Quote Originally Posted by sebackman View Post
Dear David,

I look to be a fine piece of equipment and if it sounds good to you it does.
Using different gear may produce a different sound which by it selves does not imply that your or the alternative gear is better or worse. All gear alters the signal in way or the other, the trick is to find an “alteration” that suits your ears. -And that may or may not be the combination of gear with the overall lowest sound alteration/coloration. J The important piece is that you like the sound your combination of gear produces.

If you are open to alternative information, first of all I would check that your USB sound card (DAC) is true asynchronous, it is not possible to read from the web page. Info on the implication can be found here.
http://www.audioresearch.com/ContentsFiles/DAC8_white_paper.pdf
http://www.hifi-advice.com/USB-synchronous-asynchronous-info.html

I my experience when using a reasonable computer (not esoteric high-tech dedicated) the asynchronous protocol does make a difference. -More than any of my DAC’s. I personally cannot attribute noticeable sound deterioration to any of the DAC’s I have if the rest of the chain is correct. Not by listening or measuring. I do happen to have digital out from some of my DSP’s, both SPDIF, DSD and BLU-LINK and I cannot hear a difference with by just changing the DAC chip. Sorry. (Digitalout and separate DAC). However, I’m not saying that others cannot.

My recipeis as Einstein said; “keep it as simple as possible, but not simpler” . J

Get a good asynchronous sound card with XO clock and a good digital out. Set the computer to output native format. Feed your DSP digital signal (or analogue) and use the analog outs in the DSP. If your DSP does have clock input or output do connect the sound card and DSP to share the clock and turn of the SRC.

My favorite right now, as I’m using only BSS DSP, is new nice little device from BSS called BLU-USB. It is an asynchronous sound card that feed the BSS DSP with a proprietary digital signal (BLU-LINK) but the neat thing is that there are now SRC’s anywhere and the BLU-USB uses the clock in the DSP so they are always paced. Signal path is short and sweet. But that is for a different post.

Kindregards
//Rob
This is an old thread, but hoping it can be made active

You mention that with the BLU-USB you can disable SRC anywhere... But on my BLU160 you are forced to select either 48khz or 96khz in the configuration. Isn't it a requirement for BLU-link that all devices are set to the same sampling rate? So what happens if you play a 96khz file on your computer? And then right after a 48khz file? (Or a 44.1 for that matter). Won't it be re-sampled to whatever sampling rate you have chosen in the BSS? The clock will be shared though which is a good thing, but I can't see how you can bypass SRC?

EDIT: I will hopefully soon be able to use Dante and the question above is very relevant to me.