Thread: "Baby S22" (with a bright future)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    lfh

Status report

Meanwhile I've acquired lots of goodies: The aforementioned 2403s and 2214s, an M552, a pair of 2311s and - dig this - a pair of 2397s! Giskard suggested in another thread that I should consider using LE14s, and that kept me busy for some days (reading up on existing applications and playing around with alignments in the computer). That seems to be a viable option indeed, but then I might as well step up to a 15 in. Furthermore, given the 2397s, larger drivers are almost necessary for aesthetical reasons...

Compare this (2214):
    Attached Images Attached Images  

lfh
    To this (2231):
    Attached Images Attached Images  

lfh

Project "Eastlake"

I've had a pair of fine 2231s (purchased from Pangea) in storage for some time, intended for another project. However, I've finally decided they are put to better use here, so 2231s it's going to be, even though this is a departure from the original intention of building compact speakers... Oh, well. Thus, the revised specification is as follows (skipping the S22-step):

Stage 1 - "(Baby) Eastlake"

2231H + 2441/2328/2397 + 2403 + M552 + (passive xover)

The biased 3107 and 3155-equivalent without autoformers will serve as starting points for the passive filter design.

I have a decent power amp to drive the basses, but I need a good amp for the highs. I think (given my typically low listening levels and the high sensitivity of the compression drivers plus horns) a low noise class-A design is the only option. First on my lists of candidates to analyze is the Penultimate Zen (the final single ended verison with feedback) by Nelson Pass. Did anyone try this fine little amp in such an application? (Ian?)

Thread Information