,

That seems to be them. I think I'll add the 2402H's and 3106's and crank 'em up. Gotta decide what I wanna keep here.

Re: Yup,

Originally posted by Zilch
    Gotta decide what I wanna keep here.
    Just how many sets of speakers do you have???

Widget

Re: Re: Yup,

Originally posted by Mr. Widget
    Just how many sets of speakers do you have???
    I was THINKIN' maybe one too many.

Which means I gotta "improve" it to dissipate that anomalous cognition.

You know the drill....

Continued....

4505wx / 4320 and upgrading to 3way

I just bought a set of these 4505/4320 speakers on ebay and will be bringing them home soon (got delayed by the East Coast snowstorm). I read your posts on your project from Nov 2004 - Jan 2005 - but I'm wondering what happened with the project.
    Did you finish upgrading them to L300 equivalents?
    I'd be interested in your comments on the sound?

As you see in the Q&D 4430 thread, I've been diverted doing two-ways in the meantime.

HOWEVER, 2235H's are at the reconer for these boxes, and I hope to get back on them in the next month or so.

Your 4320's will already come with the right woofer, no?

The problem is getting the longer 800 Hz HL92 horn into the box....

4320/4505 and upgrading to 3 ways

Of course, being somewhat cynical by nature I can't tell you the specifics of the speakers until I have time to open them up, but the woofer does appear to have a rounded surrounded, rather than the accordian-pleat surround used on the woofers of the 4312A I had once..
    I can't tell the length of the horn until I open the box - but don't the 4320 and L200 have pretty much the same horn? (2307 vs 2312)?
    The spec sheets for both say the box depth is right around 23 inches
    From the upgrade threads I've right here in the forums, it seems like I'd do well to find a pair of 2405/077 slot tweeters.
    But I'm a bit confused. Some of them look to have a "dark" wedge in the slot, and some look to have a glass or lucite(?) wedge - what are the differences between the two? Is there much of a sonic difference?
    Maybe I should get a pair of the L200 (early style) boxes - they look a bit more living room friendly than the spartan look of the 4505 WX cabinets - and the dimensions seem very similar - tho I noticed the 4505 boxes are 3/4 inch plywood and I gather the L200 boxes are the usual veneered composite board. Any thoughts on that?
    Thanks for all the info you folks share here - its fantastic!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by hjames
    But I'm a bit confused. Some of them look to have a "dark" wedge in the slot, and some look to have a glass or lucite(?) wedge - what are the differences between the two? Is there much of a sonic difference?
    Thanks for all the info you folks share here - its fantastic!
    "Dark" wedge is the pro-version 2405 while "lucite" wedge is consumer 077 version. The clear wedges tend to get more $$$ on epay sales but from what I've read, more prone to break the wedge if over tightened. Should sound the same and there is probably more variation between individual units than which of the two types of units are employed

Of course, being somewhat cynical by nature I can't tell you the specifics of the speakers until I have time to open them up, but the woofer does appear to have a rounded surrounded, rather than the accordian-pleat surround used on the woofers of the 4312A I had once.
    From that pic, it looks like you have the right woofer, 2231 (I believe, maybe refoamed 2215).
    I can't tell the length of the horn until I open the box - but don't the 4320 and L200 have pretty much the same horn? (2307 vs 2312)?
    Yup, and that's a bit of a problem. 2307 doesn't play as well down to 800 Hz as 2312. The question is whether you can fit 2312 in that box without punching out the rear. I'm not advocating that, certainly. You'll have to measure to see if it will fit. 2312 is required for L300 MF performance, if that's what you're looking for.

You can see the cutout for the UHF driver. It's on the left of both of my cabinets, i.e., they are not mirror imaged. No matter, vertical inline in the space above the MF driver is a better location, anyway. It's a simple holesaw operation to get it there.

Regarding LR friendliness of these boxes vs L200, it's a matter of taste, mostly, but the L200 baffles are also tilted back. You need to asess where these will be sitting with respect to your listening position. The 2405 becomes quite narrow in its vertical dispersion at the highest frequencies (above 10 kHz,) and needs to be "aimed" if you care about that, which means either the 4505 might be aimed too low (a plinth will solve that) or the L200 too high, or maybe, just right.

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2405.pdf

It also narrows in the horizontal, but that's less of an issue. Work out the geometry for your proposed listening space as part of the cabinet decision process, is what I'm saying. We know for fact that 2312 will not fit in L200 cabinets.

Me? I'm now thinking I might cut 2407H on PT-F95 or OASR into mine, having heard it used as a tweeter on 3105 crossover a couple of days ago. I'll try it outboard first. It blended well with 2370A, and sounded much better than the traditional ring radiators. Maybe the same here.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...7&postcount=97

[This thread belongs in DIY now.... ]

Thread Information