On a recent thread: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ded-crossovers one of several divergent topics from the original topic dove into the discussion of imaging.

Like everything else in this hobby, there are many opinions on how to get great imaging. That said, I'm not even sure we are all taking about the same thing when we discuss imaging.

I define imaging as the the speaker's soundstage. In my opinion for there to be imaging you typically do need to have a setup where you can sit at an equidistant vertex of a triangle. I realize for many this is simply not possible. While it is still possible to have a very satisfying musical experience I don't think outstanding imaging will be possible.

To me a speaker with outstanding imaging will create a holographic soundstage when playing back recordings that are recorded in a manner where there is the appropriate sonic information. If the recording has been recorded in a manner that preserves spatial details, you may hear sounds apparently coming from deep behind the plane of the speakers as well as infront of them. A vocalist may be so locked into the center there appears to be narrow window from which they are singing, and sounds may appear far to the left or right of the speakers and sometimes sounds or instruments even seem to be behind you. I've heard "audiophiles" refer to this as having speakers that "disappear".

Most speakers will throw some form of image and create a soundstage that is likely not that far off from what we are likely to hear at a typical live musical performance. That said, speakers with outstanding imaging create an immersive soundstage that can be quite compelling. This sort of imaging occasionally occurs in live music, but not typically.

I recently moved and am currently using my 1400 Array speakers as my primary speakers and am simply blown away by their imaging. Of the JBL speakers I've heard a lot over the years these are hands down the best at creating this holographic illusion. The M2s are supposed to also do this and likely do, but I have not spent that much time with them and didn't hear them with music that was recorded to create such an immersive soundstage. Also I believe associated electronics and sources also have a pronounced affect on the soundstage/imaging of a system. Perhaps when I've heard the M2s the electronics didn't allow the speakers to perform at their best.

As I write this I'm listening to Deep Forest - Boheme. There are sounds from nature, birds etc. that are far off to the left, right, and even behind me. It sounds like a Dolby Atmos system... but it is only a two channel system. The music is spinning off a hard drive in a Mac Mini, through a Bryston BDA 2, controlled by my Mark Levinson 326S and powered by an old GAS Son of Ampzilla biased to stay in class A until loud peaks. Is this the end all of all time? No. I still prefer the Everests with unlimited dynamics and a bit punchier sound all around, but like most speakers even those amazing Everests can not compete with some of the best mini monitors or these 1400 Arrays when it comes to imaging.

Widget