Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL 2397 Curves

Alex Lancaster
    Widget: the 2311 is 2".

Yeah sure, whatever...

OK, so I wasn't paying attention. I would be interested in measuring one of those in comparison to the 2397.

If anyone could send me one with lens, (I bet I could borrow a lens locally) and the 2311 is a stubby little fellow so shipping wouldn't be much, I would be happy to run some curves of it. I could even do it with different baffle sizes to see the baffle effect.

Widget

Steve Gonzales

UHF crossover point

What is the suggested x-over point to the UHF driver. It seems that both the 2440 & 2441 have significant output well past the minimum x-over point of the 076 & 077 I would use. I realize that JBL made the N7000 and N8000's for this very application but due to my lack of knowledge, I can't help but wonder if using either a staggered (overlapped) x-over point or a custom 9-10k x-over point would allow use of the mid's substantial output past the typical 5-8k points and not waste that useable energy. Is there a dispersion problem or any other factors that prohibit this?

Local 2308

In name of science you can get one of my 2308 for the plotting.

Fred.

I've got a spare 2311.

David

Horn measurin'

Party!!!!

Alex Lancaster
    Widget: ?

Excellent! Dave bring it by or ship it if you can't make it. Fred, I still have some of your Belgian beers, let's party.

Widget

Thanks Widget

Some interesting plots Widgy. Made an attempt at doing a quick and dirty test of adding the 2405's to my Westlakes but failed. I tried using the HRX crossover up to 4.5k then crossing to the Ashly XR 1001 in 2 channel mode. I set a xover point of 8k and fed the lows to the 2426 on the small horns and the high side to the 2405's. The high side sounded fine but the low side was dead for reasons unknown (could be the XLR cables I picked up are wired opposite). I did not have time to trace before going on a business trip. We are def off now till Jan 15th so will try again today or tomorrow.

Ken

lfh
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    If anyone could send me one with lens, (I bet I could borrow a lens locally) and the 2311 is a stubby little fellow so shipping wouldn't be much, I would be happy to run some curves of it. I could even do it with different baffle sizes to see the baffle effect.
    Wow, this is getting better and better! If you have the time, I think it would be extremely interesting to get measurements also without baffle and lens, as well as with baffle but no lens (at 0, 30 and 60 deg if possible...). All "in the name of science"!

I know that the 2311 needs the baffle - at least 12 in x 12 in according to the data sheet (BTW, I wonder how many guys that have used this exact size and put the horn in the middle ) and lens to function as intended, but the other day I listened to one without those and - not surprisingly - it sounded like the horn hater's worst nightmare. It would be interesting to see those curves...

Widget, this is too cool! Once you have a 2311/2308/2441 mounted on a baffle and measured, can you do an overlay on your 2397/Westlake graph?

Goes back to earlier PM's I had wth you. BTW: Can you measure harmonic distortion as well, or am I dreaming?

Quote Originally Posted by Chas
    BTW: Can you measure harmonic distortion as well, or am I dreaming?
    Yep. It will do 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion in the Lite version that I currently have. If/when I spring for the whole package it will do up to 5th harmonic.

Quote Originally Posted by lfh
    If you have the time, I think it would be extremely interesting to get measurements also without baffle and lens, as well as with baffle but no lens (at 0, 30 and 60 deg if possible...). All "in the name of science"!
    Well we will see. It is all possible given enough time.

I was just measuring my test amp. (an old Kenwood integrated) It was flat to 10KHz and down 0.10dB at 20KHz. Fun stuff. I measured it's second and third harmonic distortion too, but it is displayed in dB. I have the current version which is 6.5. Version 7 which was shown at the AES convention and should be out early in the year does distortion and linearity analysis and plots THD. It will also do wow and flutter analysis as well as a bunch of other tests. I might have to check out my old Oracle TT when V. 7 comes out.

Widget

JustBuildLspkAS

Talking Hello Everybody

Hello Everybody.
    I'm newface new JBLsfan and new member from Thailand.

Thank you for many nice plots.....Waiting next plots

My system now.........Please check out my attatched pics.
    4xLE15 (16Ohms).... with 7ft3 closed box and couple with 4 JBL passive radiators(still waiting 2nd pair of 2290s ....now I use D140Fs like the passive radiators)
    2xLE85+H91
    2x2405(0.2uF PP Cap in series the 2405s as super tweeter and parallel with LE85)
    2x3110 ...800Hz Crossover

For my smallroom (11x 17 x 8 ft) these speaker can play lound with my DIY 2A3SE amp.

I planned to buy 2440+2328+2397 from my friend(I heared already and prefered them) and I'll have single 2441 soon.

I have a pair 2328 and for 2441 I'ld like tried to build 2397's copy by realwood(TEAK or redwood) ,
    Everybody ,If you have some idea Please advise mee too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JustBuildLspkAS; 05-25-2006 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Additional file

lfh

Welcome

Hello and welcome!

I think you have a very cool system and that you'll be pleased by the 2441/2397 combo.

In my current setup (active crossover @ 1.2 kHz, paired with 2405s with passive crossover @ 10 kHz) they have a "magnetic" effect on me: It's hard to stop listening!

As has been pointed out before in the forum, the wide horizontal dispersion may call for strategically positioned absorbers in a small room where otherwise reflected sound from the side walls could hurt the performance. Also the general rule of not running the horn too low in frequency applies of course, and Mr. Widget's measurements provide valuable info in this respect. As to tweeters, the 2405s you already have are a very good complement reflecting their polar characteristics that matches that of the 2397s, which yields a decent power response and a large sweet spot.

Regards,
    Fredrik
    Stockholm

Welcome,
    That is quite a setup in your picture. Building your own 2397 is a worthy project. I am just finishing up a pair myself.
    This thread has a dimensional drawing of the horn.
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=5114
    Try doing a search on 2397 for some of the construction techniques that have been used.

Thread Information