Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Turntables , Vinyl , Welcome back!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

vinyl vs cd

we do disco parties on a hifi system and we noticed that if we "record,rip whatever the term is now" the vinyl onto cd quality 44k16bit wav we are unable to tell the difference between vinyl/digital rip . but if we play the 12" vinyl vs distributed media copy cd vs vinyl we can easily tell the difference and that is true for multiple editions of cd presses
    we even have 12" records RE-mastered and it dont sound the same as the original pressing
    it must have something to do with the cd mastering and loudness contour...... dynamic range compression and sales of the cd media
    after much experimentation we now use only original pressing 12 inch vinyl on a technics 1200mk5g with at vm740ml cart and it yields fantastic results vs cd of any flavor .

our system is a 5 way JBL system powered by CROWN iHD

Arm cable anchor

This is the boy for anchoring the arm cable. Mount it under the plexiglass but you must find a position where the cable does not foul any structural parts of the deck. The suspension has to be able to move freely.
    Check this is ok before you zip up the tie fully. Tip : in the first instance tighten the tie only so much that it holds the cable but you can still adjust it for final position..

Name:  cable tie base.jpg
Views: 3982
Size:  24.7 KB

DISCOGS In Association With Audio-Technica Presents "Crate Diggers" Record Fair NYC Sat. July 27th

https://www.analogplanet.com/content...-sat-july-27th
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

"They are geniuses when it comes to rebuilding cartridges..."

Hey MAC ...

I can get a brand new O.D. dustcover (in oracle box, packed) for a good deal , but NO hinges... here is a pic of what they shud look like ... do you have anything close ??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Seawolf,

As I mentioned elsewhere.

A Recent (Jan. 3, 2020) newspaper article I kept regarding media or support used to consume music has some interesting elements. I would think the trends mentioned here are probably similar in other comparable countries.

The British Phonographic Industry (BPI) has just released its official 2019 numbers on this matter. This is right after the USA equivalent group indicated music streaming represented 80% of the market. For Britain streaming had a 74.4% market share, so a little less than the US, final Canadian numbers were not out yet, but mid-year stats indicated streaming had 79% market share.

To calculate music sales, the album equivalent formula is used all over the world they say. Roughly, 1000 listenings are equivalent to the purchase of one physical album.

In most countries, album downloads are again on the decline. In the UK the CD format is down 26.5%, and now has 15% of total music sales. As for vinyl records, the BPI notes sales have increased for a 12th year in a row with + 4.1% vs 2018. Not a big increase but still. The 4.3 million LP records sold in the UK represent 12.5% of all records sold. At the top of the British chart is an LP record with 29,000 copies sold! Far from the millions of copies from the golden age of LPs isn't it.

The icing on the cake: music on tape. BPI says sales of cassettes increased for a 7th year!! with 88,404 units sold, but representing only a minuscule 0.1% of total sales. Almost the black sheep in the herd that just doesn't want to die out...

Note the percentages above add to a little more than 100%, presumably because of rounded numbers effect, but what's more important in my view is the relative share of each and the definite trends of music consumption...

These are the facts, comments will follow in an up-coming post avoiding a too long one here, plus gotta go now. Regards,

Richard

Vinyl remains the best..... this is my prime VPI equipped with Lyra Clavis DC. The components of my plant are all shelf mounted on marble slabs anchored to the master wall of the house.

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  83.7 KBName:  10.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  47.6 KB

Interior of BBC Broadcasting House in 1932.

Name:  Interior of BBC Broadcasting House in 1932..jpg
Views: 594
Size:  80.6 KB
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Where’s the Technics Direct Direct TT.

Wrong Century?

That is so beautiful!
    Thanks for sharing this image!

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    That is so beautiful!
    Thanks for sharing this image!

Widget
    I wonder if the outboard machines are sixteen inch transcription disk tables. I think it would be a safe assumption that everything was UK made.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Odd,

Thanks for showing, haven't seen this TT before. Well, it looks sexy, but it appears to come with a cheap Audio Technica cartridge, low cost push controls on front, as well as a S shape tonearm, for $1,346.!! Can't believe this.

Must be quite fat margins on this thing, paying for the name... No thanks for me, i'll keep mine also Direct Drive, better made, better arm and cart, for a fraction of that cost... Regards,

Richard