Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JBL Synthesis 1 Subwoofer

Obsolete
    Sorry Bo, I deleted the post when I realized I was just hashing over what you and Rob said.

As for the 2245H comment, I think I said -

If I had to chose only one thing I like most about the 2245H it would be that even with as little as 1 watt input, you still "Get it All".

But seriously, I'm back to this post because I want to know how Mike really feels

The theory of a smaller driver being "quicker" is valid I suppose. The theory is shot to hell if the smaller driver has a heavier moving mass or a weaker motor. The choice of words might be the error. I understand your point that for any given frequency the smaller driver isn't going to be quicker or faster, 50 Hz is indeed 50 Hz and that's what makes it 50 Hz. But I think you reinforced the common perception of "quickness" with the sentence "The large magnets on JBL woofs and subwoofs, for example, provide great cone control and start, stop, and reverse very well!!!" and probably therein lies the reason why certain transducers are deemed "faster" or "quicker" than others. Attack and decay. Mass and acceleration/deceleration. "Fast" is a term used to describe a transducer like the E145/150-4H. Although I'd put it in the "really fast" category

The 4645C is indeed "fast" enough and "quick" enough to render an audio playback of several tightly spaced 105mm artillery hits as intended, instead of as one big burp.

"The dumb (#*^(#@$ that think that some cabinet with a bunch of small drivers is going to combine to make great, deep bass, with additional "speed" are morons..............."

The concept of scaling is valid. Two 4645C's for a real small venue, perhaps a dozen for a big venue. A bank of E145's will be perceived as "faster" or "quicker" than a bank of 2245H's simply because the E145's have such fantastic transient character. Gotta pay the piper though, those E145's simply will not do what the 2245H's can do way down low.

Scaling occurs in transducers themselves as well. An example would be the excellent scaling done with the 2235H and 2245H. JBL increased the electromagnetic force of the 2245H to sufficiently deal with the increased moving mass and compliance resistance in such a way that, in reality, one might be hard pressed to tell the difference between the transient character of a properly loaded 2235H and a properly loaded 2245H.

Now the scaling of the 124/2203 and the 136/2231 is interesting. I remember a conversation with Mark Gander WAY back in the 70's about this driver... Basically a 12" basket and cone with the whole back end of a 136/2231 bolted to it, ROFLOL. (Kinda like slinging a 454 big block into a Vega). But... we're all used to listening to the 124/2203 in a 4315 and the 136/2231 in a 4333. Well that much volume on the 124/2203 "kills" any "speed" or "quickness" advantage is might otherwise have had (same motor as a 136/2231 operating on 50 grams less moving mass). Result was the 4315 didn't really show any "speed" or "quickness" advantage in the bottom end even though it used a smaller driver. Now, pop that little beast into a 1.6 cubic foot space tuned up to 40Hz or so and bang! There comes all that transient advantage back with a rush. Gotta pay the fiddler though. Deep bass then goes bye bye and it is no longer able to maintain the same bandwidth as the 136A/2231A in a 4333 enclosure.

Anyway, maybe I'm all wet. That's just my take on the matter.
    Last edited by 4313B; 07-01-2003 at 12:32 PM.

Yes, scaling is, of course, valid, (and the sound reinforcement concept of coupling,etc.) but my point was the guy who stuffs three 6.5 inch "woofers" in a box, thinks he now has the surface area to perform like one large woofer, and that not only is he equaling the woof but bettering it because the 6.5's are "faster".....

Here are some fun pages for common reference (BTW, I'm not really a Stereophile fan)

Bass terms

http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?26:1

and from another archive

"fast: Giving an impression of extremely rapid reaction time, which allows a reproducing system to "keep up with" the signal fed to it. (A "fast woofer" would seem to be an oxymoron, but this usage refers to a woofer tuning that does not boom, make the music sound "slow," obscure musical phrasing, or lead to "one-note bass.") Similar to "taut," but referring to the entire audio-frequency range instead of just the bass. "

From An Audio Glossary by J Gordon Holt

I guess as much as anything, I'm trying to rebut the notion that because a big woofer is big, it must be "slow". That is only ususally true of white football players.

MBB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete
    Understood

There we go! Nice find on the glossary!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 4313B; 07-01-2003 at 08:31 PM.

MJC
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Robh3606
    [ The bass from them beats the pants off of any 10 or 12 I have ever used. You have to look the distortion too. A 10" drivers is going to be working a lot harder for the same SPL. Basically it all boils down to the most air volume with the lowest distortion, lowest power compression. I think a well designed big driver properly tunned will win in most cases.

I've got two 12" subs; one is a new 250w JBL PB12 and the other is in an old B212 box, with a new 150w amp and a Peerless driver. And now that I've got them in their correct postions the combo kicks ass. I was watching the movie "Don't say a word" and didn't realize how much bass is in that movie. It was loud, presise and it shook the floor.
    Now I do have 3 LE14As that I have been thinking of making into subs, but I don't want to blow out the voice coils, as I did with the 121 in the B212. That was done with the new 150w amp that now drives the Peerless.

Obsolete
    IMO dual 12" subs based on the 4" edgewound copper ribbon voice coil are the bare minimum for HT. I have more than a dozen dual 12" subs in the field based on the 124/2203, most of them powered by GFA-555's, and none have ever blown.

Hello MJC

"I've got two 12" subs; one is a new 250w JBL PB12 and the other is in an old B212 box, with a new 150w amp and a Peerless driver."

Glad you are happy with the set-up.

"And now that I've got them in their correct postions the combo kicks ass."

Yeah placement is really important. Didn't say they weren't good! Just that with what I have used I like the big drivers better.

"Now I do have 3 LE14As that I have been thinking of making into subs, but I don't want to blow out the voice coils, as I did with the 121 in the B212."

I use 2 LE-14A's with the Parts Express 250 Watt plate amps. No problems at all just don't use any EQ on them. They mated with 4655's like glove and kept up no problem. Unless you have a huge space or like bass boost they should work just fine.

MJC
    using the LE14a subs might be better, but being I already had the B212 box figured I might as well use it. And I bought the PB12 at about 1/2 the mrp after I blew up the 121a. I had the amp(parts express 150w/8ohm) set to about 50% volume when the 121a got ripped by a huge explosion.

Obsolete
    If you use two 121A/121H wired in parallel and spaced close together you will double the power capacity and increase the efficiency by 6 dB. This is a substantial improvement. The bandwidth of the B212 is quite remarkable. It has a very heavy cone (162 grams!) coupled to an extremely powerful motor with the result being a free air resonance of ~ 12.5 Hz and a Qts of ~ 0.175. Unfortunately it is over 25 years old and doesn't benefit from newer high temperature adhesives and improved heat sinking so power capacity is limited. Another consideration is that it is mounted in a 2.0 cubic foot sealed enclosure and rolls off at ~ 12 dB/octave instead of 24dB/octave like fourth-order vented enclosures do. Today's DVD's can have quite a bit of information down in the VLF which can overtax a single B212. Used in pairs and quads and coupled to improved amplification instead of the stock E212 Energizer they are extremely effective. AND each 12" only requires 2.0 cubic feet of real estate.

To obtain the same bandwidth from a 2242H would require a 20 cubic foot sealed enclosure but it can be done if you have the real estate

Anyway, enough of defending the 121A/H, you would probably be happier using LE14's in vented enclosures. Not as good in the transient department but certainly more efficient and lower distortion per watt input.

jandregg

small but fast

haven't seen these before, but they fit this thread

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=23794

Obsolete

Re: small but fast

We used 4682's as full range SR systems, they are not subs They are pretty weak below 80 to 100 Hz.

Niklas Nord
    My friend Neriks on this forum
    runs 4 of the JBL 2242H in his
    system, and it sounds sweet,
    it has details, attack, and no
    distorsion that i can hear.

It is SO dynamic that itīs scary,
    a really nice setup!

It can make the whole house rumble,
    i love his system, his dream came true
    with this one i think.

neriks
    Originally posted by Niklas Nord
    My friend Neriks on this forum
    runs 4 of the JBL 2242H in his
    system, and it sounds sweet,
    it has details, attack, and no
    distorsion that i can hear.

It is SO dynamic that itīs scary,
    a really nice setup!

Niklas Nord,

I'm glad you like my system! Perhaps we can meet when I visit Stockholm soon?

Niklas Nord
    iīl drop ypu a mail

Thread Information