Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rack Preamp Options

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I've been a long time reader here. BMWCCA, the reason I have a crown PS is due to your appreciation of them). I would really like to stick with a crown pre for a matching pair but I don't want to break the bank(yet lol). Right now, there is a Bryston BP20 going pretty cheap. Cheaper than the PSL. Would that be considered an upgrade sonically? The MSRP on those thugs is staggering.

Quote Originally Posted by 58crewchief View Post
    Right now, there is a Bryston BP20 going pretty cheap. Cheaper than the PSL. Would that be considered an upgrade sonically? The MSRP on those thugs is staggering.
    If that's the one in NM with 36-hours left on Ebay, don't count chickens until the last five-minutes!

Remember, the Crown Straight Line Two is essentially the same pre-amp as the PSL-2. I have one of each and the only difference I know of is the later PSL-2 labels one aux input as CD. The SL is sometimes cheaper, and the satin-finish silver is generally cheaper than the black.

Good luck!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thank you for the help! I really appreciate it.
    I'm an old analog person that tried to stay that way for too long. When I saw the first digital mixing consoles while on tour, they scared the crap out of me. You have to remember that this was way before the modern cell phones we now carry. I saw the automated faders and a show mix itself thinking it would replace me even before I could understand it.
    I now feel it's exciting yet I'm always playing catch up. The current DSP inside of the amps blows me away with the capability available.

Yeeaaaahh, about that auction site. Lol. As a fun experiment and also because my basement flooded, I decided to disassemble my downstairs system and set up my AU-717 with rack handles as a preamp upstairs with the Crown. Garbage. That's all I can say. Muddy, bloated sound. Like those old cassette tapes my dad recorded in the 1970's. I'm a little surprised though because the Sansui AU-7700 as a the pre in that system was wonderful. Hmm. It looked good though...

Quote Originally Posted by 58crewchief View Post
    Yeeaaaahh, about that auction site. Lol. As a fun experiment and also because my basement flooded, I decided to disassemble my downstairs system and set up my AU-717 with rack handles as a preamp upstairs with the Crown. Garbage. That's all I can say. Muddy, bloated sound. Like those old cassette tapes my dad recorded in the 1970's. I'm a little surprised though because the Sansui AU-7700 as a the pre in that system was wonderful. Hmm. It looked good though...
    Right, I owned a AU7900 for a long time and also the 717. The preamp section of the older Sansuis are much better than the xxx models. Look art the schematics and you know why.

Hjalmar

I wonder what year this Denon was released?
    I had run my system with optical cable before using the older Kenwood. Something failed and it started cutting out. I was forced to change connection method and wasn't happy with the results. So I upgraded at that time to the Yamaha.

With recent Denon AVRs it's easy to know the approximate date of manufacture. The last two numbers of the model number indicate it's model year. Yours was widely available in 2013 if I'm not mistaken.

If that's the one in NM with 36-hours left on Ebay, don't count chickens until the last five-minutes!

I thought I could ask here instead of a brand new duplicate type post.
    I just got some of the JBL 500 series speakers to add to my house system. They seem to like better power than my Yamaha RX685 puts out. I connected them to my older Kenwood system and they rock but there's no HDMI inputs on that one.
    I'm looking at the Denon line of 7.2 surround sound receivers. I noticed they have a preamp in their line. I also found a Marantz preamp. Both have Balanced XLR outputs and rack mounting. That seems exciting to me as I have many amps laying around for PA use.
    Does anyone here use either of these preamps in their system? Do you like them?
    How about the newer Denon integrated receivers?
    I think the Yamaha lineup sounds great. I just feel their power output is limited. One day for no apparent reason my Yamaha seemed twice as loud? Never again though. I replaced cables and tried different settings. I believe it has some type of limiter or protection kicking in?
    Thanks for any helpful opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by engineerjoe View Post
    I thought I could ask here instead of a brand new duplicate type post.
    I just got some of the JBL 500 series speakers to add to my house system. They seem to like better power than my Yamaha RX685 puts out. I connected them to my older Kenwood system and they rock but there's no HDMI inputs on that one.
    I'm looking at the Denon line of 7.2 surround sound receivers. I noticed they have a preamp in their line. I also found a Marantz preamp. Both have Balanced XLR outputs and rack mounting. That seems exciting to me as I have many amps laying around for PA use.
    Does anyone here use either of these preamps in their system? Do you like them?
    How about the newer Denon integrated receivers?
    I think the Yamaha lineup sounds great. I just feel their power output is limited. One day for no apparent reason my Yamaha seemed twice as loud? Never again though. I replaced cables and tried different settings. I believe it has some type of limiter or protection kicking in?
    Thanks for any helpful opinions.
    A few questions.

1. Why does HDMI matter? Will this be part of a video system?

2. A separate preamp or Pre/pro if you need video and surround modes will definitely be better, which Marantz were you looking at?

3. What is your approximate budget?

Widget

Thread Information